Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

799 Ported Heads ONLY on an LS1

Tried this question on another forum and was hoping a few replies to confirm. Only got one reply.
    This week I'm getting 799 ported head GM CBM heads installed (same as 243 ported heads). I am tapped out financially because I went with better springs and upgraded push rods, this way I only have the cam to deal with at a later date , probably a year or so later.

Since I don't have funds for a tune nor a cam and this is a heads only install. My installer is telling me the car will run fine without a tune since the AFR will be done with stock injectors, PCM, etc. My mods are very minor- lid, Magnaflow muffler and P&P Throttle body. Stock 2002 everything else. Just looking for more power and reliability.

Million dollar question is will the stock tune be fine and safe for a heads only car?

Thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

you should be fine, The tuning is the key. You get a nice bump in hp but will still leave a lot left off till you get a cam and a tune to match.

But I have to advise and ask, why not wait till you have the other stuff (cam, valve springs, fuel injectors) to do it all at the same time? Financially it would be the smart move. You'll save yourself in time & money for gaskets alone.

Black

I am actually not sure about a cam yet and why I'm getting the push rods and springs at this time, just in case. A few things effect my decision. First I'm in CA a very strict emissions state, so you have to be careful with cams. Second, I am the type of person who likes the stock feel but just want some more power. I'm also not sure I want to go through the changing for springs every 15K miles with a cam.

My installer is the one who suggested the heads only approach and that it will pass emissions and give me more power, without touching the tune, leaving the stock feel. He assures me the stock tune will not lean out the car.

I'm just nervous about making the head change and then having motor issues with the stock tune and why I'm asking for your advise. Thank you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Look at 224 or 228 cams. Better then LS6 hot cam and won't hurt you on emissions. Only way to have fun in Kali is to move out. If you`r keeping the stock cam for now you should not need to get new springs. Still get the push rods.

Make sure you have an auto machine look over the heads. Check the valves and surface in case they need some attention.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

You should have no trouble driving your car until the cam arrives. I would call Texas Speed for your cam. They are good at matching an aftermarket cam to your upgrades. Good luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black

Thanks for the advise... I'm taking the carin tomorrow and should have it back next week... I'll let you know how it goes.

Thread Information