Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

227 CC intake runners

Are 227cc intake runners too big for a stock cube LS1? I'm really leaning towards patriot for my 243 heads based on cost..... and other information you guys can give me would be great. I also plan to run a ported 92mm intake manifold

Well it's getting up there for a little 346. Stock is 200cc which is why these LS1's are a bit soft down low in the rpm range.
    But it's hard to port a 200cc intake runner and not enlarge it to some extent.

Is it too big?? Not necessarily. It's going to like rpm for sure. Depends on what you are looking for.

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well it's getting up there for a little 346. Stock is 200cc which is why these LS1's are a bit soft down low in the rpm range.
    But it's hard to port a 200cc intake runner and not enlarge it to some extent.

Is it too big?? Not necessarily. It's going to like rpm for sure. Depends on what you are looking for.
    I'm looking for a broad power range, that's why I'm going with the CheaTR series camshaft by Thunder Racing.

The heads I want are going to have 59 CC combustion chambers which will raise compression one full point. I'm hope for 400 RWHP with stock manifolds cats. Thunder Racing offers top end kit with this cam that they claim made 394 RWHP with AFR 205s, LS6 intake manifold, and completely stock exhaust. (http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=289)

"LS2 CheaTR" - 215/230 .629/.592 117 LSA
    Last edited by IT_SS; 05-27-2009 at 10:28 AM.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by IT_SS View Post
    I'm looking for a broad power range, that's why I'm going with the CheaTR series camshaft by Thunder Racing.

The heads I want are going to have 59 CC combustion chambers which will raise compression one full point. I'm hope for 400 RWHP with stock manifolds cats. Thunder Racing offers top end kit with this cam that they claim made 394 RWHP with AFR 205s, LS6 intake manifold, and completely stock exhaust. (http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=289)

its hard to play the numbers game in an a4

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    its hard to play the numbers game in an a4
    I know, I'm considering an M6 conversion.....

I've looked closely at those cheater cams too. Nothing like being fast but sounding stock. Something about that just does something to me
    Anyway, sounds like Thunder Racing has that package scienced out with the stock manifolds and all.
    I'd even go as far as to send the manifolds out to have extrude honed, removes weight and free's up some HP too. Guys in the Factory Appearing Stock Tire classes do that stuff all the time. Keeping the stock appearance and going fast has always appealed to me.

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'd even go as far as to send the manifolds out to have extrude honed, removes weight and free's up some HP too.
    Where could I have this done?

Where could I have this done?
    There are many places but you could start with http://www.extrudehone.com/

There are places called Kennametal extrude hone, Gethoned.com, Boneheadperformance.com etc.....

It's not a cheap process but has become extremely popular. Possibly check around your area. But plenty of places to price shop.

You will probably find that the price of extrude honing cast iron manifolds will cost just as much as a nice set of tubular stainless headers. It just depends on how stealthy you really want to keep the car

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

My ported 5.3L Heads got ported to 220cc...

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I have the Patriot LS6 stg 2 heads 227CC. Worked great on the stock cubed motor, with no issues. hard to beat the price as well. Just remember that the AFR's are said to flow better than the patriots. you might not get what you are looking for

oh and i made 397WRHP with these heads and a 230/230 cam

Thread Information