Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

408 Stroker parts list...

This is a discussion on 408 Stroker parts list... within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 408WS6 Have you given much thought to the camshaft? I recommend sac up and go w/a solid ...

  1. #21
    Member My00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Holland, MI/Lima, OH
    Age
    26
    Posts
    822

    Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by 408WS6 View Post
    Have you given much thought to the camshaft? I recommend sac up and go w/a solid roller. If I had to do my 408 rebuild all over again, that's what I would do.

    Here is a nice one by Comp Cams:

    http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=

    Let's face it, Comp Cams knows how to make cams. They probably forgot more than anyone of us will ever know about cams...
    no i havent given tomuch thought to it yet still trying to figure everything out i want something thats going to rumble looking for a cam right around 3000-7500rpm....?

  2. #22
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    I'd look at a high 240's duration, maybe even as high as 250 degrees on a nice tight 108-110lsa, but if your building this to mainly run on the street stay around or under .600" lift so your not changing valve springs every 10,000 miles

  3. #23
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by 408WS6 View Post
    Have you given much thought to the camshaft? I recommend sac up and go w/a solid roller. If I had to do my 408 rebuild all over again, that's what I would do.

    Here is a nice one by Comp Cams:

    http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=

    Let's face it, Comp Cams knows how to make cams. They probably forgot more than anyone of us will ever know about cams...
    isnt that cam alittle much for the street? lol

  4. #24
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    In a 408 it would have about the same manners as a mid 230s cam in a stock cube 346

  5. #25
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    In a 408 it would have about the same manners as a mid 230s cam in a stock cube 346

    dam hmmmm thats some good info

    i think i may look into that cam from my 408.....whats needed or recommended to use with that kinda cam? as in springs, lifters....??

    keep in mine this is a street car
    Last edited by Blackbird WS6; 10-18-2010 at 10:30 AM.

  6. #26
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    I have the early version of the Texas Speed "Giant" in mine. Acts pretty decent, but wouldn't go bigger.

    I would avoid Performabuilt. Haven't really heard much good. Although most of the time you only hear the bad.

    4L60E by Finish Line can hold it....but could still be on borrowed time. The 4L60E is just weak.


    That cam posted above is too much for a street car. Requires solid roller valvetrain....not worth it for a street car.
    If you plan on running about the maximum hydraulic roller cam....GET MOREL/LUNATI LIFTERS!!!!

  7. #27
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    I'm running ls7 lifters and comp 918s with my cam...its a 238/242 .595/.595 112lsa and it has about the same street manners as my baby 224 cam I first put in 346

  8. #28
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Not what I am saying.
    I agree with what you said about the cubes eating up a cam.

  9. #29
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I have the early version of the Texas Speed "Giant" in mine. Acts pretty decent, but wouldn't go bigger.

    I would avoid Performabuilt. Haven't really heard much good. Although most of the time you only hear the bad.

    4L60E by Finish Line can hold it....but could still be on borrowed time. The 4L60E is just weak.


    That cam posted above is too much for a street car. Requires solid roller valvetrain....not worth it for a street car.
    If you plan on running about the maximum hydraulic roller cam....GET MOREL/LUNATI LIFTERS!!!!
    yea the Texas Speed "Giant" is what im getting...i just wanted to see what else was out there first

    need something that goes good with spray as well and alot of people say the giant runs will with 150-200shot

  10. #30
    Member LSXZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    On the dyno tuning in MD
    Posts
    162

    Black
    99 Silverado

    I ran a Texas Giant in my 408 and it went 10.6's on motor and 9.4's on 250 shot in my 3675# street car...

    Same cam now in my friends 275 drag radial car and has gone 5.46...

    it does pretty good on the jug...

    GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

  11. #31
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by LSXZ28 View Post
    I ran a Texas Giant in my 408 and it went 10.6's on motor and 9.4's on 250 shot in my 3675# street car...

    Same cam now in my friends 275 drag radial car and has gone 5.46...

    it does pretty good on the jug...
    very good...high 9s with spray is what im shooting for, guess im done looking hahaha

    thanks for the info

    BTW that heads where you running on your 408 with this cam??
    Last edited by Blackbird WS6; 10-18-2010 at 04:06 PM.

  12. #32
    Member LSXZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    On the dyno tuning in MD
    Posts
    162

    Black
    99 Silverado

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    BTW that heads where you running on your 408 with this cam??
    I was running a set of ported LS2 heads... my friend runs TSP stage 2.5 5.3L heads on the 275 car.

  13. #33
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by LSXZ28 View Post
    I was running a set of ported LS2 heads... my friend runs TSP stage 2.5 5.3L heads on the 275 car.
    ok...ill be running AFR 225 heads

  14. #34
    Member LSXZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    On the dyno tuning in MD
    Posts
    162

    Black
    99 Silverado

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    ok...ill be running AFR 225 heads
    They should get the job done!

  15. #35
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by LSXZ28 View Post
    They should get the job done!
    what you by "should" ?! haha

  16. #36
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Not what I am saying.
    I agree with what you said about the cubes eating up a cam.
    lol no I agree with you, I was on my phone and didn't refresh before i posted so I didn't even see your post till after I submited

  17. #37
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    ok...ill be running AFR 225 heads
    right now I think my heads are the biggest thing holding me back....I ported and milled the hell out of them, but you can only ask somuch from a set of 241's done up at home....I would like to think I could gain another 30-40 hp and maybe more in the higher rpms with a great set of heads

  18. #38
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    right now I think my heads are the biggest thing holding me back....I ported and milled the hell out of them, but you can only ask somuch from a set of 241's done up at home....I would like to think I could gain another 30-40 hp and maybe more in the higher rpms with a great set of heads
    true dat.....i have the AFRs on my 408 now and couldnt ask for anything more....YES they are not cheap but it is what it is

  19. #39
    Member LSXZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    On the dyno tuning in MD
    Posts
    162

    Black
    99 Silverado

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    what you by "should" ?! haha

    Just meant that AFR makes a good head, and the 225 is a decent size for the 408 application... there may be others that would make more power, but they should let him reach his goal...

  20. #40
    Member My00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Holland, MI/Lima, OH
    Age
    26
    Posts
    822

    Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

    hey thanks for all the great info guys i just need to start ordering everything now iv got a big winterproject ahead of me now lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. parts list please
    By jodmari in forum General Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 09:59 AM
  2. Help: need a parts list
    By jiveass in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
  3. parts list
    By Colten W. in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 11:57 PM
  4. I need a parts list made.....
    By Schweet97Z in forum LT1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 07:36 AM
  5. WTB: Parts List
    By Stu's '00 Z in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 07:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •