Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

91 vs 93 octane...difference?

This is a discussion on 91 vs 93 octane...difference? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 What about octane boosters...or are they just a gimmic? adds .1-.2 octane so you get 91.2 ...

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    What about octane boosters...or are they just a gimmic?
    adds .1-.2 octane so you get 91.2 instead of 91

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    adds .1-.2 octane so you get 91.2 instead of 91
    So just put about 5 of them in and you've raised it from 91-92! lol

So just put about 5 of them in and you've raised it from 91-92! lol
    Ya It would end up costing more than just going to the pump and just buying the $6 a gallon 114 octane.

Would be cheaper to mix 50/50 and still get more octane than dumping 10 cans of boost in there. Thats what my father did until we finally built him a pump gas motor.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

octane boosters will FRY your plugs....

Eh,,,I tried them in the past, late 80's early 90's. Never had any problems with plugs at all. The boosters just never did much of anything to be honest. I felt it was waisting money that could have been spent on better gas.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro z28

I live in SC and some places around here sell gas called white gas, it doesnt contain the 10%Ethanol that probably 99% of gas stations now sell. I actually talked to my neighbor about this he has a 70 Chevelle SS and was about to run braided lines inside his car. He said on a chevelle forum board ppl are complaining about the Ethanol eating the insides of the braided lines so be aware of that if anyone here is looking to replace some old Fuel lines. But anyways i run pure 93 w.o the 10%Ethanol in it and I don't remember any knocking or going on with mine. Not even any lag around the 2-3k rpm line like the thread started with. There's 1 local place that sells I think like 112 octane out of a pump but that stuff is like $15 a gallon and you cant even pump into your car cuz its race fuel its illegal. They make you buy only like 2 gallons at a time and put it in a jug lol. I'm thinking of experimenting.

Ethanol will deteriorate any rubber substance, whether it be fuel lines, accelerator pumps, needle and seats, fuel pump diaphrams etc...not just braided lines.
    The higher the concentration the worse it is. Which is why alot of people are not sold on the 85% ethanol gas made from corn. It also doesn't like cold weather.
    Any type of alcohol/ethanol mix is highly corosive.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 99LsOne View Post
    I live in SC and some places around here sell gas called white gas, it doesnt contain the 10%Ethanol that probably 99% of gas stations now sell. I actually talked to my neighbor about this he has a 70 Chevelle SS and was about to run braided lines inside his car. He said on a chevelle forum board ppl are complaining about the Ethanol eating the insides of the braided lines so be aware of that if anyone here is looking to replace some old Fuel lines. But anyways i run pure 93 w.o the 10%Ethanol in it and I don't remember any knocking or going on with mine. Not even any lag around the 2-3k rpm line like the thread started with. There's 1 local place that sells I think like 112 octane out of a pump but that stuff is like $15 a gallon and you cant even pump into your car cuz its race fuel its illegal. They make you buy only like 2 gallons at a time and put it in a jug lol. I'm thinking of experimenting.
    if you get race gas , just make sure its unleaded....the lead will clog o2 sensors and cats.
    I run cam2 or turbo blue (leaded race gas) in my 4wheeler, you have to pump it in a gas can here

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    if you get race gas , just make sure its unleaded....the lead will clog o2 sensors and cats.
    I run cam2 or turbo blue (leaded race gas) in my 4wheeler, you have to pump it in a gas can here
    Yep, when we were buying it in Bethel, Ohio, they were a nice bunch of guys running the station and just let us pull the cars up and fillup. It was all leaded 110 octane over there.

Impounded
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    Think I may have answered my own question but just was curious if anyone out there have had similar scenerios in their LS1's. I know these engines need premium gas to run well, but I had been going to a "discount" gas place that sold 91 octane as their top of the line gas. Never thought about it, but I had noticed my car losing power around 2500 rpms, usually just before shifting. I had the plugs, fuel filter changed, and even the fuel system cleaned last year, yet i would still notice a bit of hesitation from time to time. No engine lights came on, care idled, and cruised smoothly...just noticed this power loss. Not major, but noticeable. Since switching to 93 octane, it seems to be disapearing, no mechanic can tell me what it is w/out a light coming on, or charging me to start tearing the engine apart. Car has abut 75,000 miles on it. Has anyone else noticed a difference between 91 and 93 octane...and is it worth going to a place that sells even higher octane gas? I've heard also higher mileage cars, sometimes need the highest octane gas to run smoothly (even non-performance engines). Just wondering if anyone else has their 2 cents on this. Appreciate any thoughts from you guys!
    2 octane sorry couldnt resist

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Your government just mandated that ALL GAS STATIONS are now required to mix at least a 10% mixture of f*#+ing ethanol to all blends. And did you know that crap causes all kinds of problems in vehicle's not equiped for flex-fuel like a 10-20% drop in mileage not to mention advertised 93 octane is now no longer 93 octane but something less, like 89. Also your car now runs warmer and the ac doesn't cool as it did before .

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Your government just mandated that ALL GAS STATIONS are now required to mix at least a 10% mixture of f*#+ing ethanol to all blends. And did you know that crap causes all kinds of problems in vehicle's not equiped for flex-fuel like a 10-20% drop in mileage not to mention advertised 93 octane is now no longer 93 octane but something less, like 89. Also your car now runs warmer and the ac doesn't cool as it did before .
    It's not good stuff, that's for sure. Unfortunately our lovely government is shoving it down our throats anyway. And after the election things are only going to get worse for car people. Give it a couple more years.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It's not good stuff, that's for sure. Unfortunately our lovely government is shoving it down our throats anyway. And after the election things are only going to get worse for car people. Give it a couple more years.
    I can't wait!! lol

I can't wait!! lol
    Ya I am just overjoyed with excitement too

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    they all have ethanol now?
    that stuffs meant for aging in oak, not eating engines

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    they all have ethanol now?
    that stuffs meant for aging in oak, not eating engines
    I actually saw a gas station in southern VA the other day that had a big sign that said "OUR GAS HAS NO ETHANOL IN IT" all big letters just like that.
    the days of buying good pure gasoline are coming to an end......looks like firing up a still and making your own will be the only way soon

Ya I just read an article in Hot Rod that said Ethanol is not mandated as of yet. So there are stations around with pure gas. I have found a couple up here in Prescott.
    What they go on to say is.....there is a catch. Not all states are required to advertise that ethanol is being mixed with the gas.
    So there can be ethanol mixed but it's not advertised on the pumps. They recommended visiting a website that had a list of all states that are required to advertise ethanol mixture. So you at least know if you are living in a state that does in fact have to advertise it. They didn't give a particular site, I had to google it. I'll see if I can find it again.

Here's one.

http://www.e0pc.com/AZ.php

There is a list at the bottom of states mandated with 10% ethanol as of 2008. As you can see it's not many.

If you do a search for ethanol free gas in your particular state you can find stations that are 100% gasoline. That's what I did.
    You generally find them away from the big cities.
    There are a few states that have ethanol only in the lower grade fuels,,,but 91 octane and higher are free of ethanol. That would be great if every state followed that rule. That way the tree huggers can have there gas and us high performance drivers can have ours.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Here's one.

http://www.e0pc.com/AZ.php

There is a list at the bottom of states mandated with 10% ethanol as of 2008. As you can see it's not many.

If you do a search for ethanol free gas in your particular state you can find stations that are 100% gasoline. That's what I did.
    You generally find them away from the big cities.
    There are a few states that have ethanol only in the lower grade fuels,,,but 91 octane and higher are free of ethanol. That would be great if every state followed that rule. That way the tree huggers can have there gas and us high performance drivers can have ours.
    according to that site many of the states don't require mixing, but they don't require labeling either.
    does anyone know a cost effective means of testing the fuel for ethanol?

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    according to that site many of the states don't require mixing, but they don't require labeling either.
    does anyone know a cost effective means of testing the fuel for ethanol?
    Some states have it,,,and out of those states only some of them are required to label it. It just depends on how the law is working in any given state.
    That was just one website. There are literally dozens with good info. If you are looking for something specific all you have to do is google it. Just takes a little time reading, but alot of good info, right down to any gas stations left in your area selling 100% gas.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information