Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 142

56cc Lingenfelter CNC'd heads. What cam?

This is a discussion on 56cc Lingenfelter CNC'd heads. What cam? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Hi-Po ahh, so I subtract my valve lift from my reading then? I bought 7.4 pushrods.... that ...

  1. #101
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    ahh, so I subtract my valve lift from my reading then?

    I bought 7.4 pushrods.... that was a mistake with 56cc heads. They have been milled so much they require 7.3. Thats what came out of the engine when I disassembled.
    MAybe even smaller with them being milled so far. Use and adjustable length pushrod checker maybe to find your pushrod length, then test for PTV?

  2. #102
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Yes you subtract your valve lift from your reading and hope that you have at least .080" on the intake valve and .100" on the exhaust side or something around there. Different engines and engine builders vary these clearances to an extent.

    Your pushrod length sounds like it needs to be checked as well for proper rocker arm geometry over the valve stem. It's easy to do with an adjustable pushrod checker.

  3. #103
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Alright, im about to wrap this up. All springs are changed except for the last cylinder. Im checking PTV and my method seems to work pretty well. I have my finger on top of the valve stem and push down... I feel the piston come up... then it dwells for a brief moment and starts going back down. I have checked in a few different places and so far I am seeing at least .200" before it reaches the top of the piston. One time it went .211" before hitting. I now subtract that number from my total lift(Cam + rocker arm ratio) of just the cam lift? If I subtract it from my total lift of .578 on exhuast I get .378?

    If I subtract from just my cam net lift of .340 I get .140. That sounds correct to me. Did I do the math right?

    .340x1.7=.578

    Thanks guys, shes almost done. Got my new pushrods finally today.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 03-24-2009 at 04:55 PM.

  4. #104
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    You say you are seeing .200" before it reaches the top of the piston.
    Are you saying your valve is already compressed at max lift from the camshaft,,,and this is the remainder of the room left before the valve touches the piston???

    When you do the math you need to calculate rocker arm ratio and all. In other words,,,,valve lift. Not the lobe lift.

    When I mentioned compressing the spring I meant to do this while the valve is in the closed position and the dial indicator is zero'd with the piston at the top.
    It seems you have found top dead center from what I am reading here. So doing what I described above you should see something in the neighborhood of .700" clearance.

    Then you take that number and subtract your total lift of .578" and that is your piston to valve clearance.

    If you reach maximum lift on the cam and then check your clearance it will take the math out of the equation,,,,but,,,,,you can only do this with a very light checker spring on a hydraulic cam because the lifter will compress to an extent and give you a false reading. Even the checker spring could compress the lifter somewhat,,,,which is why I prefer to take my readings off the base circle of the camshaft. Make sense???

  5. #105
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You say you are seeing .200" before it reaches the top of the piston.
    Are you saying your valve is already compressed at max lift from the camshaft,,,and this is the remainder of the room left before the valve touches the piston???

    When you do the math you need to calculate rocker arm ratio and all. In other words,,,,valve lift. Not the lobe lift.

    When I mentioned compressing the spring I meant to do this while the valve is in the closed position and the dial indicator is zero'd with the piston at the top.
    It seems you have found top dead center from what I am reading here. So doing what I described above you should see something in the neighborhood of .700" clearance.

    Then you take that number and subtract your total lift of .578" and that is your piston to valve clearance.

    If you reach maximum lift on the cam and then check your clearance it will take the math out of the equation,,,,but,,,,,you can only do this with a very light checker spring on a hydraulic cam because the lifter will compress to an extent and give you a false reading. Even the checker spring could compress the lifter somewhat,,,,which is why I prefer to take my readings off the base circle of the camshaft. Make sense???
    Yes, thanks!

  6. #106
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Car has been back together for awhile now. Needs a tune badly. Bucking/surging.... Heres a short video. Dog attacked the camera.

    http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...MVI_0403-1.flv

  7. #107
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Sounds real good Hi-po. Glad to see it all worked out.
    I've always liked those Spintech mufflers.

  8. #108
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Thanks man! I love this exhuast. Spin Tech is awesome. Im having issues with my HPT. I have more videos, but thier not very good. But at least the damn dog doesnt knock the camera over!!! Bastard dog is out of control.

  9. #109
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Glad to see its up and running Hi-Po. Get it tuned and go out and have fun with that bad boy.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

    Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

    Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

  10. #110
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Glad to see its up and running Hi-Po. Get it tuned and go out and have fun with that bad boy.
    Im working on it now. TRYING to get my idle airlfow, one (1) CRAZY cell of lean-ness, a little KR, and some advance brought down to safe levels. Hopefully in 2 years I wil be able to have it tuned and finally driving again.

  11. #111
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Hopefully in 2 years I wil be able to have it tuned and finally driving again.
    Thats exactly how I feel on my build

  12. #112
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Car has been back together for awhile now. Needs a tune badly. Bucking/surging.... Heres a short video. Dog attacked the camera.

    http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...MVI_0403-1.flv

  13. #113
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    ???

  14. #114
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    ???
    I don't know.
    More surprised it is actually running (much like mine) since you did the work.


    No idea how mine is still in one piece.

  15. #115
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Sounds good man.

  16. #116
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I don't know.
    More surprised it is actually running (much like mine) since you did the work.


    No idea how mine is still in one piece.

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Sounds good man.
    Thanks man. I go back to your video you sent me, and whatda know. It sounds alot alike. Little different. That was warm, I went out and started it about 30 mintues ago after writing a calibration... sound's completely different cold as hell. It 35* out there! Sometimes wish I went with a 112. But I know I will like the 114 for the street.

  17. #117
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Thanks man. I go back to your video you sent me, and whatda know. It sounds alot alike. Little different. That was warm, I went out and started it about 30 mintues ago after writing a calibration... sound's completely different cold as hell. It 35* out there! Sometimes wish I went with a 112. But I know I will like the 114 for the street.
    Well yours is run thru a muffler, mine thru an open Borla. When I close it up, it doesn't sound nearly as "cammed". Stick a cutout on yours before the axle for the track and bet it'll sound much choppier.

  18. #118
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I don't know.
    More surprised it is actually running (much like mine) since you did the work.


    No idea how mine is still in one piece.
    I'm joining this boat too, except I have people watching over me.

  19. #119
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Well yours is run thru a muffler, mine thru an open Borla. When I close it up, it doesn't sound nearly as "cammed". Stick a cutout on yours before the axle for the track and bet it'll sound much choppier.
    Yea, I have that on its way. The DMH should be here soon I hope. I cant wait to put the sound through the cut out. Im very excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I'm joining this boat too, except I have people watching over me.
    I wish I had any help of any kind. I did recruit some help for putting the radiator back in. But thats just because I helped load my buddies GSXR 600 onto a trailer after he snapped his chain and gear box off his bike. I forced them to come over.

  20. #120
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Yea, I have that on its way. The DMH should be here soon I hope. I cant wait to put the sound through the cut out. Im very excited.


    I wish I had any help of any kind. I did recruit some help for putting the radiator back in. But thats just because I helped load my buddies GSXR 600 onto a trailer after he snapped his chain and gear box off his bike. I forced them to come over.
    did it run any better for you with the changes to the tune?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 10:19 PM
  2. CRAIGS LIST FIND - Lingenfelter Z06 Heads $1300
    By Danger731 in forum Western Members
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 11:55 AM
  3. Lingenfelter 427
    By GungHoPopsicle in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-26-2008, 02:51 PM
  4. lingenfelter
    By 04goatinmass in forum GTO
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 04:06 AM
  5. lingenfelter z vs R1
    By tonyjnjz in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 07-29-2006, 09:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •