Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Exclamation 56cc Lingenfelter CNC'd heads. What cam?

Alright, I have a dilemma on my hands for what cam I can fit without PTV problems with the 56cc chambers on my 364ci. With such a small chamber, I do not think I could even get a 228 cam to fit in there safely. I do not want to flycut, just seems like more work then I want to do at this point. What would you guys do in my situation? My static compression is roughly 11/1. The car right now makes crazy torque. I really wasnt thinking of putting a 224 or similar cam in my car, wanted something alittle larger. But now finding out the heads have had so much taken off, I am running into problems with getting someone to even spec me a cam. Comp Cams declined to spec me a cam. I couldn't believe that! TSP doesnt think a 228 would fit either.

What should I do? Stick a 224 in there and just live with it, and ride on my TQ

or

Try and sell the heads and buy new/used heads with a larger chamber and get the cam I was looking at? V.2 or similar.

I am on a budget with this cam swap. I will be moving to Texas this year and need to save some cash up. So buying new heads before selling mine is not really an option.

Mods are,
    LQ4 stock bottom end - 364 ci
    Fast 92mm and PTM 92MM TB
    Kooks 1 7/8's LT with Mufflex exhaust
    DTS 12 bolt with 3.73's
    862 casting 5.3 Lingenfelter CNC'd heads with 2.02 and 1.57 valves.

The heads are great heads. I really do not want to get rid of them. Just the 56cc chambers are making me think twice. What would you guys do?

Since the heads came from Lingenfelter can't they give you some guidance as to a camshaft that would work best????

I'm sure your set are not the only ones they have sold to someone like that.. Their heads,,, they ought to know what will work and what won't

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

While thats true, W2W had them milled. Also, I just dont know if I want to run a cam small enough to clear these heads. I will be giving Lingenfelter a call Monday. The guy that is tuning my car is getting me my cam specs from "His guy" at Comp Cams Monday also. Im worried the cam I can fit wont be enough.

Hopefully your tuner, Comp Cam, or Lingenfelter will give you an answer you would like to hear.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i say leave like it is till you get to texas. plenty of shops down there. and you could get heads and a huge cam then. why do it twice?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well when I move I will have to find another job obviously. I have a well paying job now, so I kinda wanna get this done while I still make good money.

I kinda have heads now. They are very nice heads. Just the chamber is kinda small for my taste. I dont wanna do it twice. But when Im done do this cam I wanna be done with the motor until Im ready to do a 408. I dont wanna keep dumping money into a 346/364 when the real power is in 400+. I want to get this done and enjoy it for alittle while.

Does anyone think these heads are going to hold me back at all? I know I could fit a 224 in there.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Also leaving it like it is isnt an option IMO. It has a stock truck motor cam right now. Not even up to speed with even a base LS1 cam!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

why does it have that cam in it?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    why does it have that cam in it?
    LQ4 motor.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

ahhh

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You might need that nest egg later, might want to wate a bit.

or trade for some ported 5.3 heads and then get that cam you wanted.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

What pistons?

How much less clearance do these heads give you? Not up on that.

black trans am

umm... i got a idea. why dont u get a set of 1.6 rockers and put that cam in and clay it with the 1.7's and if ur not happy with the PTV and then swich out for the 1.6's u can pick up a set of stock 1.6's a dime a dosen on ebay. any im put mr.luos

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    What pistons?

How much less clearance do these heads give you? Not up on that.
    Dish piston. I have heard its at least -8cc and also -10cc dish. One of the two.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Sounds to me like your heads are very similar to the GM CNC castings in which case the ASA Cam may be what your looking for.
    226/236 .525/.525 110 LSA
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Also leaving it like it is isnt an option IMO. It has a stock truck motor cam right now. Not even up to speed with even a base LS1 cam!
    Actually the 01-02 camaros got that LQ4 truck cam so in a sense you are on par with alot of LS1's if that makes ya feel any better

If you know you can fit a little 224 at .050 cam in there thats not all bad. Those cams I've seen in stock head LS1's get pretty close to 11's if everything else is right.
    Since you have reworked heads from lingenfelter and bumped the compression that should run even better.
    If you are going to change the motor anyway though I'd just leave it alone and enjoy. No sense in sticking money in this motor unless you can use the parts on the new 408 you are planning. And from the way it sounds, you can't stick a big enough cam in this little motor to even think about using it again in a 408 so why bother??? Save your money for the big investment,,,,just my thoughts.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Actually the 01-02 camaros got that LQ4 truck cam so in a sense you are on par with alot of LS1's if that makes ya feel any better

If you know you can fit a little 224 at .050 cam in there thats not all bad. Those cams I've seen in stock head LS1's get pretty close to 11's if everything else is right.
    Since you have reworked heads from lingenfelter and bumped the compression that should run even better.
    If you are going to change the motor anyway though I'd just leave it alone and enjoy. No sense in sticking money in this motor unless you can use the parts on the new 408 you are planning. And from the way it sounds, you can't stick a big enough cam in this little motor to even think about using it again in a 408 so why bother??? Save your money for the big investment,,,,just my thoughts.
    Definitely on par with the LS1's. 373 RWHP and 409 RWTQ Before the FAST 92/92 install. The way im looking at it is, the cam will be able to hold me off for quite awhile until I can afford the 400+ci. Which will be quite awhile.

I will look into the ASA cam. Lift seems pretty low for ported heads. Tomorrow I will get some other cam numbers and compare. Thanks for all your inputs.

Also, it is a 05 LQ4

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I will look into the ASA cam. Lift seems pretty low for ported heads. Tomorrow I will get some other cam numbers and compare. Thanks for all your inputs.
    Keep in mind that the short lift will help with your PTV clearences
    This cam with the proper ASA tuned ECM makes 430 FWHP on a stock headed LS1 with the LS1 Intake.
    You have more cubes and better airflow, see where I'm going with this ?

Well since you are dead set on putting a cam in this thing I would simply check your piston to valve clearance since that's the real issue here.

It's easy to do while the motor is assembled.

Bring a cylinder up to top dead center with both valves closed. Use a dial indicator on top of the spring, valve or where ever you have a nice flat surface. Then use a spring compressing tool like a pry bar version for instance.
    I actually use a spring checking tool and leave the rocker arm in place. I zero the dial indicator and slowly pry the rocker arm compressing the spring. Once the valve contacts the piston you take a reading. In some instances you may have the retainer contact the seal/valve guide boss or even run into coil bind before the valve ever contacts the piston. In any event, take a reading and that is the room you have.

From there you generally want to have .080 inch piston to intake valve clearance and about .100 inch on the exhaust side of things. Select your cam to stay within those bounderies. A cam manufacture can help with the advance ground into the cam as well as duration numbers, all of which will also affect piston to valve clearance so as to stay on the safe side of things. Give any cam manufacture the clearances you have come up with and they can steer you in the right direction.

This is the best route to take rather than guessing at a camshaft.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

(didnt remember this thread)

Well, Comp fnally gave my builder an answer. More so, my builder finally gave me an asnwer.

236/240 .578 .589 on a 114. 110 ICL

He says this cam will clear, im not too sure. Wondering on your guys opinions really. Im ready to order it, and my other necessity's. If it does, it should make some good power with the heads.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information