200k... new motor time

This is a discussion on 200k... new motor time within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; k so i'm going to be building a motor soon (1st time...) and i just want an idea of what ...

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

200k... new motor time

k so i'm going to be building a motor soon (1st time...) and i just want an idea of what direction might be best.

it's a 2000 model ws6, and has plenty of power (ls1 + boltons) for me.. but, it's got 200k miles on it and the engine is starting to make some godawful racket so i'm getting ready to start building something else.

so... if you're looking for more or less stock driveability (with a built trans, 3k stall and stock rearend in an a4 car) but maybe a little more power or a little better mileage, what would you go for? could i take a more or less stock, well running l92 or lq4 and bolt it on up and have the car run decent?

or should i go for something very similar to stock? i figure i can scare up the $$$ i need for parts but don't want to do anything more exorbitant than i have to... most important things are last another 200k miles and be fun/get good mileage, in that order.

pewter
    2000 SS

Lq9 maybe ??

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

LS6 while you can still get one.405 hp,everything plugs up,and a LS6 crate engine is around $5700.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

before figuring out what engine size or displacement you want, you first need to figure out what your goals are for your car and the use you want out of it. that will dictate which direction you feel you need to lean towards, IMO.

you mention stock drivability, better milage, etc., but that doesn't mean stepping up displacement is the absolute answer or best option. what will you car be utilized for?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    LS6 while you can still get one.405 hp,everything plugs up,and a LS6 crate engine is around $5700.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    from what i've seen gm has discontinued the LS6 and they are extremely difficult to get... building a 402 or 408 would be a healthy option... plenty of power and depending on what cam goes in the mileage won't be to bad either... a ls2 or ls3 will require a bit more work...

Thread Information