Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1993 Mazda RX-7

500WHP cam/head setup?

I think I may have posted something similar to this a few months back, but I'm looking for 500whp WITHOUT using any forced induction (yet..) What would you guys recomend for a good head/cam setup? I've already got the forged bottom end in, now I've got the dough to finish this project.

Thanks a million guys!

-Six

Quote Originally Posted by sixfootninja View Post
    I think I may have posted something similar to this a few months back, but I'm looking for 500whp WITHOUT using any forced induction (yet..) What would you guys recomend for a good head/cam setup? I've already got the forged bottom end in, now I've got the dough to finish this project.

Thanks a million guys!

-Six
    AFR heads and a mild cam will do.. or if you want a good cam G5X3 is neat,
    lot's of rwhp from that one alone. AFR+G5X3 > 100rwhp gain.AFR are on the pricey side, but worth it if u got $$

navy metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

why not supercharged or turbo?

Listen, I have put over 10k into my engine. Then tranny when it broke, then rear end when it broke.
    if it had the 10 to do over again I definately would go with procharger and intercooler. I have A4 and upgraded to Redline clutches and now it is great.
    i saw the show "Horsepower TV" and they did a 98 ls1 camaro and put 541rwhp on there dyno after tuning.
    I am NOwhere close to that.

Black
    1993 Mazda RX-7

That doesn't sound like bad idea. Maybe I'll go with Patriot heads, a decent cam, and then throw the Procharger on and give a good tune. I'm definetly not worried about my rear end. I've had this rear end at 650whp when I still had the 13b in this car. I've heard of guys going all the way up to 800hp on a 20b with this rear and no problems. The tranny is another story...

look at my mods and future mods... the thing is a new tranny and 12 moser bolt is a must when going 450+rwhp.

Black
    1993 Mazda RX-7

This motor is in a 93 RX7. Before I went with the LS1 I was running 650whp out of a 13b rotary into the same rear end that's in there now. I blew up my motor before that rear end will ever go out. I'm not worried about that at all. I'm running a KAAZ 1.5 LSD with chromoly axle's and like I said, I've seen these things get smacked with 800 hp no problem. Hell, I've heard of 1000 hp through these with no problem. I know I'm going to have to beef up the tranny to make it reliable. we'll see what happens. I'm shooting for 500 hp in a vehicle with a curb weight of only 2200 lbs.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

That doesn't sound like bad idea. Maybe I'll go with Patriot heads, a decent cam, and then throw the Procharger on and give a good tune. I'm definetly not worried about my rear end. I've had this rear end at 650whp when I still had the 13b in this car. I've heard of guys going all the way up to 800hp on a 20b with this rear and no problems. The tranny is another story...
    you're gona screw your self if you get a cam that isn't made for s/c turbo applications...

also, if you don't match the cam with the stall that u may wanna do. uh, issues later on..

about the rearend 12 bolt is necessary if you wanna get on it like on the track,, if u got 500rwhp and still got the stock on, cross your fingers.. at least the case on LSx. I think they got a better rearend for LS6/LS2 and LS7.. but LS1 definetely.. go do some searches on this site, everybody agrees on that one, learn from the pros .. I usually would not get advice from somebody with 50 posts.. talk to people with 600-800-whatever posts but that have been here for a while. u learn as u go, so did I

Black
    1993 Mazda RX-7

I was running the rearend I have now (IT'S NOT THE STOCK REAREND!!) on the track (at 650whp!) without issue. My brother ran an RX7 of the same year as mine with a 20B triple rotor at 800 hp with THE SAME REAR END without issue. The rear end on this car is not a problem. What I'm probably going to do is just get a nice cam/head combo, and swap in another cam when I put the s/c in. That's not going to be for a while anyway.

I was running the rearend I have now (IT'S NOT THE STOCK REAREND!!) on the track (at 650whp!) without issue. My brother ran an RX7 of the same year as mine with a 20B triple rotor at 800 hp with THE SAME REAR END without issue. The rear end on this car is not a problem. What I'm probably going to do is just get a nice cam/head combo, and swap in another cam when I put the s/c in. That's not going to be for a while anyway.
    my bat, I misread it. I thought ur pulling stock.. I was like,, keep fingers crossed mate! it will get u so far

Black
    2000 WS6

Texas speed has a pretty beefy head and cam package using the new Magik Stick V.4, it picked up 129hp

NBM
    01 WS6 TA

Very few people making 500RWHP with stock cubes, N/A but it can be done with the right setup. I'll pm you some places to contact.
    Last edited by smokin_ls1; 12-08-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

can u pm me some too. thanks.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

lol no one is helping him out......
    All i can try and say is try and find a set of heads that really match up those texas-speedcams....

I have a torquer v2 making 400 rwtorque.......only 364rwhp though......but torque is what counts.

That is cam only....>I can only imagine if I had a nice set of heads to match

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

NBM
    01 WS6 TA

In a drag race horsepower is what counts.

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by smokin_ls1 View Post
    In a drag race horsepower is what counts.
    It does.....but I'd rather have that torque than the horsepower.
    Horsepower sells cars but Torque wins races.

SOM
    2001 SS w/ CARTEK stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    It does.....but I'd rather have that torque than the horsepower.
    Horsepower sells cars but Torque wins races.
    Yes for a street car you'll want the torque but in a drag race horsepower is what you want especially if we are talking 470-500 RWHP (NA) most of the time the motor never see's less than around 6500 rpm depending on the setup. If you want a car that really puts down 500+ RWHP your going to need ported FAST 90/90 set up, ALL the bolt ons and a good exhaust i.e LT's, ORY and TD's or a good catback like borla. Contact Dave at CARTEK he'll set you up w/ a package to get that number but most importantly it will run the time to back the numbers up not like some "dyno queens" I've seen.

NBM
    01 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    lol no one is helping him out
    I have a torquer v2 making 400 rwtorque.......only 364rwhp though......but torque is what counts.
    You make 364hp/400tq?
    All things being equal a car that makes 400hp/364tq will beat you in a race.
    In races hp beats tq.
    Horsepower wins races.
    Torque feels fast, Horsepower is fast.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

What forged components did you install? Stock cubes? Automatic? 500rwhp heads/cam packages are rare and often cost more than a mild stroker making the same power. You'll also need a ported 90/90 to feed it...

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by smokin_ls1 View Post
    You make 364hp/400tq?
    All things being equal a car that makes 400hp/364tq will beat you in a race.
    In races hp beats tq.
    Horsepower wins races.
    Torque feels fast, Horsepower is fast.
    Dont think so man
    12.42 With street tires

Thread Information