SOM
    1998 Pontiac Formula

224, 228 magic stick?

Hey guys I have a 98 formula M6 and was wondering what has been a good choice for a cam. My car is stock minus full exhaust. Does the lobe seperation help with power or is it just a sound factor. I want something that I can drive on the street but you know there's something under the hood and get a good hp gain without trying to over do it. Thanks,
    Luke

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Hey guys I have a 98 formula M6 and was wondering what has been a good choice for a cam. My car is stock minus full exhaust. Does the lobe seperation help with power or is it just a sound factor. I want something that I can drive on the street but you know there's something under the hood and get a good hp gain without trying to over do it. Thanks,
    Luke
    Most cams are streetable nowadays with a good tune. As long as the guy knows what he is doing he can make it streetable. It's all about where you want your powerband to be. I went with the TR224 because that's my sweet-spot for my driving habits, it really shines for me in the 3000-5000 range where I mostly drive.

SOM
    1998 Pontiac Formula

Can a cam make a big difference with the ls1 stock? Is that a bottle neck in the power range? what is the next restriction point?
    Thanks,
    Luke

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Can a cam make a big difference with the ls1 stock? Is that a bottle neck in the power range? what is the next restriction point?
    Thanks,
    Luke
    Should do headers/ORY/CB/lid first. Supporting mods make the cam show its full potential

SOM
    1998 Pontiac Formula

I have hooker long tubes, off road y pipe, hooker cat-back, and lid already.

Black
    2001 Z28 M6

A cam will give you a very noticble power increase, but there is some sacrifice in low end torque when you get into the big duration cams, not that big of a deal since you are M6. The lobe seperation is a give and take. lower the number, the stronger the mid range is, but you get rough idle and loss of vacuum at idle. The higher the number the smoother the idle, but the mid range will be closer to a stock cam. The peak hp the two cams will be really close, but the power curves are different. Also if you see going with forced induction in the future, you will want to stay away from the narrow(small number) separation. LSA is not as big of an issue with nitrous, it prefers the narrow lsa.

The bottle neck in your case would be the heads and intake depending on what you are shooting for. You are not going to get much more than 400 rwhp out of stock heads when tuned properly. Of course the heads become a bigger bottle neck when increasing the displacement.

To get most out of any mod you have to match the equipment. For the cam you what to use you already have almost everything you would need. If you could get ahold of a ls6 intake at a cheap price that would give you a little extra, otherwise I would go with the Fast intake if you are going to pay full price.
    Last edited by JEFF01Z; 01-07-2007 at 04:39 PM.

SOM
    1998 Pontiac Formula

Sounds good I want the car to sound a little aggressive so I think I'll go with the 228 with 112 lsa. My only other question is will I be able to reap most the benifits that this cam has to offer? Also, I've heard of a computer swap, i.e. you send your computer in and they give you one adjusted to your mods, anyone point me in the right direction for this?
    thanks

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

speedinc does the ecu swap.
    the 228 is a great cam
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

SOM
    1998 Pontiac Formula

Thanks for the help greatly appreciated!

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

I have hooker long tubes, off road y pipe, hooker cat-back, and lid already.
    Confused on why you asked if a cam would make a huge diff stock then, if you already have full exhaust and lid covered.

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

Lunati cam min eis a 234/236 @ 544/545 w/ a 112 LSA and i LOVE IT!!

SOM
    1998 Pontiac Formula

I mean stock motor. I don't have intake tb, maf, heads, you know? I just don't want to over do it on the cam with the stock motor.
    Thanks

Black
    1999 SS

You would be good with a cam, but anything else you would add would help that much more. But then you'd have to consider the tune, you need it for what you have, or plan to soon have.

BLUE
    2000 SS CAMARO

You would be better off calling Thunder Racing or one of the other sponsors and having them do a custom cam. Talk to them about your setup and what you want out of it and let them make a recommendation from there. A custom tune is by far the BEST way to get a tune also. Spend the time to take it into a shop and you will have way better results and the car will drive much better.

BLUE
    2000 SS CAMARO

FWIW, LSA does not equal lope. Overlap does. Between two cams of equal durations the cam with a lower LSA will have more lope. This is due to the fact of it having more overlap. Think about it, which cam do you think would have more lope, 236/242 on a 114 or a 224/228 on a 112?

Thread Information