Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Am I close to 400rwhp?

With the following mods, how close to the magic number am I?
    LS6, with stock LS6 heads,LT SLP headers, catted Y pipe, LM, SLP CAI w/ lid,
    Comp cam 228/230 571/573 @112 Beehive springs, chrome moly rods.
    tell me I'm close. I've been told that on a Mustang dyno, I'll only be at, or around 335RWHP even with a tune! I better get more than that! Opinions please gentlemen, (and ladies) too.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

ya should be close to 400...370-400..

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

with proper tuning on a dyno jet you would be around 400 hp.
    dont worry much about dyno numbers, the track is the true test.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Quote Originally Posted by 01LSS6Camaro View Post
    LS6, with stock LS6 heads,LT SLP headers, catted Y pipe, LM, SLP CAI w/ lid, Comp cam 228/230 571/573 @112, Beehive springs, chrome moly rods....

I've been told that on a Mustang dyno, I'll only be at, or around 335RWHP even with a tune! I better get more than that! Opinions please gentlemen, (and ladies) too....
    I've seen stock engines reaching close to those numbers (335-RWHP) with just a custom tune. Who's telling you this in reference to your mods....?

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Believe it or not...the guys who are installing the LS6, and performing the tuning! They told me that their dyno is very stingy. That on anyone else's dyno (not a Mustang in other words) that I would be at or aroung 385. I expected to lose about 12% or so through a M6, but not that much!!! I'm just waiting for the cam to arrive, then the whole new motor goes in. I didn't have any of the bolt ons with the original LS!. I also descreened the MAF for what that's worth.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Believe it or not...the guys who are installing the LS6, and performing the tuning! They told me that their dyno is very stingy. That on anyone else's dyno (not a Mustang in other words) that I would be at or aroung 385. I expected to lose about 12% or so through a M6, but not that much!!! I'm just waiting for the cam to arrive, then the whole new motor goes in. I didn't have any of the bolt ons with the original LS!. I also descreened the MAF for what that's worth.
    The supporting mods or in your case lack thereof will cork your LS6 big time. You can slap an LS7 in there and get nowhere near the 500 hp if even 400 with lack of bolt ons such as lid and headers and a decent exhaust.For what its worth a stock LS6 in a vette will pull 380 RWHP with a cam it should be even more no doubt your combo has the potential to put down 400 rwhp but your exhaust and intake track doesn't.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I'm not completely following you. I didn't have the bolt on mods with my original LS1, but when I bought the LS6, I at that time purchased ALL the bolt ons! I.E. SLP LT headers, CAI, smooth bellow, that's when I did the de-screening of the MAF, complete SLP LM exhaust with their catted 3" Y pipe, a Scec 2 clutch, Comp cam, with their performance springs, and their chrome moly pushrods. All these are waiting in the boxes to go in with the motor. While we are waiting on the cam, I was BSing with the installer/tuner of all these goodies, and said "What kind of numbers should I expect from this prize package worth almost $8000.00! That's when he said around 335 RWHP! I thought, you've got to be kidding me! I also asked about modifing the TB, or going with a 80mm MAF, and TB combo. That was when he told me they give minimal gains for the tuning hassles. But I do have the SLP CAI with lid for now. Thanks for your reply, and again, I must be missing something, because I was expecting around 400RWHP

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Oh I got ya I took it as you have no bolt ons. In which case I see no reason why you wouldn't now.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

What's wrong with your LS1? You do know that the main differences between a LS6 and a LS1 are the heads/cam right? So you're pretty much buying a whole LS6 just for the heads? Hell you could have a LS6 block in your 01 maro right now...you'd be wasting money if you're buying a whole LS6.

Do you see what i'm saying? You're not using the LS6 cam...you might already have the block...you have the intake manifold already.

If i was you i'd keep the LS1(possible LS6 block) put some AFR heads on her(better then the LS6 heads), the comp cam that you bought, all the bolt-ons and have them tune her.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    What's wrong with your LS1? You do know that the main differences between a LS6 and a LS1 are the heads/cam right? So you're pretty much buying a whole LS6 just for the heads? Hell you could have a LS6 block in your 01 maro right now...you'd be wasting money if you're buying a whole LS6.

Do you see what i'm saying? You're not using the LS6 cam...you might already have the block...you have the intake manifold already.

If i was you i'd keep the LS1(possible LS6 block) put some AFR heads on her(better then the LS6 heads), the comp cam that you bought, all the bolt-ons and have them tune her.
    Ahhh...I remember the morning as if it was yesterday...I went out and fired her up to go to work, and with a mighty BLAMMO! One of my con rods let go launching a piston right through the block completely destroying it in the process. Not to mention the damage to the passenger side head. After much thought, as this was after only a few months of ownership, we decided to go with the LS6 and you know the rest of the story. Which of us would even consider dropping a stock LS6 in her, when you might as well do all the mods before you drop it in. Cam..headers..etc..but you made a good point, if I didn't have a wasted block, this would have been a complete waste of money!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Ahhh...I remember the morning as if it was yesterday...I went out and fired her up to go to work, and with a mighty BLAMMO! One of my con rods let go launching a piston right through the block completely destroying it in the process. Not to mention the damage to the passenger side head. After much thought, as this was after only a few months of ownership, we decided to go with the LS6 and you know the rest of the story. Which of us would even consider dropping a stock LS6 in her, when you might as well do all the mods before you drop it in. Cam..headers..etc..but you made a good point, if I didn't have a wasted block, this would have been a complete waste of money!
    Damn that sucks bro...good luck with the LS6

Thread Information