Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Am I F'd??

This is a discussion on Am I F'd?? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by lmyers1 How do I determine if its the seals or a valve guide issue without pulling the ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by lmyers1 View Post
    How do I determine if its the seals or a valve guide issue without pulling the head?
    Well start cheap imho. Get a new set of seals and install them first. Then see if there is a change in oil consumption, and the fouling. If no change well you'll have to pull the heads. There's just no way around it if valve seals don't cure it..

Once the head/s are removed pull a set of valves out one @ a time mark them for placement and mic them @ various points to see how bad the wear is to their stems. If they check out ok then put them back exactly where they came out of. BUT if the tops of the valve stems are sharp, you'll need to dress the edges so not to damage the guides when putting the valves back through. How I've done it is with a very small, very fine machine file and only enough to take the sharpness off. Don't file all over the spot where your rockers sit. Just very slightly where they are sharp.. Don't just use your big handy metal file they are too harsh of a cut and wil ruin the valves if used..And remember to use it only in one direction, not back and fourth. Another way is with very fine oxide sand paper with an amount of machine oil on the paper in the 2500 grit range, remember you're only taking off a very minute amount to get rid of the sharpness, not to overly reshape it. I've used a peice of heavy leather to polish the areas filed afterwards before. Your alternative is either new heads or a valve job..Good luck..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-23-2009 at 09:48 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Now before I catch any BS from folks over what I just said. Save it! I've been doing this techque for years with no trouble. If you watch what the hell your doing you wont mess anything up..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-23-2009 at 09:46 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Now before I catch any BS from folks over what I just said. Save it! I've been doing this techque for years with no trouble. If you watch what the hell your doing you wont mess anything up..
    .................................................. ................................ i know talkie

Arctic White
    98 Z-28

Thanks for the advice...I'll see what I can do. Probably won't be until after Thanksgiving.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lmyers1 View Post
    Thanks for the advice...I'll see what I can do. Probably won't be until after Thanksgiving.
    No prob. If you don't already know, you can use compressed air to hold the valves up while the heads are still on. Makes it a little easier to do seals. Just have to rotate the engine (by hand) so each set of valves are closed the whole way.

Blue
    Dodge Magnum

And if you don't have an air compressor, try stuffing about 10' of cotton clothesline into a cylinder, then turning the engine so the piston pushes it against the valves.

Seriously, this works.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    And if you don't have an air compressor, try stuffing about 10' of cotton clothesline into a cylinder, then turning the engine so the piston pushes it against the valves.

Seriously, this works.
    You may have done this successfully but I just don't know what to say to this.........No I will just refrain......

Blue
    Dodge Magnum

Unless and until you have tried it, don't knock it. I haven't done it, but I've seen it work.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

He speaks the truth lol its commonly called the rope trick usually done with a small piece of rope but it does work!

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    He speaks the truth lol its commonly called the rope trick usually done with a small piece of rope but it does work!

Very ghetto IMO

Blue
    Dodge Magnum

But it works. Not everyone started with an air compressor in the garage!

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Yup in the muscle car days a compact air compressor in everyones garage is wasnt too common being 19 i know these things lmao.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information