Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

91 vs 93 octane...difference?

This is a discussion on 91 vs 93 octane...difference? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Oh yea i saw they were doing that. I know there are people with some really nice cars on base, ...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Oh yea i saw they were doing that. I know there are people with some really nice cars on base, but it's rare you see them. I never take mine to work either. There is a very nice C6 always over by stratcom (amazing blue color). Occasionally, I see nice black c5 as well and a pewterish color NSX.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I would really like to see what 94 or a higher quality fuel would do. This bottom of the barrel tier stuff is pissing me off

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I would really like to see what 94 or a higher quality fuel would do. This bottom of the barrel tier stuff is pissing me off
    You guys don't have that down in Kentucky???

There are still quite a few Sunoco station in Ohio that have it. In and around Cinci it's not hard to find.
    Although my buddy that owns a Sunoco told me they plan to slowly faze out the 94. I was pretty bummed when he told me that.
    As a matter of fact,,when another Sunoco sold and another friend of mine bought that one,,,The fuel supplier wouldn't supply him with 94 anymore and he had to reopen the store with 93. It was shut down for about 3 months. I thought that was pretty poor on Sunoco's part to do that.
    But it proved to me that they do infact plan to get rid of the 94 octane eventually. You would think being a sponsor of Nascar (the official fuel) now that they would market the 94 as being the highest available etc...Oh well. It's sad,,,but I can tell you now that I'm stuck with 91 octane,,,,it sucks. It is no where near as good as the 94 I was using in Ohio.
    My 70 Formula is only good for putting around on it. Any judicious throttle movement requires a mix of 110.
    My 02 SS had a beautiful timing curve in Ohio on 94,,,that now pulls 1-2 degrees of timing out here on 91. And I've been fighting my wifes 2000 SS timing tables here lately for the past week or two. It had a boat load of timing in it from a previous shop tune,,although it never gave me problems on 94,,,but now that it's on 91 it's pulling 3-4 degrees in spots. It was horrible. I've had to completely revamp the entire curve and almost start over.
    The only car that hasn't complained a bit is the chevelle, although with it's aluminum heads and mild 10:1 compression, and large cam it could run on 89 if I had too. It dynoed on 93 shell gas with 38 degrees of timing without a hickup. I'm probably going to have to switch the firebird over to aluminum heads as well if I start driving it much more.
    The sad reality is that pump gas is going to continue to decline
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-27-2009 at 07:48 AM.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

There are still quite a few Sunoco station in Ohio that have it. In and around Cinci it's not hard to find.
    Although my buddy that owns a Sunoco told me they plan to slowly faze out the 94. I was pretty bummed when he told me that.
    As a matter of fact,,when another Sunoco sold and another friend of mine bought that one,,,The fuel supplier wouldn't supply him with 94 anymore and he had to reopen the store with 93. It was shut down for about 3 months. I thought that was pretty poor on Sunoco's part to do that.
    But it proved to me that they do infact plan to get rid of the 94 octane eventually. You would think being a sponsor of Nascar (the official fuel) now that they would market the 94 as being the highest available etc...Oh well. It's sad,,,but I can tell you now that I'm stuck with 91 octane,,,,it sucks. It is no where near as good as the 94 I was using in Ohio.
    My 70 Formula is only good for putting around on it. Any judicious throttle movement requires a mix of 110.
    My 02 SS had a beautiful timing curve in Ohio on 94,,,that now pulls 1-2 degrees of timing out here on 91. And I've been fighting my wifes 2000 SS timing tables here lately for the past week or two. It had a boat load of timing in it from a previous shop tune,,although it never gave me problems on 94,,,but now that it's on 91 it's pulling 3-4 degrees in spots. It was horrible. I've had to completely revamp the entire curve and almost start over.
    The only car that hasn't complained a bit is the chevelle, although with it's aluminum heads and mild 10:1 compression, and large cam it could run on 89 if I had too. It dynoed on 93 shell gas with 38 degrees of timing without a hickup. I'm probably going to have to switch the firebird over to aluminum heads
    NASCAR is running 114 unleaded now, so you would think they'd sell 94 at the pump

there was an article in car and driver a while ago that said there wasnt really any difference. they just want to charge more

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    NASCAR is running 114 unleaded now, so you would think they'd sell 94 at the pump
    Ya that's my thinking on it too. Sunoco has always prided itself on having some of the highest rated octane levels, even in the 60's they had gas called Sunoco 260. Good stuff.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

The only car that hasn't complained a bit is the chevelle, although with it's aluminum heads and mild 10:1 compression, and large cam it could run on 89 if I had too. It dynoed on 93 shell gas with 38 degrees of timing without a hickup. I'm probably going to have to switch the firebird over to aluminum heads as well if I start driving it much more.

Welcome to my world buddie.. I've been running 91 down here in cali all my life.. The only place that I know of getting higher octane is at the track..

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Been looking for above 93 for a long time. I dont know if getting race gas at the track would be any beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    Welcome to my world buddie.. I've been running 91 down here in cali all my life.. The only place that I know of getting higher octane is at the track..
    Ya it sucks. I've ran 94 octane since the 80's in all my stuff. Then moved out here and 91 is the top of the food chain
    After having all the cars dialed in on 94,,,,I'm seeing a big difference in some of them switching to this 91.

3 octane levels is quite a drop,,,but I thought it wouldn't be so bad. I was wrong. Either the Sunoco 94 was that good,,,or this 91 on the west coast really sucks,,,haha.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-02-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Been looking for above 93 for a long time. I dont know if getting race gas at the track would be any beneficial.
    I know 94 was all over Cincinnati,,,only at Sunoco stations though. Indiana also used to have it as well, but heard they had slowly gotten rid of it.
    Not sure about Kentucky, I don't even remember seeing Sunoco stations down there????

94 probably isn't going to be around much longer anyway, since all the Sunoco's in Ohio are slowly switching their pumps to 93 unfortunately.

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

I know 94 was all over Cincinnati,,,only at Sunoco stations though. Indiana also used to have it as well, but heard they had slowly gotten rid of it.
    Not sure about Kentucky, I don't even remember seeing Sunoco stations down there????

94 probably isn't going to be around much longer anyway, since all the Sunoco's in Ohio are slowly switching their pumps to 93 unfortunately.
    We still got the 94 here. We had 2 Sunoco stations both had it they got rid of 1 station to Citgo. Now only 1 Sunoco intown with it. I fillup at Sunoco and get the 94 still.

Quote Originally Posted by 96Firebirdformula View Post
    We still got the 94 here. We had 2 Sunoco stations both had it they got rid of 1 station to Citgo. Now only 1 Sunoco intown with it. I fillup at Sunoco and get the 94 still.
    Thats cool. I used to hit Superchevy Sunday at Indy years ago and found a Sunoco somewhere over in the Clermont area that had 94 at the time. I'd fill up before the drive back home.

Unfortunately in Ohio I've found that Sunoco is going to phase out the 94. I had 5 Sunoco stations within a 30 mile radius of my house. Within the last 5 years only 2 of them left had 94 octane. When a friend of mine bought one of the stations that was temporarily closed for a few months,,,the Sunoco supplier/rep or whomever,,,wouldn't let my buddy re-open the station with 94, they had to drop to 93. He told me Sunoco had planned to rid all stations of 94 within the next couple of years. Sad. But I have a feeling pump gas will only get worse in the next few years. Especially now that the government is taking over everything

hugger orange

I know you can order it by the barrel.
    we are lucky here in PA there are a few stations here in town that have 114 unleaded at the pump.......only problem is its $6+ a gallon

I know you can order it by the barrel.
    we are lucky here in PA there are a few stations here in town that have 114 unleaded at the pump.......only problem is its $6+ a gallon
    Ya there are places in Cinci as well that sells good stuff at the pumps. But you are right, hard to get passed that price tag

hugger orange

Ya there are places in Cinci as well that sells good stuff at the pumps. But you are right, hard to get passed that price tag
    i guess its time to fire up the stils and start making our own huh?

Maybe we should just move to Texas and start digging for oil now

hugger orange

Maybe we should just move to Texas and start digging for oil now
    We have it here in Pa too, just not as much of it lol

We have it here in Pa too, just not as much of it lol
    That's okay,,,we only need enough for the both of us

hugger orange

That's okay,,,we only need enough for the both of us
    I'm still waiting for a Mr. Fusion

Black
    2000 Z-28

What about octane boosters...or are they just a gimmic?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information