Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Question 107K miles on 99 TA.. want to do cam only or....

Well like stated I have a 99 TA M6 with 107 K on it. I want to do a streat drivable cam... During the install I want to throw some LT headers and prob replace the oil pump and timing chain. My question is should i replace or upgrade anything else. I have heard of port and polishing the heads. Is this worth it? I also heard I need to do new valve springs. should I also replace push rods? I really do not plan on drag racing the car would just like to beef up horse power and mainly for the sound of the cam!! Also about how long does a cam and spring install take?Thanks for your input

Light Pewter Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z/28

i have an 02 m6 z28 with 37k on it... lookin to do the same. so far ive heard that an lsa (lobe separation angle) of 112 is the best for our motors. also a high .5 or a .6 inch lift is ideal. lmperformance.com, texasspeed.com and marylandspeed.com have good deals and also look out for deals on ebay.
    as far as what to replace, im pretty set on changing the oil pump, timing set, pushrods and valvesprings. and im debating on whether or not to upgrade the lifters and rockers...
    as far as heads go, ive heard alot of good about afr 205cc as well as patriot stage 2 ls6 heads, but the price isnt in the cards for me right now. any ideas?

oh, and for boltons, i have slp lid and longtubes, MSD superconductors, magnaflow catback, offrad ypipe, ls7 clutch and boxed rear suspension. good power but the headers have some ground clearance issues (not bad, but you might want to stiffen your suspension a little so they dont bottom out, i did it and dont usually bottom out unless the angle of the ground is really extreme)

Light Pewter Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z/28

and for installation, ive heard some people can do it in about 5 hours, and others it took a weekend, so i guess it depends how much experience, and tools, and how much you replace...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    Well like stated I have a 99 TA M6 with 107 K on it. I want to do a streat drivable cam... During the install I want to throw some LT headers and prob replace the oil pump and timing chain. My question is should i replace or upgrade anything else. I have heard of port and polishing the heads. Is this worth it? I also heard I need to do new valve springs. should I also replace push rods? I really do not plan on drag racing the car would just like to beef up horse power and mainly for the sound of the cam!! Also about how long does a cam and spring install take?Thanks for your input
    I am installing a 228R cam only this weekend, and also changing springs, oil pump, pushrods, timing chain.

It is a good opportunity to add LT headers, but plan for several hours of extra work during install. I'll post up how long it takes a novice to do the cam swap after I do it.

Black
    SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    I am installing a 228R cam only this weekend, and also changing springs, oil pump, pushrods, timing chain.

It is a good opportunity to add LT headers, but plan for several hours of extra work during install. I'll post up how long it takes a novice to do the cam swap after I do it.
    Update!

Thread Information