Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 427 in 02 T/A?

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

427 in 02 T/A?

Say I buy a ZL427 short block from SLP.

Will my Patriot heads and thunder racing cam on my LS1 work in that 7.0L block?

Would it be easier to bore and stroke my block out to a 427?

red
    2000TA

the block from slp is a bigger bore block ,so it is easy to get 427 ci than using the stock ls1 block..you parts will fit ,but the head chambers will be small and you will need dish pistons to keep the compresion pump gas freindly.a bigger motor would benefit from a bigger cam.consider a 383 using your stock block.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I would first recommend avoiding SLP....and their motors.

Your cam and heads will fit...but probably would be a bit of a bottleneck for a 427.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    the block from slp is a bigger bore block ,so it is easy to get 427 ci than using the stock ls1 block..you parts will fit ,but the head chambers will be small and you will need dish pistons to keep the compresion pump gas freindly.a bigger motor would benefit from a bigger cam.consider a 383 using your stock block.
    My cam is the 224R cam... not big, but large enough I think I can find LS7 numbers from a build like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I would first recommend avoiding SLP....and their motors.

Your cam and heads will fit...but probably would be a bit of a bottleneck for a 427.
    SLP was the quickest means in which that I could locate a short block that included most of the parts I would need in a build aside from what I already have on my motor. Cost is a big thing here and I'm juggling between building a 7.0L, or going FI with a Magnuson Blower kit.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    SLP was the quickest means in which that I could locate a short block that included most of the parts I would need in a build aside from what I already have on my motor. Cost is a big thing here and I'm juggling between building a 7.0L, or going FI with a Magnuson Blower kit.
    Just for cost or for actually ordering??

Heard of all kinds of issues with SLP's shortblocks.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Just for cost or for actually ordering??

Heard of all kinds of issues with SLP's shortblocks.
    ordering mostly... SLP was the only place I could think of with a 7.0L short block. It just so happens they are also $6500 which If I can use a few of my parts puts me cheaper than buying an LS7 crate motor

Cost was NA vs FI

Its 6500 for the ShtBlk and the same for the magnuson kit. If I go FI I'm gonna want to invest in a forged crank, connecting rods, and pistons though (more money! whoot )

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

im slightly confused by your post...

getting your ls1 to a 427 would be ridiculously expensive.

there are tons of more reputable shops that have a 427 short block. texas speed is one of them. they sell a ls3 427 long block for 8-9k.

so either way you look at it..you will need to upgrade your fueling system fi or n/a and there is a lot more money involved than just the block.

your heads and cam would most definite be a bottle neck for a 427

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    ordering mostly... SLP was the only place I could think of with a 7.0L short block. It just so happens they are also $6500 which If I can use a few of my parts puts me cheaper than buying an LS7 crate motor

Cost was NA vs FI

Its 6500 for the ShtBlk and the same for the magnuson kit. If I go FI I'm gonna want to invest in a forged crank, connecting rods, and pistons though (more money! whoot )
    I thought the crank in these cars was stout? I agree with the pistons and rods though.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I thought the crank in these cars was stout? I agree with the pistons and rods though.
    they are but they are not forged ...and forged is highly valuable to the FI crowd ..and even on n/a builds

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

I would try Scoggin Dickey...they have a budget 427 shortblock using ls3 or l92 blocks with everything minus sensors and cam for like $4,500. Also, the 224r cam in the 427 will be like the the stock cam in your ls1. If your going with a 427, put a cam in it that will take advantage of the larger ci. If it were me, I would try and sell the Patriot heads and buy some l92's. Just some things to think about.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    im slightly confused by your post...

getting your ls1 to a 427 would be ridiculously expensive.

there are tons of more reputable shops that have a 427 short block. texas speed is one of them. they sell a ls3 427 long block for 8-9k.

so either way you look at it..you will need to upgrade your fueling system fi or n/a and there is a lot more money involved than just the block.

your heads and cam would most definite be a bottle neck for a 427
    Yeah... what I'm trying to assess is what are my options. I figured trying to take my LS1 to a 427 would be ridiculous. I am aware there are short blocks out there from companies like SLP.

Bottom Line Is I would like a 427 in my car, but if FI is a cheaper route (even doing everything on the safe side) then it will be my choice. I'm looking to get LS7 numbers (hp/tq) out of what ever I go with. If I can get more then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deezl SS View Post
    I would try Scoggin Dickey...they have a budget 427 shortblock using ls3 or l92 blocks with everything minus sensors and cam for like $4,500. Also, the 224r cam in the 427 will be like the the stock cam in your ls1. If your going with a 427, put a cam in it that will take advantage of the larger ci. If it were me, I would try and sell the Patriot heads and buy some l92's. Just some things to think about.
    I thought about that... everyone seems to be on the same track I thought about. I was thinking that my heads would be a bottle neck, so I look into a good set of L92's. As for the cam, I'm not sure how big I would want to go. I shooting for low to mid 500's (at the crank)

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

For the cam, I would go at least 240 / 240 duration on the 427. If you go with SD, they have some nice cams for the 427. The may even be able to give you a discount and or install it if you buy it from them. I would call them and price out the shortblock with a cam. You have nothing to lose by asking. Also, tell them your goals. You want to do this right the first time.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Lots of people run 8lbs of boost safely on a STOCK bottom end LS1 making around high 400s to low 500s rwhp with the Procharger without issues. Obviously it's ideal to have a forged bottom end, but if all you are shooting for is 550 at the crank, that is easily achievable staying with 8lbs I would think. Same with turbo set-ups, but would probably be more $.

There are also a lot of people on here that have bought used S/C & turbos and have had good luck.

I'm sure people will say a forged bottom end is a necessity..but there is an extensive thread over on tech showing how many people are running stock motors and what boost level and not one has had issues staying at or under 8lbs. Obviously, you want a great tuner with FI.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Lots of people run 8lbs of boost safely on a STOCK bottom end LS1 making around high 400s to low 500s rwhp with the Procharger without issues. Obviously it's ideal to have a forged bottom end, but if all you are shooting for is 550 at the crank, that is easily achievable staying with 8lbs I would think. Same with turbo set-ups, but would probably be more $.

There are also a lot of people on here that have bought used S/C & turbos and have had good luck.

I'm sure people will say a forged bottom end is a necessity..but there is an extensive thread over on tech showing how many people are running stock motors and what boost level and not one has had issues staying at or under 8lbs. Obviously, you want a great tuner with FI.
    well my concern was how much compression our cars run... without going forged I was afraid it would be too much. To add to that I bought my Patriot heads used and the guy wasn't sure on the specs, so I could be running close to 11:1 or in the upper 10's as is right now.

As for the rest of the engine I have trickflow hardened pushrods, Ls2 timing chain, dual springs, and ls7 lifters, so I am not too worried about the top. No more than I hop on it I may be able to get 6-8lbs of boost to work for less money than a N/A build.

As for a tuner... I know exactly what you mean. A local guy is good with mustangs, but every LS car he has had to build a custom turbo kit on he has seriously f**k'd the motor up on. Last one he sent to another shop to try to tune it, but the motor was too far gone. I know a guy in BG, KY that has done all my work so far. He runs the Horsepower House

WHITE
    2002 Z28

LQ9

I don't know a lot about engines etc. But if money and quality are a priority
    this is the build that I am trying. L92 Heads for a $1000.00 new are supposed to perform almost as well as LS7 Heads. A used forged LQ9 6L block for about $200.00 can easily be bored to 402 ci. L76 intake for about $200.00 is flowing great, a .600 lift cam with 230 duration will generate possibly 500hp+. this should give great performance at a practical cost and a DD.
    This is not the only way to build a Hi-Perf engine, just another thought.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If price is a concern, I would stronly suggest not getting a new motor. Most of the ppl running 427's are not on a budget...

If you realy want to do a motor swap, why not just run a 383? There is a car for sale on tech with a stock 346 that Cartek built that is making almost 500 to the wheels and runs 10.80's.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

White
    '10 ZR1

Just an opinion on LS7's and their valves.......there are numerous threads on Corvette forums warning people about the stock sodium filled valves......it you end up with a LS7, stay away from stock valves.

Mine(heads & valves) are aftermarket, and they'll stay that way. Good luck! I think it'd be cool to have a LS7 in a F-body!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Just an opinion on LS7's and their valves.......there are numerous threads on Corvette forums warning people about the stock sodium filled valves......it you end up with a LS7, stay away from stock valves.

Mine(heads & valves) are aftermarket, and they'll stay that way. Good luck! I think it'd be cool to have a LS7 in a F-body!
    what is up with the valves ? i know they had issues with their rocker arms ..didn't know about valves

wait isnt there a floating issue with them also ?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by spordee1 View Post
    can easily be bored to 402 ci.
    LQ4/LQ9/LS2 isn't bored to 402. It is stroked to it.
    If you want the 408, you can bore the LQ9 .030" over and stroke it.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Haven't heard shit about sodium valves, running them on my motor. Came stock on C5 Z06's.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Thread Information