Thread: 5.3 block

Blue
    1979 Malibu

5.3 block

I am planning on building a dyno mule that eventually might find its way into a 79 malibu I wanted to find out how many of you have used the 5.3 blocks.
    We have a low mileage 5.3 to use and I plan to bore it to the standard LS bore size, I will more than likely use the stock crank for now and proably the stock rods as well. I need to know if there is any thing I need to do to the oiling system or any other mods that will help this thing live because we are going to really abuse this thing on the dyno. I have plenty of experience whan it comes to performance engines but I am kind of a rookie when it comes to the LS engines. Any help will be apreciated.

Andy

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I can't remember the issue, it's somewhere around my house, but a guy took a junkyard 5.3 Vortec engine and put it into an older Ford car with some s/c on it and basically built it from "scrap parts laying around" (musta been good junk!), and it was insane for how they basically "slapped it together". Not sure if anyone else remembers this article but the guy had ran it down the track and abused it around town, like it was an everyday beater he found for dirt cheap. I know that I DO remember the guy that built it said he had parts on there that weren't even supposed to work with that engine and it still hadn't shown any signs of weakness besides boost bleeding off somewhere. I'm almost sure it SuperChevy that ran the article. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

EDIT: I think it was Chevy High Performance and I'm currently searching for it, because it was a bad ass article
    Last edited by MrMasterCraft; 12-31-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Thread Information