238/240 cam / stall question

This is a discussion on 238/240 cam / stall question within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I've been shopping around for a cam, and decided to work with a company called HPE (horse power engineering) in ...

Red
    1998 A4 TA

238/240 cam / stall question

I've been shopping around for a cam, and decided to work with a company called HPE (horse power engineering) in Houston. The cam I really want is their 238/240 112lsa "S" cam. It's more aggressive than I was originally looking at, but he assured me that they can keep a lot of my car's driveability with a good tune, although it will be very lopey. Can anyone give me some insight into how driveable my car will be with a cam like this? I hear the man is a wizard with a tuner, but it seems like a good majority of the people on here get something around 224/224. Cam, springs, pushrods, installation, tune will be $1650.

Second question: How do I pick a matching stall for this cam? Any recommendations? My car is mostly for the street, but I'll occasionally take it to the track.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

thats way to big of a cam for the street. for the street you want low to mid range power like what a 224/224 will give.
    a 238/240 cam you will need to spin up the motor to get the most power out of it.
    a stall for above cam, id say 3600 and above.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yeah don't buy ANY convertor except the one your manufacture of choice recommends AFTER you give them ALL you specs.
    That is the only way you can insure you get the right choice for your combo and what your trying to accomplish.
    Going of others choices and backfire for you.
    If you go off their choice (manufacture) if it doesn't do what they say you can shio it right back instead of having a convertor that is NO where near what you wanted or needed.
    There's my 2 cents.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

HPE has a good reputation and the S cam is a favorite with the GTO guys. When I was researching my cam I decided to stay at 230 and under on duration and on a 114 lsa for my a4. I didn't want to spin the motor real high and wanted good usable power for the street. The big cams make good dyno numbers but compare dyno sheets between a few cams and see where they peak at and what kinda hp and torque they make under the curve. That's why I went with a 228/228 588/588 114 lsa.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    thats way to big of a cam for the street. for the street you want low to mid range power like what a 224/224 will give.
    a 238/240 cam you will need to spin up the motor to get the most power out of it.
    a stall for above cam, id say 3600 and above.
    I agree....I would say 230 and under on duration for a mostly street car.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    HPE has a good reputation and the S cam is a favorite with the GTO guys. When I was researching my cam I decided to stay at 230 and under on duration and on a 114 lsa for my a4. I didn't want to spin the motor real high and wanted good usable power for the street. The big cams make good dyno numbers but compare dyno sheets between a few cams and see where they peak at and what kinda hp and torque they make under the curve. That's why I went with a 228/228 588/588 114 lsa.
    Sounds like the TSP 228R.....very nice choice. I was thinking about that particular cam at one time.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

Stick with dual pattern profile to start. For street, stick to around 214-228 duration with less than 580 valve lift to avoid heavy valvetrain deflection and stress!!

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Sounds close to the MS3 specs. I have an MS3 238/242 .605/612 but with a 114 LSA with a 3600 stall and drive mine to work on the weekends. Matter of fact I drove it to work today, and I live 53 miles from work, with no problems. Idles fine at stoplights with the air on at around 700-800 RPM's after the tune and is still quite choppy and you can definately tell the car has a big cam. Before the tune I had to drive it 2 footed. I love it. The power is awsome. Traction is the biggest issue I have even with full rear suspension and big 315 tires but I'm sure the 4.11's don't help in that catagory. 60 MPH punches get sideways quick. 1st and 2nd gears are almost uselsess as I won't hook fully on the street until getting almost to the end of 2nd.

Biggest problem with the big cam on stock specs is tuning. Mine took about 7+ hours to tune. My tuner said he tuned his turbo 408 in less time than it took mine with a cam that big cam in a stock displacement LS1 with stock heads. 1238$ but I sit at the light with the windows up in 98+ degree wheather smiling the whole time. I call it very street friendly as do most of the people I know with street/strip cars in my area.

Bottom line IMO is with a good tune good stall and gears most cams can be very "streetable".
    My Toy 00 Z28 1SC A4 - MS3 cam with supporting valvetrain, Milled LS6 heads, LS7 lifters, , ARP rod and mains, All free mods, pacesetters, True duals, moser 9 with 4.11's and Detroit Locker, Vig 3600 tuned, tubular SFC,adj PHR, LCA, adj TA, PHR reloc, LCA reloc. all with poly bushings, ZR1's and Nitto DR's (315).

My other toy 05 GTO LS2 M6- Comp XR269HR cam, 918's, hardened pushrods, Dart Pro 1's, pacesetters, X-pipe, flowmaster 1 chambers, TSP oil pump, Tick master cylinder. Pedders RR bushings, end links, SB bushings, tie rods and strut mounts, total performance poly F&R bushings. Polk DVC 12", Infinity Kappa 6.5 component and 6x9's with corresponding amps.

Her toy 77 F100-6.6/c6. All original (for now)

Black
    2002 ss Convertible

I just installed a Comp Cams 228/230 112lsa into my car (6-speed). At start up it had a hard time idling and ran really rich, but tuning should fix this. I'm happy with my chose at this point and could not image going with a larger cam than this. The sound and power differance are incredible, once again tuning can only improve things. I don't race the car it's just a weekend fun toy and a larger cam, for me, would have been to much to deal with on drivabilty/sound issues, even after tuning. The bottom line is get a smaller cam than what you're looking at!!

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

You WILL be happier with a smaller cam (220-228)!!! Lots of good tuners out there, but I never really met anyone real HAPPY with their tune after a cam install. One mod. turns into another mod. which will require another mod.....it never ends....its never done....and its NEVER fast enough. There will always be someone faster! And I hate to lose!! Make your life easier, stab a small cam in it and be done with it!

Black
    2002 ss Convertible

Once again..... :iagree

Thread Information