Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 35th-ANV-SS

2000 camaro z28 with a ls6 intake what's a good cam

This is a discussion on 2000 camaro z28 with a ls6 intake what's a good cam within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a 00 camaro z28 with a ls6 intake what's a good combo for heads and cam and a ...

I have a 00 camaro z28 with a ls6 intake what's a good combo for heads and cam and a gears

P.S I'm a newbie my 1st camaro

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Depends on what you want, by that I mean heavy track use, mild for DD or a strong street ride that's still drivable and won't kill you in gas mileage.

Also how much $$$ you want to spend?

All cams run about the same in cost $375-$400 and for custom grinds $425-$450

A set of 243 used heads used run about $400-$600 while ported & polish custom heads will cost about $2000.

Add on a LS2 timing chain $60, new lifters $120-$700 (depending on brand & type), a Melling Oil Pump (10295 or 10296) for $150-$180 plus gaskets and fluids.

ARP Head bolts aren't necessary needed for most builds but highly recommended. $180-$300

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Depends on what you want, by that I mean heavy track use, mild for DD or a strong street ride that's still drivable and won't kill you in gas mileage.

Also how much $$$ you want to spend?

All cams run about the same in cost $375-$400 and for custom grinds $425-$450

A set of 243 used heads used run about $400-$600 while ported & polish custom heads will cost about $2000.

Add on a LS2 timing chain $60, new lifters $120-$700 (depending on brand & type), a Melling Oil Pump (10295 or 10296) for $150-$180 plus gaskets and fluids.

ARP Head bolts aren't necessary needed for most builds but highly recommended. $180-$300
    And that's just the engine. Trans work and/or clutch replacement, suspension, brakes, rear end and tuning. $$$$$$
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thanks guys as soon as I do some stuff I'll let you no how it's coming for now I just want to beat everything that's stock with no problem

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have around $12k in my engine/exhaust in parts alone lol.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I have around $12k in my engine/exhaust in parts alone lol.
    I'm at about 22K in parts on mine. Cheap hobby.
    It's on jackstands.

Black/ Silver

No kidding Jon lol. I totalled everything I have done and it comes to 19k including suspension and brakes. It will be 27k when I put the 9" in and get a performance transmission and driveshaft to go with it.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 04-23-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yup. Just think...I haven't even touched my motor yet

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Engine - $3800 add $650 for machine shop labor
    Transmission - $690 for parts, having my cousin rebuilding it now
    Rear - Custom fab 8.8 I've invested $1400 in parts and materials, another $150 for machine shop labor, $150 for welding, and $200 for alignment jig.

All of that is with me doing all the labor minus the machine shop fee's and labor as stated. Take that to a shop and you can easily double the cost.

I no its not a cheap build But I also no I can put bolt ons and heads and a cam now and then up until I can save up to do it right

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by alexmachboy View Post
    I no its not a cheap build But I also no I can put bolt ons and heads and a cam now and then up until I can save up to do it right
    Yeah you can it just depends what route you want to go. I personally would start with lid, headers/exhaust and go from there, this will give you more power and is not too expensive from the start. I would plan out what you want and how much power you want before you jump in and get cam/heads though so you aren't doing it again later because you changed your mind.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

after reading this thread I got off cheap I might have $7k in mine altogether....maybe and that's counting my rear. I'm a budget shopper.

Going off memory from 10 years ago so not sure how accurate it is but should be ball park:
    Heads/cam with lifters and everything that goes with it including oil pump $2500
    rear $2600 shipped
    headers 600
    stall 350
    ls6 intake 350
    suspension 500ish maybe??

I'm getting about $6900 there.....I'm sure there's a few more dollars to be found there but that's close. Like I said....bargain hunter.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

to the OP......do your homework. Factor in everything and don't spend money you don't have to spend. If you're paying for someone to tune it then only tune it once. Just start collecting parts and do it all at the same time if you can.....that's the best advice I can give you. Don't rush through stuff and cut corners. My heads/cam were the very last thing I did because I wanted everything else in place first. I do my own tuning so I didn't have to factor in going back for retunes. I would buy parts and then tune for them as I put them on. If you're going to do it a step at a time do air in and air out first.....intake and exhaust mods.

Thanks guys I'm just going to buy all the mods I want hare and there until I get them all then put them in cuzz I'm in no rush I mean I own the car right but thanks every one for the advice everything was super helpful

98 Formula
    06 duramax

we've all been there......because of that I know exactly what you're thinking. You're getting opinions but the reality is you've already made up your mind as to what you're gonna do. That's fine....like I say....we've been there. It's nice to hear opinions and almost always those opinions are "spend more money". A little bit of wisdom is mixed in there though. I never think you have to spend the most money to get to your goals. I think you need to establish your goals first and then find out what it takes to get there. When I first started modding my car back in 99 I wanted a car I could drive everyday on the street and run 11's at the track. That's all I needed. I hit those goals and now I'm pretty much done modding the car. I have a lot of budget parts on the car like PRC heads instead of AFR heads, a fuddle stall instead of a Yank, a used LS6 intake instead of a FAST, ect ect. I just determined I didn't need those to accomplish what I wanted. Just figure out what you want and then pick the shortest route to it.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    we've all been there......because of that I know exactly what you're thinking. You're getting opinions but the reality is you've already made up your mind as to what you're gonna do. That's fine....like I say....we've been there. It's nice to hear opinions and almost always those opinions are "spend more money". A little bit of wisdom is mixed in there though. I never think you have to spend the most money to get to your goals. I think you need to establish your goals first and then find out what it takes to get there. When I first started modding my car back in 99 I wanted a car I could drive everyday on the street and run 11's at the track. That's all I needed. I hit those goals and now I'm pretty much done modding the car. I have a lot of budget parts on the car like PRC heads instead of AFR heads, a fuddle stall instead of a Yank, a used LS6 intake instead of a FAST, ect ect. I just determined I didn't need those to accomplish what I wanted. Just figure out what you want and then pick the shortest route to it.
    Solid advice here.

Thread Information