Thread: 408 help?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

408 help?

Hey guys, I'm looking to sell my STS and simply go NA and a huge shot of NO2.

I was thinking of going with the Texas Speed 408 with:

Diamond -2cc pistons
    Total Seal Plasma Moly/Napier 2nd Ring set
    Callies 6.125" Compstar Rods
    Callies Dragonslayer Crank
    ARP Main Stud Kit
    PRC Stage 3 LS6 64cc heads

That also includes my choice of TSP custom-grind camshaft, Rollmaster timing set, GM LS7 roller lifter set, TSP hardened pushrods, GM head bolts and gaskets. I'd end up getting ARP studs for the heads (not sure if its included in the ARP Main Stud Kit) and probably a ported LS6 oil pump.

My questions are what kind of cam should I be looking at with around a 300 shot of NO2 and still keep it a daily driver, as well as which head gaskets should I get? I read that usually depends on if I run NO2. Also, what kind of SCR should I be aiming for? I'd run 93 all the time unless I absolutely had to run less. Should I be looking to go with a Speed Density instead of MAF? I'm gonna have a LS6 intake on it till I can afford the Fast 92/92. What size injectors should I run? I have 65's right now. I'm gonna run a stand alone fuel system for the NO2 as well.

Thanks in advance for any help. If I overlooked something, let me know.
    Last edited by squee; 07-01-2008 at 08:12 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Anyone?

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

wow 300 shot is alot,but im goin with 408 and 150-200 shot

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by blackls1ta View Post
    wow 300 shot is alot,but im goin with 408 and 150-200 shot
    Yea, its alot but hey, why not? If the motor can take its all good....

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i run a 250 direct port on my 408.
    cam is a 236/242 .624/.624 115 LSA. still run my MAF.
    42# injectors at 77% duty cycle.
    11.3:1 compression.

you should buy my NX direct port intake nitrous set up, so i can get a victor jr.

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I guess firstly I must ask why the gas? I put down over 600 to the wheels all motor 408. I have thousands in driveline and suspension mods to keep it going straight....You going to go 900RWHP? Have fun in your Pro Stocker.....I drive mine on the street.....guess you got $100K for a new chassis etc.
    With that said......if I was going nitrous it would definetly be SD Tuned and a direct injection as mrr23 has....and he is mentally unstable as we all know....but does know his motors pretty good

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I put down over 600 to the wheels all motor 408.
    I would love to see a build sheet for that.

black
    1993 mustang

If u r doing all that, just like sarge said u will need a suspension to handle all that power! Also from what u said, why don't u hve Texas recommend a cam. It seems like u hve the funds.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I guess firstly I must ask why the gas? I put down over 600 to the wheels all motor 408. I have thousands in driveline and suspension mods to keep it going straight....You going to go 900RWHP? Have fun in your Pro Stocker.....I drive mine on the street.....guess you got $100K for a new chassis etc.
    With that said......if I was going nitrous it would definetly be SD Tuned and a direct injection as mrr23 has....and he is mentally unstable as we all know....but does know his motors pretty good
    It should be making 600 at the wheels hopefully all motor, but I also want the gas for the little extra

Why would you say go with SD? mrr23 was using MAF as he stated. Just curious.

The cars not gonna be some drag car, I just want 600ish hp at the wheels reliably. The guys here at Thunder Racing said that with the 408 and a 300 shot, it wouldn't have any problems being a DD. Thats actually the setup they recommended.

As far as dollars go, just to get that motor I'm gonna have to sell my 383, turbo, new QA1s, etc. but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for the offer on the intake setup, but it doesn't look like I can afford that right now. I was gonna build it for the NO2, and add it not long after when I get the money. Just outa curiosity though, what you want for it.

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    i run a 250 direct port on my 408.
    cam is a 236/242 .624/.624 115 LSA. still run my MAF.
    42# injectors at 77% duty cycle.
    11.3:1 compression.

you should buy my NX direct port intake nitrous set up, so i can get a victor jr.

Click for full size
    i have a fast 90 intake can i use it for direct port nitrous setup?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Not 100% sure, but from what I've read, you can.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

hey now..... ok well, you are correct.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    It should be making 600 at the wheels hopefully all motor, but I also want the gas for the little extra

Why would you say go with SD? mrr23 was using MAF as he stated. Just curious.

The cars not gonna be some drag car, I just want 600ish hp at the wheels reliably. The guys here at Thunder Racing said that with the 408 and a 300 shot, it wouldn't have any problems being a DD. Thats actually the setup they recommended.

As far as dollars go, just to get that motor I'm gonna have to sell my 383, turbo, new QA1s, etc. but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for the offer on the intake setup, but it doesn't look like I can afford that right now. I was gonna build it for the NO2, and add it not long after when I get the money. Just outa curiosity though, what you want for it.
    I know...I pointed out mrr23 had the direct injection nitrous.....I didnt mean he had a SD Tune...I recommend a SD tune when you leave the realm of "bolt ons" to take full advantage of your motor....Yeah and the guys at Thunder Racing better start building some rear ends and chassis for you also Like I said I have thousands invested in the chassis/suspension/driveline and it takes all I got to keep it straight.....great driver on the street....just be careful when i hit it....damn thing will get away from you quick. I cannot imagine a 300 shot on top of it.....Yeah any properly built/designed 408 will put down 600....hell the N/A NASCAR motors put down over 800 on a carb

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yes.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I would love to see a build sheet for that.
    Its been posted many times......I'm on the road......not on this PC but it has been posted numerous times.....

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

last time i was on the dyno, i made 663 rwhp on the nitrous and 440 on the motor. i've since changed cams. on motor, i picked up .4 and 3 mph with the cam. so, i might be around 700 rwhp.

the whole setup cost about $2800.00. i was thinking about $1800 + a LS6 intake, stock fuel lines, intake bolts, stock TB.

the whole setup consists of:

intake
    85mm tb
    direct port nitrous via fuel rails
    modified iuntake bolts
    fuel accumulator
    two purges and v purge blocks
    -4an main line
    10 lb bottle painted black

pic of the current setup on the car

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Its been posted many times......I'm on the road......not on this PC but it has been posted numerous times.....
    I'm lazy.

Not doubting it, would just like to see the list of the parts used.
    I would like to think I have a decently stout 402 in mine...and even through the M6 it got 531 to the ground.

EDIT:
    When you get a chance, would you mind PM'ing it to me?
    I would like to see what I think I might be able to improve.
    Last edited by Mr. Luos; 07-03-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I know...I pointed out mrr23 had the direct injection nitrous.....I didnt mean he had a SD Tune...I recommend a SD tune when you leave the realm of "bolt ons" to take full advantage of your motor....Yeah and the guys at Thunder Racing better start building some rear ends and chassis for you also Like I said I have thousands invested in the chassis/suspension/driveline and it takes all I got to keep it straight.....great driver on the street....just be careful when i hit it....damn thing will get away from you quick. I cannot imagine a 300 shot on top of it.....Yeah any properly built/designed 408 will put down 600....hell the N/A NASCAR motors put down over 800 on a carb
    Only reason they would touch my car is to tune it. I do all my own work.
    As it sits, its got a 12 bolt Moser, and soon after the engine, it'll have a Unbalanced Engineering torque arm. Come to find out the guy who makes them is actually local as well, so I may be in luck.

What exactly are the advantages to SD?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Control versus a MAF tune that is influenced by many variables.

Thread Information