Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

172k LS1. Just started to get strange engine noise

This is a discussion on 172k LS1. Just started to get strange engine noise within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; wow.. dude you got taken for a ride at that dealership. You could have done headers, catted y pipe and ...

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

wow.. dude you got taken for a ride at that dealership. You could have done headers, catted y pipe and exhaust at a local speed shop for about that much. Not to mention the 3-4 hours you paid labor for those gaskets that you could have done in your driveway. When you removed the coil packs and bracket it would have been much easier to get to the plugs and you could have done them too along with the new wires and still have saved yourself some money by not paying the couple hundred in labor.. Wow. Since you obviously had the money then with your car already being down you also could have done a new water pump and power steering pump while you were at it.

I guess it was easiest to just go to the dealer but honestly you just made me feel realllllyy good about doing all my own work.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

wow.. dude you got taken for a ride at that dealership. You could have done headers, catted y pipe and exhaust at a local speed shop for about that much. Not to mention the 3-4 hours you paid labor for those gaskets that you could have done in your driveway. When you removed the coil packs and bracket it would have been much easier to get to the plugs and you could have done them too along with the new wires and still have saved yourself some money by not paying the couple hundred in labor.. Wow. Since you obviously had the money then with your car already being down you also could have done a new water pump and power steering pump while you were at it.

I guess it was easiest to just go to the dealer but honestly you just made me feel realllllyy good about doing all my own work.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post

You do know you posted twice right?
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I do now.. I have shitty internet that resets itself in the middle of a post. but to be honest I am glad. that needed to be posted twice.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I didn't have much of a choice... Speed shops usually take a little time... not something I could have had done in 3 hours. My car was getting really bad, really quick... oil started seeping out of all sorts of gaskets, not just the valve covers.

Immediately after the cat-change, the oil stopped dripping, except for the valvecover.

There was a dealer recall for the cats, that I received in the mail about a year ago. The limit was either 100k miles, or 120k, I forget. Either way, I was way over it, and I didn't qualify.

I don't have a jack, or a lift. I only have a few sockets, and a bunch of electronics/electrical tools. I am more of a computer/stereo/alarm guy. Normally, I would do most of the work on my own car, but this car is ridiculous when compared to my older cars. I have read posts that it takes beginners 8 hours to do a spark plug job. What?! That's crazy. If it's going to take 8 hours, or anywhere near that long, my time is more precious than the cost of getting it done.

I just wish they didn't make it so you had to dismantle half the engine bay just to pull certain things. I miss my third-gen, (but not much)

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

"already down?"

I can't have much down-time on my only vehicle. For a beginner, replacing the cats with headers, y-pipes, etc, plus valvecover gaskets, along with sparkplugs/wires, water pump, and power steering pump, would take several days... Hell a shop wouldn't even get that done in a weekend.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

no. all that work could have been down in two days fairly easily.

but still. just for the cats alone, you got ripped. hell any exhaust shop would have had you hooked up in a couple hours for a fraction of the cost. I understand being "beginner" but the gaskets werent a major priority. Even if you couldnt wait on parts for anything aftermarket (which by the way was mentioned for price comparison as to what you could have gotten anyways) then you could have just gotten the cats done at meineke or something and then posted on here for howtos on the power steering pump, water pump and gaskets.

All I was trying to get at is the dealership fucked you.. royally. I have a feeling this is all part of GMs anti bankruptcy plan

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

All I was trying to get at is the dealership fucked you.. royally. I have a feeling this is all part of GMs anti bankruptcy plan
    Shit, after how much they got him for, I don't think they gotta worry about bankruptcy.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

no. all that work could have been down in two days fairly easily.

but still. just for the cats alone, you got ripped. hell any exhaust shop would have had you hooked up in a couple hours for a fraction of the cost. I understand being "beginner" but the gaskets werent a major priority. Even if you couldnt wait on parts for anything aftermarket (which by the way was mentioned for price comparison as to what you could have gotten anyways) then you could have just gotten the cats done at meineke or something and then posted on here for howtos on the power steering pump, water pump and gaskets.

I wasn't at the dealer, actually. I was a local shop. The dealership was the only source for the cats. I called every place in town, and the only place that carries them is the dealer. They charged a shitload for them...

To clarify, I haven't gotten the water pump or anything changed, I only got the valvecover gaskets, and the cats replaced. I am still looking into whether or not I can do the plugs myself...

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Scrapmaker, I'm in Austin too and I have a black/black 2000 A4 T/A. I am not that much of a mechanic but I could do valve covers pretty easy, do my own plugs and have done injectors and fuel filter as well as a few suspension type mods (swaybar bushings). If you need a helping hand getting started then I'd be more than willing to show you how to easily do the plugs in about 30 minutes or an hour. You just have to be patient, if you can work on old cars you can do the new ones too.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I wasn't at the dealer, actually. I was a local shop. The dealership was the only source for the cats. I called every place in town, and the only place that carries them is the dealer. They charged a shitload for them...

To clarify, I haven't gotten the water pump or anything changed, I only got the valvecover gaskets, and the cats replaced. I am still looking into whether or not I can do the plugs myself...
    look man, my only point is WHOEVER worked on your car took you for a ride. You could have gotten universal cats to weld in, there is a cheaper way to go about anything that works all the same.

I am only busting your balls on this so that you know that you got ripped off and if you would just post on here before spending what seems like way to much money for something then we could all have pointed you in the right direction. There are some very good people on this forum that are always willing to help.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    Scrapmaker, I'm in Austin too and I have a black/black 2000 A4 T/A. I am not that much of a mechanic but I could do valve covers pretty easy, do my own plugs and have done injectors and fuel filter as well as a few suspension type mods (swaybar bushings). If you need a helping hand getting started then I'd be more than willing to show you how to easily do the plugs in about 30 minutes or an hour. You just have to be patient, if you can work on old cars you can do the new ones too.
    Thanks! It took me about 2 hours to get them all done... I unbolted the passenger side air tube, and got one from the bottom, and the others from the top. Interestingly enough, the one I got from the bottom was the EASIEST! (And the first one I tried--just in case.)

look man, my only point is WHOEVER worked on your car took you for a ride. You could have gotten universal cats to weld in, there is a cheaper way to go about anything that works all the same.

I am only busting your balls on this so that you know that you got ripped off and if you would just post on here before spending what seems like way to much money for something then we could all have pointed you in the right direction. There are some very good people on this forum that are always willing to help.
    I understand... I really should have gone to the exhaust shop I trust, but they were closed and my car was taking a nose dive.

Luckily I did the spark plugs myself, and I can do most things myself... I do not have a welder, but I could have done the cats myself as well.

Next on the list is power steering pump. I already replaced my alternator and 02 sensors myself...

After I did the plugs though, I still have a miss that is pretty violent at idle... a "kick," that happens maybe twice a second. It's not constant--it seems random. I am thinking I will have to take it in and get an engine diagnostic done on it. My thoughts are that it's a fuel injector or coil going bad.

Can a coil go 'partially' bad? I was playing around with the wires and unplugging them to see if there was no change when I yank one off, (trying to find out if one isn't firing,) but they all made the car run significantly worse... This might be one thing I let the shop diagnose. It's $80 for them to diagnose my misfire, and then I can fix the problems myself...

How else would you guys diagnose a misfire, that didn't go away with plugs, and o2 sensors?

Thanks! -- and I definitely regret the cats, but it was just a crazy moment... with oil being forced out of gaskets and whatnot... now my car doesn't leak oil at all... it's nice... but would have made much more sense to hollow out the cats, or get some universal ones installed.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

191K now... how long do these engines last? sheesh! (no complaints here)

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

How else would you guys diagnose a misfire, that didn't go away with plugs, and o2 sensors?
    QUOTE]

If you have original plug wires, replace them. If not check them one by one. Misfire is often electrical, so if you rule out plug wires, you are left with coil packs, or fueling/injectors... If you have an SES light you could pull codes with a simple OBD tool to get some help diagnosing.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

@ 196,200 miles now.. the car still misfires/vibrates a bit, and I've had it in the shop and they cannot figure it out. They almost think it's not a misfire at all, but perhaps bad motor mounts. The vibration is random though, and sharp kicks, just like a misfire. Problem is, the 'misfire' was never that severe--just annoying. Doesn't set off any sort of lights..

My current problem is that the camshaft sensor o-ring is leaking, either that or the oil sending unit--and I'm getting a bit of smoke. On top of that, I tried to clean the engine and stupidly I destroyed my knock sensors. The only positive bit of info is that my car BARELY pings... I've heard maybe 2 whole seconds of pinging since the sensors failed three weeks ago. I have to yank the intake and I need to set aside a weekend for all that.

Still convinced these motors are bullet-proof.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information