RED
    1998 TRANS AM

5.3 z06 cam questions

I have an 03 5.3 I'm wanting to put a z06 cam in,I understand the base centerline on these cams are smaller that they will need longer pushrods,can I use factory z06 pushrods,will this be the correct pushrods or will I have to measure and use an aftermarket set with the correct length? Also i'm going to use the z06 springs,will I have to use the z06 retainers and locks or will my factory 5.3 retainers and locks work for this? And will a factory timing set work or will I have to use an after market double roller timing set? Does anyone have any of the gm part numbers for these parts?Just trying to get away from the factory 285 hp and over the 300 mark,I'm going to use swap headers,this is going in my 77 camaro.

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

anything.......anybody?????

If the base circle of the Z06 cam is smaller, then a longer pushrod would be needed to maintain correct lifter preload.

With that said, then technically the Z06 pushrods would be longer than your standard LS 5.3 pushrod. I would think these specs should be out there since we are speaking of OEM parts.

If this is the case, and you haven't milled cylinder heads or decked the block then the stock Z06 pushrods would work for you and should provide correct lifter preload.

Springs can be used with your retainers and locks if you wish.

On the chain, you can replace that if you prefer. Most guys stick with a single chain because the double causes oil pump clearance issues.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

also swap intake to a LS6 and you'll get more flow then a stock 5.3 intake.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

ive researched this as well before i put the 5.3 in my t/a...most likely you wont gain a whole lot of power with this cam according to what ive been told by a bunch of "know it alls"....but if you do it, please let me know the results....i may be into this swap if the numbers are decent.

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    ive researched this as well before i put the 5.3 in my t/a...most likely you wont gain a whole lot of power with this cam according to what ive been told by a bunch of "know it alls"....but if you do it, please let me know the results....i may be into this swap if the numbers are decent.
    The LS6 cam in the 5.3 is a common swap. Someone I'm familiar with is running a setup like that here in a 5.3 and frequents the strip, running mid 12's at 110+ mph. It's a stout little package.

The LS6 cam is a great performer, just because it doesn't chop people don't like to use it or don't expect it to perform,,,when in reality those LS6 crate engines put close to 400 rwhp to the ground with a simple tune (through an IRS no less ). That cam was designed specifically for the LS6 intake and runner design, fast intake valve closing rate, etc...and will spin to 6500 easily. The 117 LSA keeps it smooth.

I have a crane knock off of that cam in my wifes car (210/218 with .551 lift) but ground on a 112 lsa. I've trapped 112 mph with mine with the stock gears in the car in the AZ heat, I've seen big cam only cars around here that can't trap any higher,,,and the ones that do are only another 2-3 mph. Decent little cams for a daily driver that can still knock down 30 mpg too

pewter
    99 trans am

well sounds like i may be into checking this out. of course id have to get the intake to match. but, i must tackle my rear end issue first.

well sounds like i may be into checking this out. of course id have to get the intake to match. but, i must tackle my rear end issue first.
    I'll say it's not for everyone. If you are looking for big HP numbers like everyone seems concerned with,,,and you want it to make noise, then a different cam is what you'll want.

pewter
    99 trans am

im not lookin for the sound, and big hp definitely isnt the goal. but if i can gain a few horses and keep the stock stall on the cheap, then it sounds pretty good to me.

im not lookin for the sound, and big hp definitely isnt the goal. but if i can gain a few horses and keep the stock stall on the cheap, then it sounds pretty good to me.
    Well,,,,it would work with the stock stall and idle around town all day long,,,,just like a stock camshaft. So that's definately an option. However to exploit the potential of the car a stall is a good idea. I ran a 3400 stall in my bone stock 02 SS with the stock truck camshaft and loved it. Would have been real nice with an LS6 cam in there where I could spin the thing to 6500 and have some real fun. But I had planned to go much bigger in that car from the get go,,,so the converter went in first.

pewter
    99 trans am

im pretty inexperienced with stalls. i mean, do they even benefit you on the street? i havent been to the track in 4 years, and dont really plan on goin anytime soon. so would a stall be a big benefit to my simple setup?

im pretty inexperienced with stalls. i mean, do they even benefit you on the street? i havent been to the track in 4 years, and dont really plan on goin anytime soon. so would a stall be a big benefit to my simple setup?
    It brings a whole new meaning to the word "fun" with these cars. The LS1 is a bit soft on the bottom end, and you notice it most in the auto's. A stall converter eliminates that, and puts the engine right in the sweet spot. Lots "O' fun on the street. Can knock off 1/2 second from ET's with just a converter alone.

You'll notice a gas mileage drop in alot of stop and go driving (I lost 2 mpg with mine) but once above 40 mph it locks up just like the stocker, so highway mileage isn't affected. I'd rate a converter as the best bang for your buck in an auto LS1.

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

i'd have to agree with jiveass as far as street manners go,i'm looking to keep a street driver but with a little more kick,and fbj is correct about the reaction of a stall, like he said it can tend to be a bit soft out of the hole and a stall will put ya right there where ya want to be,i spoke with a guy at Schwanke motorsports about doing a harness and tune and he had done a 5.3 z06 cam install & loved it,with headers,cam and tune talking about 370ish,not bad for a small cube basically stock app,heck could probably do a head swap to boot and come close to if not hit the 400 mark with stock sound

pewter
    99 trans am

370hp at the tires or flywheel?

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

we were talking engine only,still not bad numbers,considering 290 hp stock

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

cam part number-12565308 $300.90 from summit,delivered to your door
    springs part number-12499224 $62.63 from your local chevy dealer
    total-$363.53

79 truck

I just did this swap on an 01 tahoe motor in my 79. I didnt use different pushrods though i just milled my heads to make up the difference. This cam is pretty beast. I can tell a difference ad i havent gone about 40 yet as the truck isnt registered and i am stuck on residential streets. I have 4.10s and they def make up for any sluggish in the bottom end. I think with a stall this would be a stout little package. I didnt even have to tweak my tune to get it to start or run. Very nice! So when the smog tech asks is this motor stock? Hell yes it is....only i will know that its stock for a corvette lol.

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

awesome... glad to hear you like this set-up,i think it will be pretty nice myself, not bad at all for a basically stock type set-up,are you running headers,and if so what size primary & reducer size?

79 truck

Im not running headers yet. I am trying to find a set of long tubes for my truck. I just got it to pass smog with this cam and now i can start playing with it a little.

Thread Information