Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

AFR heads...What size cam???

This is a discussion on AFR heads...What size cam??? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by LS2Tuner Call Cam Motion with ALL your specs. http://www.cammotion.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=93 And do yourself a favor don't lie to ...

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Call Cam Motion with ALL your specs.
    http://www.cammotion.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=93
    And do yourself a favor don't lie to them about the 25+ ?'s they ask. ANYTIME YOU BUY ANY CAM TALK TO THERE TECH PEOPLE OR PERSON AND TELL THEM YOUR COMPLETE SET-UP!
    Don't just go buy an off the shelf cam cause someone else recommended it.
    It need to be tailored after your application.........Car weight,trans.type,conv.,gear,tire dia,head flow @ what lift?,comp. ratio,deck height,car purpose,ex. size,nos,ect.

This is the only way you are going to insure you get what you want.And if not you can call them back and say look I told you exactly what I wanted....You sold some WAY too aggressive cam that loads up and the power band is not what I need or want!

That will also make sure that the cam is made to work with what your AFRs flow to get the most you can.
    Yea thats true I need to do more research i dont know much about cams. I'm gonna call one of the companies and find out. As far as quality whose better Comp, Texas Speed, or should i just make a custom one with the specs on my car. The tune is also a huge deal. I need to get my car dynoed becuase as of now i'm not sure how much power its making. but its deff not what im supposed to. I was messing around with my friend in a stock z28 and we were dead even. He has an slp CAI and a catback. I have kooks headers and ORY, LM1, ls6 intake (EGR taken out), and SLP CAI.

You could do what I did,,,,and what has already been suggested.

I bought AFR heads and had AFR and Comp Cams discuss it with each other to come up with a nice custom ground camshaft that fit my particular car and my needs.

I have to say they did an excellent job, it's everything I could ask for,,,,well except for one minor detail,,,,,make sure AFR installs the correct valve springs for the application,,,,they didn't in my case and it wiped the camshaft out,,,,so I had to start all over again.

RED
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

I bought AFR heads and had AFR and Comp Cams discuss it with each other to come up with a nice custom ground camshaft that fit my particular car and my needs.

I have to say they did an excellent job, it's everything I could ask for,,,,well except for one minor detail,,,,,make sure AFR installs the correct valve springs for the application,,,,they didn't in my case and it wiped the camshaft out,,,,so I had to start all over again.
    Springs killed the camshaft? sounds more like an oiling issue?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

Wow that sucks. Well how will i know if that wont happen to me? If i did something like that i would be trusting the proffesionals and hope that they would make the right decision. I guess i just have to do more research and learn more about cams and heads

Quote Originally Posted by davered00ss View Post
    Springs killed the camshaft? sounds more like an oiling issue?
    No sir, this definately fell on AFR's shoulders.

I bought their CNC machined heads. They also wanted to spec a custom ground camshaft, so we all got on the phone with Comp Cams. I wanted a hydraulic roller for less maintainance, otherwise I left it in the hands of AFR and Comp.
    From there they came up with a nice custom grind that is very streetable and takes advantage of the head flow characteristics too.

Problem was AFR set the heads up with springs designed for a "SOLID" roller cam that had spring pressures of 600 lbs. over the nose, and something like 320 lbs. at the seat. WAY too much spring pressure for a hydraulic roller.

At the time all of comp cams hydraulic rollers were ground from cast iron, just like your typical flat tappet cam. Only the solid rollers were billet steel to withstand those types of spring pressures.

Needless to say, that much spring pressure on a cast iron hydraulic roller wiped off one of the cam lobes after about 2,000 miles, also was causing the lifters to bleed down slightly but not enough to effect it. Passed metal throughout the motor and caused a complete teardown. Not to mention 10 out of 16 springs were broken,,,,,solid roller springs of that strength don't like extended street miles.

AFR wouldn't accept responsibility blaming me for not checking the springs,,,,whatever When you pay $3,000 for a set of heads from a reputable place like AFR you expect them to be right! Especially since they specified the camshaft and everything was on the paperwork! If not I would expect better customer service after the fact.

In any event, this little setback cost me another $3,000 to fix. I called Comp Cams who was more than willing to set this engine straight, very helpfull, they custom ground another camshaft and changed a couple of the numbers while we were at it,,,since I had some dyno runs on the motor I could give more info to Comp and the quest to squeak a little more power began,,,,so not all was bad. Anyway,,,,I had to buy new lifters as well as we didn't trust the others after the metal passage, and all that spring pressure on a hydraulic roller isn't a good thing. New springs etc......and a nice bonus is now all of the hydraulic rollers from Comp are ground from billet steel now,,,so I got a stronger piece out of the deal.
    Lesson learned,,,,check your springs are setup correctly with the correct seat pressures, no matter where the heads come from.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

alright ill make sure i do that. That sucks though. but at least it kinda worked out for u in the end. for now im thinking just doing a cam. i need to get my car dynoed first. i think i'm loosing a little power with the setup that i have now. I have a full exhuast (kooks headers, ORY, and LM1) ls6 intake, and slp CAI. I havent gotten the car tuned. I was messing around with my friend who has a stock z28. hes got a catback and CAI and from a 20mph roll we were dead even. I was flabberghasted and kinda pissed. so i want to see what my cars making. With the stuff i have on now i should have like 30 hp or something to the wheels. At least thats what i thought.

Navy Blue
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by cono38m5 View Post
    Hey guys. I want to do heads and cam on my 2000 ss. I have kooks long tubes with off-road y pipe, an ls6 intake and slp air lid and lm1 cat back.. I was looking at the AFR 205 heads but i dont really know what cam i should go with?? I want something that is streetable but yet have a good amount of power. I was also keeping nitrous as a option in the future. Thanks for your replies.

Hey don't know if you got a cam yet, but I have a 2000 SS with AFR 205 heads. If your looking for a mild lube but yet good noticable power I went with this cam. This is the cam AFR reconmended. Tony at AFR can and will help you out. With other add on's, several actually I make great numbers.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...oblelp/cam.jpg
    http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ers_run003.jpg
    Last edited by roblelp; 10-29-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

wow awsome man thanks. Those are some big numbers

Navy Blue
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by cono38m5 View Post
    wow awsome man thanks. Those are some big numbers
    Hey don't miss understand me I did do other modifications to get those numbers. You should get 400-425 with the 205s and cam.

here's the modification made to my 2000 Chevy Camaro SS.

Grannatelli High performance Mass Airflow Senor
    90mm Throttle Body
    FAST LSX 90mm Intake Manifold
    Comp Cams Roller Cam Duration, .050 Intake 224-Exhausts 228. Valve Lift Intake .581-Exhaust .588
    Roller lifters
    AFR 205cc LS1 Mongoose Street Head, (2.020 intake and 1.600 exhaust valves)
    Pro Charger D-1 SuperCharger
    60 Pound Fuel Injectors
    Bassani Y Pipe Exhaust
    Bolar CAT Back Exhaust with Chrome Tips
    Edelbrock’s LS1 Headers (short)
    Spec 3 Plus Clutch
    Moser rear end with 4:10 Gears
    10mm Taylor Wire Set (plug cables)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information