blue and white
    99 transam 30th vert

99 ttransam cam question/ ls6 intake queistion

Gents, I have a 99 30th anniversay T/A convertible, I have added the following: 373 gears, transmission cooler, 2800 stall converter, sub frame connectors, shock tower brace, whisper lid, ported throttle body, all the free mods, long tube headers and computer tune. I am looking to do cam, need a little advice on this. Also I have the stock ls1 intake, thinking about an ls6 intake. It seems from what I read that for the money you may get 10 hp on the intake swap. Seems like I should just do the cam and springs for the money. Any words of wisdom? It seems to me that the ls6 is sort of a waste of money for the maybe 10 hp and I should go right to the cam and springs.
    Thanks,
    Andy

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

That LS6 intake will help a little more when you do the cam, your LS1 intake will hold the cam back, depending on the size of the cam.
    LS6 intake,B&M short shift, Pacesetter ceramic lt, ory, umi subframe connectors, umi lca, slp lid, tr 230 cam, comp 918 springs,centerforce dual friction clutch, Frost tune.

2003 TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Mellinger View Post
    That LS6 air intake will help a little more when you do the cam, your LS1 intake will hold the cam back, depending on the size of the cam.
    Heard the same thing about LS6 but looks like you got more knowledge about it. How can it help with the cam?
    Last edited by turtlesdove3; 06-18-2010 at 01:22 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesdove3 View Post
    Heard the same thing about LS6 but looks like you got more knowledge about it. How can it help with the cam?
    It helps get more air in, larger volume, more noticeable on the top end. I dont know what its worth on a stock engine, but it made a small difference in mine before the cam swap.

NBM
    2000 FRC Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by allpontiac View Post
    Gents, I have a 99 30th anniversay T/A convertible, I have added the following: 373 gears, transmission cooler, 2800 stall converter, sub frame connectors, shock tower brace, whisper lid, ported throttle body, all the free mods, long tube headers and computer tune. I am looking to do cam, need a little advice on this. Also I have the stock ls1 intake, thinking about an ls6 intake. It seems from what I read that for the money you may get 10 hp on the intake swap. Seems like I should just do the cam and springs for the money. Any words of wisdom? It seems to me that the ls6 is sort of a waste of money for the maybe 10 hp and I should go right to the cam and springs.
    Thanks,
    Andy
    Keep researching the LS6 intake... there's guys who will argue its just as good as a FAST 90... TPIS will convert your LS6 intake to a 90mm TB and they seem to put down some impressive numbers with them.

LS6 intake is worth the $300 used price, a ported TB or a 80mm will add a slight benifit. You'll have to grind a bit for the 80mm to fit.

red
    2000TA

do them both together and tune it only once.cam/springs/push rods will cost $600 ,$75 for a cam change kit.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Talking

Just finished my ls6 install, very impressed. Took my car for inspection sticker today in 90 degree heat w/a-c on, when I left got on it and the car went a lil sideways, ear to ear grin.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by allpontiac View Post
    Thanks,
    Andy
    unless you plan on doing a cam swap the only gains you will see are 5-10 hp but it will breath a lot easier now the same thing goes if your gonna cam it depending on how large of a cam you go with you will need all the supporting mods or you WILL be holding back your cams performance.

Thread Information