Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

32 valve ls1 heads?

This is a discussion on 32 valve ls1 heads? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; There's not really even a market for it in racing, or at least not drag racing. Most, if not all(I'm ...

Black
    1998 Trans Am

There's not really even a market for it in racing, or at least not drag racing. Most, if not all(I'm not 100% sure b/c some tracks are different) competitive drag racing doesn't allow aftermarket 4 valve heads like that. I think you'd be better off with a high end set of ETP heads, they are working or have finished some canted valve heads for the LSx series motors that flow over 400 cfm and have two different sets of C5R heads.

White
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

There have been plenty of manufacturers doing this with their heads although you you see this more with F1 and motorcycle applications. I've seen various heads with up to five valves per cylinder: two intake and three exhaust valves to help with cooldown on the exhaust end. The new Boss 302 has four valves per cylinder. With that added curtain area what do you think help get over 400 horses out of a 5 liter engine?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Holy resurrected thread, Batman!

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

LOL! That ain't no joke, I wonder how he found this thread to bump haha

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Holy resurrected thread, Batman!

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Black
    2000 WS6

Still, I would like to see a set.
    Maybe use electro-pneumatic actuators hooked to a computer, no camshaft at all ala F1.
    Hey, does anyone make a 180 degree crank for these motors, that would be bad ass.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

You guys know this guy has a trillion lawsuits on him right now he has ripped of many people over the last few years just throw his name into google and you will find the many ford and chevy guys he's ripped off. Some people have gotten a hold of sets of his ford 302 32v heads but no one has seen a set of the ls heaDS

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

id think that having 1 pushrod cam, running 32 valves would be really parasitic, and youd be bending pushrods or crushing lifters

Black
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    id think that having 1 pushrod cam, running 32 valves would be really parasitic, and youd be bending pushrods or crushing lifters
    Most likely, that's why someone should come up with an LS1 that runs 4 valves, has no pushrods or camshaft.
    All electronic valve actuation..
    Man, could that puppy rev like no one's business...

blue
    1999 trans am

yeah i just read a bunch of stuff about people who have been waiting several years and still havent recived their heads or money back ...its a scam to a certain extent

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jacosta View Post
    The new Boss 302 has four valves per cylinder. With that added curtain area what do you think help get over 400 horses out of a 5 liter engine?
    You can make over 400hp with old school Gen 1 parts and stock type heads on a 5 litre (302). They were doing that in trans am racing back in the 60's. So that wouldn't be anything new. I'd shoot for higher expectations nowadays

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thread = Hmm

White
    2008 Hummer H3

100+ hp DOHC gain over a standard 2v setup is'nt very far fetched really..

Just from a v6 stand point, the 3.4L OHV makes around 150-160 hp crank, but the DOHC LQ1 3.4L makes 200-225+ hp with around the same CR..

As I stated many times on this board, sure you can get relative numbers with a good setup on 2v heads.

However, there are other things to consider besides flow though that is important..

Most of the added power from a 4-valve head over a 2-valve setup is coming by way of a more efficient/effective flow and burn than a 2-valve head can ever hope to provide..

I also agree with Dustin on the parasitics.. IMHO, should run a set of carriers and a chain or belt for a DOHC and not a single cam..

Already asking a single cam to do alot with just 2-valves let alone moving all that other stuff before opening 2 @ a time on a 4v setup..

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
    Most likely, that's why someone should come up with an LS1 that runs 4 valves, has no pushrods or camshaft.
    All electronic valve actuation..
    Man, could that puppy rev like no one's business...
    Ever take a look at the LT-5 engine specs? The bore and stroke are almost exactly the same as the LS1 engine but its a DOHC. They can rev to 9k (have to be reprogrammed) and still hold speed records. 24 hours at over 173 mpg. Those LT-5s in stock form were "ok" but they were tuned for shit from the factory. Get your hands on one thats been "chipped", exhaust, and 4.10s to take advantage of the 9k rpms you can run and man do you have one kick ass car.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Ever take a look at the LT-5 engine specs? The bore and stroke are almost exactly the same as the LS1 engine but its a DOHC. They can rev to 9k (have to be reprogrammed) and still hold speed records. 24 hours at over 173 mpg. Those LT-5s in stock form were "ok" but they were tuned for shit from the factory. Get your hands on one thats been "chipped", exhaust, and 4.10s to take advantage of the 9k rpms you can run and man do you have one kick ass car.
    The LT5 is my dream engine.. I have seen a brand new one still crated up...... $10,000....

Ray Charles blue

The bore is almost IDENTICAL between the LT5 and the LS1....stroke is slightly different but not enough to say so (4 cubic inches).

I cant imagine that the LS1 4-valve head would be very robust. I would imagine it would be fragile.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I would just be afraid of throwing a rod or dropping a valve and destroying my $10k heads.

Black
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I would just be afraid of throwing a rod or dropping a valve and destroying my $10k heads.
    If you have that much coin to throw around on a motor, you wouldn't worry too much......

NHRA class racers drop much more coin than that on heads alone, you just don't see it with LT5's because there really isn't any class to race them in. They don't fit within any rule structures. So they are more of a collectable novelty item.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    NHRA class racers drop much more coin than that on heads alone, you just don't see it with LT5's because there really isn't any class to race them in. They don't fit within any rule structures. So they are more of a collectable novelty item.
    They also have sponsors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 12-31-2012, 08:09 PM

Thread Information