Black

Cool after I put the cam in it it ticks ????

I put a cam in my 2002 trans am. For some reason and I should say I think it has always had this tick just seems louder now. But anyways I start it up and you don't hear anything its quiet but just about when it gets to set temp it starts this like ticking noise and does it for about maybe 2 mins then stops I have know idea what it is. It sounds like its coming form the driver side of the motor thought it was the headers but don't think it is. Any ideas.

Silver
    2000 z28

could be an exhaust leak at your header gasket maybe not sure ive never seen one quiet then ticking then quiet

383/372 CMS tuned
    2000 z28

did you check your pushrod length

98 Formula
    06 duramax

did you do cam only? What other mods did you do at the time of the cam swap?

Black

I got the cam kit from thunder racing cam pushrods springs. Um I had the computer programed by thunder racing ported tb headers exhausted air lid bigger mass sencer stuff like that is what is done to it.

Black

oh just the cam springs pushrods and computer when I put the cam in it. had to put a map sencer in it too.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you say it was there before the cam swap right? Have you checked the torque on the header bolts? My first thought was a lifter or pushrod issue but if it's starting off quiet then I doubt that's correct. Check those bolts for the headers if you haven't already. Also, do you have the air system hooked up on the headers or are there provisions for them? Might check those flanges to make sure there's no leak there.

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Just to be on the safe side, I would recommend pulling the valve covers off and making sure everything is ok. Check for broken springs, loose rockers, bent push rods, etc., but like Orion stated 'It's not likely anything is messed up because of the quiet start up'. Of course before doing all of that I would look to see if there's an exhaust leak at the head, just like mentioned before. I've heard this story many times before, and lets just say 90% of the time it's because of an exhaust leak. The other 10% it's pushrod length, broken spring, loose rockers, etc.

Black

Ok I will look at all that again I did check to see if the rockers where tight but did not check the pushrods or springs. I will look again just to make sure thanks guys. I will say it drives me up a wall hate stuff like that lol.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    Just to be on the safe side, I would recommend pulling the valve covers off and making sure everything is ok. Check for broken springs, loose rockers, bent push rods, etc., but like Orion stated 'It's not likely anything is messed up because of the quiet start up'. Of course before doing all of that I would look to see if there's an exhaust leak at the head, just like mentioned before. I've heard this story many times before, and lets just say 90% of the time it's because of an exhaust leak. The other 10% it's pushrod length, broken spring, loose rockers, etc.
    X1000! Make syre your valvetrain is ok. Make sure your springs and lifters are ok. Check the rods while your at it. Why did you have higher rating springs and all that before the cam swap?
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

did you TQ your rockers down to the right TQ specs??? if it sounds like a sewing machine it's more than likely your rockers...

Black

I did the springs push rods and cam all at the same time got it all from thunderracing. Its all comp stuff

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by breathnitrous View Post
    I did the springs push rods and cam all at the same time got it all from thunderracing. Its all comp stuff
    what part of PA are you from???

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    what part of PA are you from???
    LOL come to Spaz's picnic!!!

Thread Information