02 Camaro SS S.O.M.
    07 Trailblazer SS AWD

#7 spark plug electrode bent

i already posted this on ls1tech, just wanting to see if anyone on here has any ideas....

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...l#post10512597

02 som SS #4818 m6 all SLP options, cme, lt's, ory, e-cutout, lowered(slammed), Pro 5.0, 4:10s, boltons, 19" CCW 505A'S, 365rwhp 379ftlbs
    07 silverstone TBSS matching SS hood, cai, exhaust, HP tuners, DJM/Beltech, DAILY DRIVER

white
    1993 gmc typhoon

i had that happen on my number 5 and regapped it and went on, never happened again. 150 does sound a little low on compression though, di you have the throttle open when you did it?
    Last edited by typhoon1110; 11-19-2008 at 04:37 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

What kind of gas were you running??

Sounds like maybe you got some pre-ignition/detonation, that will easily bend electrodes and destroy plugs. All it takes is one good spark knock.

red
    2000 camaro ss

if it keeps happening i'd pull the head. one time can be a fluke, a bunch of times seem like somethin's wrong. sorry bud but ya may even have to pull that # 7 piston.

02 Camaro SS S.O.M.
    07 Trailblazer SS AWD

Im running 93, it doesnt seem to wanna run on anything else, 2 summers ago i put 89 in it and it threw ses light and ran like $h!t, soon as i put 93 back in it ran fine and have been running ever since. I always thought it was bad gas before when it did it them couple of times but the last time it bent the plug then the second time....i dont know. as of right now it runs fine, like i said in my last post i drove it about 2 miles and nothing happened so im really not gonna be able to test drive it again till spring its snowing like a mother here.

can someone explain deanotaion to me, like what causes it and how to stop it? i keep hearing about the catch can, should i do it?

other than that i really dont know what to do but wait till spring i guess and pull the head off? Even then if it is something that bad i wont be able to fix it, wont have the $$$ for a while so the car will probably sit for a year at least maybe 2

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Is the gap getting bigger or smaller?

02 Camaro SS S.O.M.
    07 Trailblazer SS AWD

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

It looks like it might be hitting the piston for some reason. You can probably get an indexing kit to space it out a little so it doesnt hit.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

What kind of plugs are they. Brand and type ie platinum, copper, iridium.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

looks like piston contact, which is strange

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

although if the piston hit it it'd be more mashed i would think, looks like it was melted downwards

02 Camaro SS S.O.M.
    07 Trailblazer SS AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    What kind of plugs are they. Brand and type ie platinum, copper, iridium.
    ngk tr55

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    looks like piston contact, which is strange
    thats what i was thinking but the motor makes no noise and its not smashed or chewed up just bent downward

red
    2000 camaro ss

i raced motox from when i was real young until i got my license (fast cars are better), and it was then i decided i would never use ngk plugs again. i would never use them in anything i own because of the electrode problems i had w/ them.
    now-you obviously have a problem...time to isolate it.
    now re-gap that plug 'n stick it in another cylinder, any of 'em. if the prob still happens, swap a coil, re-gap plug, and try again.

i think your wrist pin has play (defective if it does) and the piston is hitting. but, hopefully by swapping things you find the problem to be somethine else. usually, stuff just doesn't work rather than work at the wrong time. for one ignition component to work at one time and not throw any codes.....just doesnt seem probable. if it's mechanical (piston hitting plug) only code that could possibly be thrown is knock, if any. sorry bud hope it's somethin simple.

-another thing you could do, would be to mark the gap side of the electrode (not the "bent" side) with a sharpie all the way up side of the ceramic. not the bend, the gap side. if, when torqued, it does not shoot straight to the ground (the place it would hit the piston), then the piston is likely not to hit. if the piston was to hit the bend of the electrode it would cause more problems than bending. . .i hope i'm bein clear this is not easy to describe through typin.
    Last edited by side2000; 11-20-2008 at 06:49 PM.

02 Camaro SS S.O.M.
    07 Trailblazer SS AWD

got an update. Ive been laid off since dec so ive been putting off getting the car out. 2 months ago i took it around the block with no insurance and it ran fine, 2weeks ago i pulled it out and turned it around to change the oil and after letting it warm up it was rnning a little funny. I did put a new plug in it before i parked it last year and drove it 2 miles and nothing either. so i wait for it to cool to pull the plug to see if the new one was bent grabbed the wire to pull it off and the contact came off in the boot and stayed on the plug. the plug was not bent so put it back in. so after going to summit to get new wires i put them on friday and fired the car up and it ran better than it has in a while. I finally put insurance back on it today and probably got almost 50 miles put on today and some of those werent easy miles its running fine no missing nothng, could it just have been a bad wire? seems to simple anyway im happy to have it back on the road

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Stock MAF?

02 Camaro SS S.O.M.
    07 Trailblazer SS AWD

yes

Thread Information