Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

402 stroker hints/tips?

i have a lq4 engine i bought that needed a rebuild,and im really into doing a 402 stroker build....now i know i need to bore the engine and and buy a rotating assembly,but if i buy a 402 rotating assmbly does that make it a stroker?im lost when it comes to stroker motors i know how to hone/bore and build engines but it seems to easy to machine the block and buy a 402 rotating assembly....does anybody have any thougts on what i need/should do?Im trying to do a budget build,and i already have heads/intake and accessarys just need engine specifics..thanks all!

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

i am looking into this too, what heads an intake are you going to run with your set up?

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Stg.3 ls6 and I want a fast 90 but a ported ls6 for now...

Blue
    2002-WS6

dude, mine is not a stroker but i have a LQ4 that i just put a set of ported and polished LS6 Stage 3 heads on (2.08 intake, 1.60 exhaust, 64 cc), got the TSP torquer V2 cam, 595/598 lift, get it back today, let youknow how it runs, k?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

A stroker motor is defined as a stock motor that has a longer stroke crank installed. With a longer stroke crank, you will need shorter connecting rods, so the piston doesn't smack the head. My 427ci LS3 has a 4.1" stroke, over the stock stroke of (I think) 4.0".

99% of the time, when you have a rotating assembly for a stock block, whether it be a LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, or LS7 block, you will HAVE to bore the block a little. This is because the aftermarket pistons that come with the rotating assembly are slightly larger than the stock pistons. For example, with my 427ci LS3 has a bore of 4.08", while a stock LS3 has a bore of 4.06". While a bore of an additional 2 hundredths of an inch may not seem like much, it's enough that the aftermarket pistons will not fit in a 4.06" bore.

In all honesty, I'd have a professional build the motor for you. If you buy all of the parts and bring them to a reputable builder, they should be able to put it all together for you. One thing I would suggest though...don't cheap out on the rotating assembly.

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Ok,that deff gave mea better idea of it,and my did built engines for 15years so I know he wouldn't let me screw it up,he know how to check bearing clearences n all of that,don't plan on rushing this eaither....and ik there not a sponser but I planed on ordering a rotating assembly from texas speed....ido you reccomend any brand?or anything I should do/look into?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by RedHot99T/A View Post
    Ok,that deff gave mea better idea of it,and my did built engines for 15years so I know he wouldn't let me screw it up,he know how to check bearing clearences n all of that,don't plan on rushing this eaither....and ik there not a sponser but I planed on ordering a rotating assembly from texas speed....ido you reccomend any brand?or anything I should do/look into?
    I got my 427 LS3 from Texas-Speed...great company, imo. Call them ask for their opinion on what you should buy...they're not going to sell you the high end rotating assembly if you're going N/A.

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Yea n/a for me all the way,not a fan of power adder of forced induction.....thanks man

Thread Information