Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

AFR or PATRIOT

This is a discussion on AFR or PATRIOT within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos Everything I have heard over the last 1-2 years says they have fixed them. 3 ...

Cyber Gray
    2009 A6 Z51 C6 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Everything I have heard over the last 1-2 years says they have fixed them.
    3 people I know blew up motors in the last 2 years and gained no power from their heads they are junk

Red
    1999 Trans Am

AFR's

Mine served me well and made big power. My favorite thing to be asked was, 'Those are AFR's, aren't they?' ... then, I would enjoy the look on their faces. It would happen most times I would have my hood popped either at the track or at meet's, etc.

AFR's are very well respected heads. The right combination on a full-weight car

OBSSD: Your OP was May2006. Before you first posted 2+ years ago(roughly), there was an issue with faulty valves. AFR did a phenomenal job of taking care of the issue. All head designers/manufacturers have had bad head components at one time or other ... usually because of faulty valvetrain parts made by other companies.

I can't speak for the Patriots .... no experience there. They did have a similar issue before AFR did. From my understanding, Patriot took care of it appropriately for their customers.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by OBSSSD View Post
    3 people I know blew up motors in the last 2 years and gained no power from their heads they are junk
    Thats a pretty tall statement.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

My TSP 402 is still running very strong with them.

Cyber Gray
    2009 A6 Z51 C6 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Thats a pretty tall statement.
    Yes it is and after I watched Patriot do nothing to take care of these customers other than offer to replace the heads after the fact I'm comfortable making it. I've seen nothing but junk from them for years and until I see otherwise my opinion will be the same. Everyone who has been around long enough knows all too well about all the problems there have been the last few years with their stuff. Sure some people are happy but why take the chance?

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Bloated numbers.
    Requires ALL the bolt-ons to even come close to that number.

Cam = $400
    AFR heads = $2100
    Where did that other $500 go???
    SLP = ripoff
    where are you finding AFR Mongoose heads for 2100?... I've only seen them for 2375$

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

. I've seen nothing but junk from them for years and until I see otherwise my opinion will be the same. Everyone who has been around long enough knows all too well about all the problems there have been the last few years with their stuff.
    I guarantee you start a poll in AAG where plenty of people see it with "who has Patroit heads" ? You will find that they are a very decent head for the money and people are making great numbers with them. I know they had problems.... years ago. Anyone who has been around lately knows that.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

I'm running the Patriot stg2 LS6 heads and for the price, yeah, they are good. I believe the flow #'s on mine were 304 so it's a little better than the 5.3's. If I remember the AFR 205 flow 320. Unfortunately, the quality of the head isn't that impressive. There were burrs left on the heads after they got done and one was milled more than the other. I'd love to have an AFR or Trick Flow set of heads, but don't want to spend that kind of money. I'll actually be taking these heads off this winter and replacing them with some 5.3's I bought in a junk yard for $130. I'm having them milled and ported for half the price of new Patriot heads and will see more power by increasing the compression. Unfortunately, I'll be running 100+ octane permanently so I don't recommend it for a daily driver pump gas car.

If your going for a budget build, then yes, Patriots are decent heads. If your willing to spend a little more, then look at some of the PRC heads over at TSP. I've heard good things about those and the quality seems a lot better.

Good luck with the build.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I'll speak from 40 years of messing with heads
    1. All head manufacturers mentioned in this thread have flow benches/testing labs etc. and skilled degreed folks on staff in R&D.
    2. All head manufacturers mentioned in this thread have had issues with a batch or two of screwed up heads going out. Almost without exception this was due a screwed up CNC program cutting the wrong angle etc. Not just one.
    3. All head manufacturer's mentioned in this thread make better power than stock heads.
    4. The difference in quality and power made between the manufacturers mentioned in this thread is so minuscule it is a non factor.
    5. Customer service and product support is key to a successful head swap.

I have used them all. Patriot is superior value due their quality control/customer service IMHO and experience.

Navy Blue
    2000 SS

Prior to modifying my motor in my 2000 SS I did my own research on the internet. I put a set of AFR 205 heads on my 2000 SS. I could tell the difference with just the heads. I like them, and yes they do cost more. I also found their tech support very helpful in purchasing a cam that works well with the heads and advice on rocker arms. No I do have other modification on the SS and push 624rwh.

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ers_run003.jpg
    Last edited by roblelp; 10-27-2008 at 09:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information