AFR 225 too much?

Ok, would it be ok to use the AFR 225 heads without an intake manifold? Cause I plan on getting the stroker kit and a cam but cant afford it all at the same time. I have headers, ORY, lid, magnaflow catback.
    Last edited by billabong26z; 01-20-2006 at 09:00 AM.

anybody?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I'm thinking that those heads without the cam or displacement might be lazy on the bottom. When you are talking about as much of an upgrade as this, I would suggest saving to do it all at once.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

LS1+LT1=980hp

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am Firehawk

Thumbs up

You can make power 3 ways - big heads - big cam - or both - but with a small intake and big heads you probably won't lose much low end because of a small cam right now - now if you have a big cam and a large head - then you will lose a lot of velocity at low engine speeds!
    BMRacing LT1 - Ls1 - 4.6mod - 5.0 - Some Imports

Red
    1999 Z28

AFR 205 stock cubes, But if you do do a stroker gut the AFR 225

I was thinking about going with the TR 227/230 .563/.569 114 cam, would this cam work well with the 225cc heads?
    Last edited by billabong26z; 01-27-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Damn nice set of heads!

I assume you are still running the stock LS1 intake and haven't upgraded to the LS6 piece.

Running the 225's now, will affect your low end torque. You will also run into a slight amount of reversion. A condition caused by the intake port mismatch between the intake and the heads. The transition or step from the smaller intake port to the larger port on the heads will cause the air to start to swirl and tumble creating turbulence in the intake port. This tumbling will reduce air flow and cause some fuel and air to travel in the opposite direction back into the intake (reversion). This will tend to cause varnish deposits in the intake track and premature carbon build up on the backside of the intake valve and inside the combustion chamber. Other symptoms include possible off-idle stumble and sluggish low speed performance, and in extreme cases, lean backfire through the intake.

look-up the flow-bench numbers for the heads you are interested in. Compare the flow & lift values to really help you in finalizing proper cam selection for the heads and the RPM range you want this engine to perform. Looks like the Cam you are interested is right in the ballpark for the flow #'s.

My advice is to wait! Collect your parts for your project, and build the entire package. Will save you a lot of aggravation in the long run.

Good Luck

appreciate all the advice, will definetly wait to build the entire engine.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i run my vinci ported heads on a LS1 intake on the wife's car. they are 224cc. with stock cam, i picked up 37 rwhp tuned.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by billabong26z
    Ok, would it be ok to use the AFR 225 heads without an intake manifold? Cause I plan on getting the stroker kit and a cam but cant afford it all at the same time. I have headers, ORY, lid, magnaflow catback.

Hell yes you need an intake manifold regardless of which head you use. LOL

Just kidding. I'd at least get an LS6 manifold. It's easy to change out later if you want to go 90/90.

Thread Information