Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • ls6 long block

4 12.90%
  • built something else

27 87.10%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

500 rwhp

This is a discussion on 500 rwhp within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Packy Yep, but if he wants a power adder later it will be nice have forged internals. ...

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Yep, but if he wants a power adder later it will be nice have forged internals. I am just speaking from my experiences. I once thought that 12's would be good enough too. Besides forged shortblocks these days don't go for too much.
    lol thats why I'm shooting to be in the 9's in a few years....I figure startout building a nice strong 408, then turbo it....that will keep me busy for awhile

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    A set of 2500 dollar heads, a strung out cam, e water pump, under drive pullies, No stall/automatic, FAST 92/92, maybe/probably needed to be ported, a strung out cam again and a GREAT tune for any DDing.

OP is trying to hit 500 RWHP but only wants mid 12's. Something is wrong with the main goal here.

Hell, there are many 402/408's that cant reach there magical 500 RWHP dino number through a slush box, big stall, and a 9". Not to mention 550 rwhp or 600 rwhp out of those 402/8's.
    For the power level he wants you think he is looking to run tens...

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i was thinking that a ls6 is good for 405 hp,add my mods plus a good dyno tune and should be close to 500hp.i was asking for advice from others who had built ls motors if this was a good way to go or should i build a lq9 or ls2 or other options.i don't want to invest the time and money in a ls6 if i could get more power by building a different engine.
    2007 Corvette...stock...

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    i was thinking that a ls6 is good for 405 hp,add my mods plus a good dyno tune and should be close to 500hp.i was asking for advice from others who had built ls motors if this was a good way to go or should i build a lq9 or ls2 or other options.i don't want to invest the time and money in a ls6 if i could get more power by building a different engine.
    I'd say lq9 just because its an iron block. 85lbs heavier than the ls1, but bullet proof strong so when you get bored with your power level, you can get more out of it

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

The LS6's 405hp is at the flywheel. A stock LS6 puts out about 360-375 to the wheels and with your mods, a cam, and good tune you might see around 400 or a bit more. Plenty to run low 12's or high 11's. However I suggest you look into a forged 346/347 short block. Throw a custom cam, and your stock heads with new springs, pushrods, and maybe some lifters. I think it will be cheaper to do that and make the same if not more power. Plus you will be prepared for the any future additions you may want to make. Not saying you will but it is nice to have a forged motor that you can rely on. I have not done any cost comparisons but I would say it may even be cheaper than buying a stock LS6.?.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I'd say lq9 just because its an iron block. 85lbs heavier than the ls1, but bullet proof strong so when you get bored with your power level, you can get more out of it
    I don't think you need to go FE Block unless you wanna get sick with the power levels. Stock LS1 blocks have proven theirselves just as efficient and lighter.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Stone Srt-4 View Post
    414 LS2

But honestly with a stock LS2 with the right H/C combo you can get 500WHP.
    Not through his auto it won't...

long tube headers are already in,i would like a fresh engine and since this car see a LOT of interstate use the rear gear/torque converter has to be fairly mild,premium gas is just too damn expensive.i would be happy with sub 12.30's in the quarter.
    You HAVE to run premium, even in a stock engine. A stock motor will knock it's ass off. The compensation was built in to the PCM to cover a bad tank of 92/93, not to try and run the car on crap 87.

500rwhp through an auto is NOT what you want if this is your daily driver, and you won't come anywhere CLOSE to that on cheap gas. You will wear it out in no time.

500 through an automatic will put you in the bottom 10s. You don't need anything of the sort to run low 12s. Let's be realistic here.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

^^^what he said^^^

and on the premium gas being too dam expensive, to put in to perspective:
    a gallon of premium (92/93) is .10 more than super unleaded (89), which is .10 more than unleaded (87) so with a 15 gallon tank that comes to $1.50 more a tank over super unleaded and $3.00 more a tank than unleaded. That is basically buying 1 extra gallon of gas per fill up. Not to mention, we didn't buy these cars for gas mileage...lol.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    For the power level he wants you think he is looking to run tens...
    Caught up in the dino numbers game.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    ^^^what he said^^^

and on the premium gas being too dam expensive, to put in to perspective:
    a gallon of premium (92/93) is .10 more than super unleaded (89), which is .10 more than unleaded (87) so with a 15 gallon tank that comes to $1.50 more a tank over super unleaded and $3.00 more a tank than unleaded. That is basically buying 1 extra gallon of gas per fill up. Not to mention, we didn't buy these cars for gas mileage...lol.
    around here 93-92 octane can be as much a .30 cents more than 87.i stopped at a station tuesday morning when it got off work 87 was 2.45..89 was 2.68..and premium was 2.93.and i know our cars don't get great fuel mileage and i have to run premium in BOTH my cars,i just can't go too extreme with a torque convertor or rear gear.

around here 93-92 octane can be as much a .30 cents more than 87.i stopped at a station tuesday morning when it got off work 87 was 2.45..89 was 2.68..and premium was 2.93.and i know our cars don't get great fuel mileage and i have to run premium in BOTH my cars,i just can't go too extreme with a torque convertor or rear gear.
    That doesn't seem bad for gas prices to me. Last year or so when price were at a high, I was paying $4 a gallon for 94 octane sunoco at the pumps.
    That went on for quite some time. Been using that stuff for 25 years in every car (7 at the time) but my wifes jeep, so when I see $3 a gallon it doesn't look that bad to me.

I can give you a real world comparison on converters in a 4th gen if this helps. I stuck a fuddle 3400 converter in my 02 SS last year. Before the converter I was getting a solid 21-22 mpg city driving. I could average 21.xx on every tank, and touch 22 once in a great while,,,,nothing but around town driving.
    With the converter installed I would get 20 mpg pretty consistent around town,,,and get darn close to 21 on occasion. If I got a little more anxious with the right foot it would drop to 19.
    Really not that big of a difference to me so I don't worry about it,,,but it's interesting stuff to know.

Cruising around town, once above 38 mph the converter locks up anyway. On the highway mileage will be the same regardless.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

thank you for all the info,i appreciate it!

black
    1993 mustang

just rebuild your block with forged internals and add a small hit of nitrous. cheap and u will meet your goals.

Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by tegaman111 View Post
    just rebuild your block with forged internals and add a small hit of nitrous. cheap and u will meet your goals.
    that's the simplest sure fire easy to go

RED
    2000 WS6 TA

500 HP is kinda nutty for what you want to do. The LS1 in my 2000 TA has Thunder Racing TR220 cam ( been told it's kinda mild ) LS6 intake, short tube headers, cat delete, big mouth cat back, lid, and it makes 370 RWHP. If you use a conservative 10% drive train loss number it's making at least 405 hp at the crank. It runs a traction limited 12.7. If I could get it to hook it'd be quicker. Eventually you start playing a game of diminishing returns. I suspect an N/A 5.7 that makes 500 HP would be an ill mannered bitch on the road. GM had to go with 7 liters and a supercharger to make those numbers drivable.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LS666 View Post
    I suspect an N/A 5.7 that makes 500 HP would be an ill mannered bitch on the road.
    that depends on gear ratios and the quality of the tune...

It depends on the person and what you can put up with.
    Honestly my chevelle made 638hp and quite frankly it's very easy to drive. It will idle in traffic all day, the A/C blows cold if you want it. I can putt around town like a pussy cat,,,even my wife drives it.
    If you don't mind the 4.10 gears and no overdrive, it'll take you anywhere you want to go. I've been 3-4 hours away from home without a hickup and wouldn't hesitate to take it on a trip like that.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Stone Srt-4 View Post
    414 LS2

But honestly with a stock LS2 with the right H/C combo you can get 500WHP.
    something here seems wrong

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

yeah,my goals did not really match up,500 hp and 12 sec 1/4 mile time,i think i will just put a ls6 long block or crate engine in there with the performabuilt trans and 3200 stall with a 3.42 gear and call it a day.

yeah,my goals did not really match up,500 hp and 12 sec 1/4 mile time,i think i will just put a ls6 long block or crate engine in there with the performabuilt trans and 3200 stall with a 3.42 gear and call it a day.
    That will put you well into the 12's easily.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information