Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Advantages and Disadvantages of stroking my motor...

Ok...Well im considering stroking my motor before i supercharge it and wanted to know some advantages and disadvantages about stroking it...Im sitting at 411/403RW on cam only now and have afr 205cc heads on the way...Now i know that if i stroke the motor i should go to afr225cc but how would my DD ability be with the stroker? And how much more power can i expect from it?

And BTW i was going to do a 408 stroker at 8:7:1CR so lemme know any ideas you might have and thanks in advance!!!

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Why 8.7:1? You adding a blower/turbo later on? More cubes will only enhance daily-driving if everything else is constant...

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

NeeD4SpeeD, man what cam do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by danziger View Post
    Why 8.7:1? You adding a blower/turbo later on? More cubes will only enhance daily-driving if everything else is constant...
    Yes i'm going to be adding a D1SC Procharger thats why i wanted the 408 low compression so it can handle the blower... And enhancing DD is always a nice plus!!

Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    NeeD4SpeeD, man what cam do you have?
    hey man i have a TR 236/242 .595/.605 111.5LSA along with a bunch of other mods... Such as Pacesetter LT headers, full true dual 3" exhaust w/ no cats, ls6 intake, SLP lid, 42.5# High imped injectors, ASP underdrive, Full drag suspension, meziere water pump, free ram air mod, ported TB, TB bypass all dynojet tuned and a few other goodies......

And now just waiting on my AFR 205cc 62cc heads to come home to daddy

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

nice; i'm doing a lot of reading up on all the different cam's here people have so i make sure i get a good one for my setup.

nice; i'm doing a lot of reading up on all the different cam's here people have so i make sure i get a good one for my setup.
    Yea get 1 that best suits your everday needs wheather it be a DD cam or monster cam just make sure ur content with it....I remember being at the buying cam stage now im looking to stroke it and supercharge it lol the mod bug got me baaaaaad

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

yeah my next step would be to stroke it, but that will be quite some time down the road. i'll be happy with this for a little while. hopefully i'll get the about the same numbers you got. i'm hoping for 400+/400+ or should i say i would like to get those numbers...lol.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

have you ran your car in the 1/4 since you have had those mods? if so what was your times?

Resident F-body helper
    What are you going to do with your pistons once your heads come in. The 236/242 cam is a nice sized cam and works well with the stock (non-ported) heads. Have you put any thought on clearance issues once your AFR's come in?

Nice combos by the way
    Eric @ WAR (Formerly Eric @ DMS)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric @ W.A.R. View Post
    What are you going to do with your pistons once your heads come in. The 236/242 cam is a nice sized cam and works well with the stock (non-ported) heads. Have you put any thought on clearance issues once your AFR's come in?

Nice combos by the way
    Thanks man! I heard clearence wouldnt be a problem with the afr's and the cam is just barely under the limit... I already have fully upgraded valveterrain to prevent float but to my understanding the pistons will be fine with the new afr heads....Why would you suspect otherwise?

have you ran your car in the 1/4 since you have had those mods? if so what was your times?
    I have ran my car but not with the power i have now i was alil less then 400/400 and pulled a 11.98 @121mph if i remember correctly im still trying to locate my time slip but that was at atco raceway where anycar hooks like its glues to the floor plus perfect evevation and the weather was 71 degrees so good running conditions but right now im hoping to be at 11.7 cuz i have 20 more RW then i did when i originally ran...

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

nice numbers. i'm hoping for the same. that would great! i was running 13-1's 13-3's stock on a m6. i could never get it to hook good, i was spinning in first and second, but that could be too because i was on street tires.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    Ok...Well im considering stroking my motor before i supercharge it and wanted to know some advantages and disadvantages about stroking it...Im sitting at 411/403RW on cam only now and have afr 205cc heads on the way...Now i know that if i stroke the motor i should go to afr225cc but how would my DD ability be with the stroker? And how much more power can i expect from it?

And BTW i was going to do a 408 stroker at 8:7:1CR so lemme know any ideas you might have and thanks in advance!!!
    Adding cubic inches to the motor will add torque to the motor....cubic inches=torque......air=HP.........
    As far as the compression ratio...how much boost are you planning on running.....

also.....when you stroke the motor you're basically saying "ok, I know I'm not going to get 150K miles out of this motor".........what I'm trying to say is eventually something is going to give......it'll be great while it lasts but it all catches up to us in the end.....regardless of how well we take care of it....as far as your cam......I'd talk to COMP and tell them exactly what you want to do.......have them grind one for you......just my thought I dont know if the one you have on there is ideal for forced induction......but like I said....just my thought.......

Resident F-body helper
    Thanks man! I heard clearence wouldnt be a problem with the afr's and the cam is just barely under the limit... I already have fully upgraded valveterrain to prevent float but to my understanding the pistons will be fine with the new afr heads....Why would you suspect otherwise?
    The specs on the cam initially seem like they "could" possibly cause P/V issues. But may not be a problem with the heads you're getting.

I've seen people hit intake and exhaust with a 226/230 .568/.571 113LSA cam and heads Milled .043, 2.02/1.60 valves. Are your heads .030 over?

Regardless it's wise to make sure clearance isn't an issue prior to running the engine. Whoever is doing the labor should check anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric @ W.A.R. View Post
    The specs on the cam initially seem like they "could" possibly cause P/V issues. But may not be a problem with the heads you're getting.

I've seen people hit intake and exhaust with a 226/230 .568/.571 113LSA cam and heads Milled .043, 2.02/1.60 valves. Are your heads .030 over?

Regardless it's wise to make sure clearance isn't an issue prior to running the engine. Whoever is doing the labor should check anyway.
    To my knowledge the heads are AFR LS1 205cc Mongoose fully CNC ported, 62cc chambers, Small Bore, NO PARTS 2.020 intake and 1.600 exhaust valves with AFR’s iron ductile interlocking valve seats 300 CFM at .600lift (the heads i just bought) and thats about all i know when i can find out more ill let u know

But the AFR Mongoose 225cc FULLY CNC 62cc Chambers Big BORE for the storked motor is 2.080 intake and 1.600 exhaust valves with AFR’s iron ductile interlocking valve seats

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

To my knowledge the heads are AFR LS1 205cc Mongoose fully CNC ported, 62cc chambers, Small Bore, NO PARTS 2.020 intake and 1.600 exhaust valves with AFR’s iron ductile interlocking valve seats 300 CFM at .600lift (the heads i just bought) and thats about all i know when i can find out more ill let u know
    If you end up selling those 205s, let me know...I might be able to find them a good home.

Oh im sure u will lolol

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

I think they'd sit real nice on my 383...

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac T/A WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    ......I'd talk to COMP and tell them exactly what you want to do.......have them grind one for you......just my thought I dont know if the one you have on there is ideal for forced induction......but like I said....just my thought.......
    That's what I was thinking, your going to have to do a cam swap if your going FI. With that cam your going to blowing boost out the exhaust. Too much overlap for boost.

Thread Information