whote
    98 T/A RAM AIR

9000 RPM without breaAKING THE BANK?

I'm in the process of putting toghether e build sheet (including pro's & con;s including whether or not it financially feasible for me to whether to buy a new LSX Bowtie or build out my existing Ls1) one of my aspirations would be a 9,000 RPM engine, I was wondering what input anyone had for a cost effective way to get there with safety, durability and longevity in mind.

I understandand anything ios possibel with $$$ but how much are we tallking and what type of cam. heads etc would be needed to get there ?

how could it be done with my existing Ls1 block ?

whats would be needed to get there with an Lsx block?

what would the buildsheet look like?

ps.....I;m not planning on doing alot of drag racing from a dead stop ...this is more for street racing

red
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bossho View Post

ps.....I;m not planning on doing alot of drag racing from a dead stop ...this is more for street racing
    Why? You can build a naturally aspirated 402/408 LS that's very streetable and reliable making peak power around 7K RPM that will get you pretty deep in the low 11's or high 10's over 120.

If you really want to make power at 9K on a LS engine, you need a custom lightweight rotating assembly, fabbed sheetmetal intake, hogged out heads, monster cam. You're also going to need a built T-56/clutch.

Reliable, fast, cheap. Pick 2.

Why would you want to turn 9k? You are talking big bucks to get there and it would not be reliable or streetable at all. In order to turn 9k your power band would be all screwed up and the car would run like total crap under 4/5k rpm. If you can post realistic goals there are people on here that can steer you in the right direction cost wise, the stroker idea posted is a good one. If you have to see 9k you might want to get an import.

black
    2002 WS6

I reflect the sentiments of the others 9000RPM, that's strictly track car territory. and huge dollars talking probably in the range 15k easy for block work, top end internals, machine work and labor, most of that cost going in to the valve train and rotating assembly.

From your post my guess is that you want 9000 red line for bragging and street cred. take it to the track it's just as fun. Plus you get the paper work to back up the talk.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

This is kind of like all of the "I want 1,000 HP on a budget" threads that you see over at that other site in the FI section...

OP- You would have to run BS3 or other $3000+ standalone to have any control over 8K RPMs. There are MANY more costs hidden just like this one. If you were building a race car it would be different, but if you were building a race car, you also wouldn't have to ask.

If you want 9K RPMs without breaking the bank, buy a used motorcycle!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    This is kind of like all of the "I want 1,000 HP on a budget" threads that you see over at that other site in the FI section...

OP- You would have to run BS3 or other $3000+ standalone to have any control over 8K RPMs. There are MANY more costs hidden just like this one. If you were building a race car it would be different, but if you were building a race car, you also wouldn't have to ask.

If you want 9K RPMs without breaking the bank, buy a used motorcycle!
    LOL a 1000hp budget TT is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Everyone wants to play but no one wants to pay!!

black trans am

1000 hp budget ill take 2..lol 9k on a ls1 is flying ull need to probably destroke it and put in new sleeves and bore the hell out of it. can be done yes is it even worth it at that point probably not

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

9k rpm and street racing = parts all over the city.. You can build plenty of power in just about any v8 @ far less rpm. And just 7k rpm would still be a screamer.. You start cranking 9k on open streets and people/ by standers will start getting hurt not to mention what can happen to you... The amount of attention the engine will need is far beyond any DD.. If you're working on a budget, forget about it. You'll need 15-30k ish laying around to just blow on a regular basis..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-09-2009 at 10:05 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

SOM
    2002 SS

Like everyone has said, you have to pay to play the rpm game. Cheapest way would be to steal a nascar motor and buy a standalone system to control it. There are lsxs in gmhtp that rev that high but I can assure you their parts list is through the roof.

I went this route with my first LT4 and it spun 8k. right now I use a piece of the leftover piston on my desk in front of me. It wasnt pretty. A bad valve job, loose lash = split retainer= ENTIRE motor destroyed. Broken caps, all pistons, all rods, entire block, torn guides right out of the heads, destroyed heads, all valves bent... blah blah blah.. the list goes on.

I am still going on with a better build up but the parts list is through the roof again. I wish I went with a stout 7k rpm solid roller and I could have been driving it now but man... going through a tunnel at 8000 rpms..... i can't wait till spring

To put things in perspective my Crank alone was $3700 usd... Lets not even get into the cylinder heads....

God you guys are negative. Someone wanting a high revving motor doesnt mean they are after street cred. Powerband varies alot on how you build your engine and maybe he is after high end hp instead of low end torque. I am destroking a 6.2 with a 4.8 block and tight tolerances and good balance. Expecting to be close to 9k but I'm more or less just building mine to make it easier to put power down in corner exit in my featherweight car on 235s. I got tired of the top half of my throttle being useless so the 6.2 crank is going on a shelf on in goes the 4.8 spec billet scat. Not everyone is trying to move a 3500lb boat.

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Like everyone has said, you have to pay to play the rpm game. Cheapest way would be to steal a nascar motor and buy a standalone system to control it. There are lsxs in gmhtp that rev that high but I can assure you their parts list is through the roof.

I went this route with my first LT4 and it spun 8k. right now I use a piece of the leftover piston on my desk in front of me. It wasnt pretty. A bad valve job, loose lash = split retainer= ENTIRE motor destroyed. Broken caps, all pistons, all rods, entire block, torn guides right out of the heads, destroyed heads, all valves bent... blah blah blah.. the list goes on.

I am still going on with a better build up but the parts list is through the roof again. I wish I went with a stout 7k rpm solid roller and I could have been driving it now but man... going through a tunnel at 8000 rpms..... i can't wait till spring

To put things in perspective my Crank alone was $3700 usd... Lets not even get into the cylinder heads....
    Everything has to be precise and tight. Dont trust subpar shops on your machine work, and research every move you make. This guy learned the anagram for RPM. Sometimes shit happens, but you will have to spend to get there. Despite the negative Nancy's responses they are right, it's expensive to make reliable, and wont last near as long and much less room for error. Thank you 5abivt for actually answering the question, these other guys are kinda the biggest problem with forums, telling you basically that you should go what everyone else does instead of what you want to do. If I want to weld two ford Taurus engines together because that's what I want to do and you dont know the reasons why I want, it would be better to help figure out what was asked instead of telling me I'd be better off buying an jag v12. Irrelevance is always irrelavent.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

You do realize this thread is over a decade old, right? Not to mention you overlooked a lot of valid points by some trusted members just to call one single person out (who is probably not even on this site anymore) about their 'street cred' comment. Plus the OP himself (10 years ago) even said it was for street racing...so yeah, street cred. Doubt they were looking for anything but screaming eagles while tearing through a backroad in 'Mexico', living life a 1/4 mile at a time. I'm also sure that the parts bin is better now than it was around the time my 11 year old son was taking his first steps, so 9k probably not QUITE as unachievable economically (but still unnecessary in this instance).

Oh yeah, and welcome to the site!

You would have to run BS3 or other $3000+ standalone to have any control over 8K RPMs. There are MANY more costs hidden just like this one. If you were building a race car it would be different, but if you were building a race car, you also wouldn't have to ask.

Last edited by mydanielcreg; 12-20-2022 at 06:47 AM.

Thread Information