Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

1000hp

This is a discussion on 1000hp within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I consider my 500+HP 346ci car extremely streetable. Took me less than a year to pay my Procharger build off ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I consider my 500+HP 346ci car extremely streetable. Took me less than a year to pay my Procharger build off too. When you are single and make a decent wage things are much easier.
    It's on jackstands.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I consider my 500+HP 346ci car extremely streetable. Took me less than a year to pay my Procharger build off too. When you are single and make a decent wage things are much easier.
    I think they are talking about a 346 being NA with 500 hp and it not being very streetable for most.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I think they are talking about a 346 being NA with 500 hp and it not being very streetable for most.
    YUP, NA 500 HP with a little motor gets a bit on the radical side of things.

Power adders make power easy and very streetable in the process. Jon can build an engine specifically for boost (doesn't necessarily have to be a bigger engine) and crank up the boost (if he has a procharger model that's capable like an F1A for example) and make silly power (1,000+ HP) and still be very streetable with a smooth idle and good manors.

With a stock LS1 I would guess Jon Probably used the P-1SC model, which I believe could be turned up to support about 900 crank HP on the right combo before the blower reaches it's limits.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-30-2014 at 06:49 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

OK, yea I agree there then if NA with the 346. I got the D1SC. I believe it maxes out around 16psi when coupled with the LS1 motor. Not sure on the power that would be, but I would guess around 850ish. I made 540rwhp with 9psi.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Can ya'll explain how the boost is controlled? Can you make adjustments, say I want 5lbs while running around and then when at the track turn it up?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Can ya'll explain how the boost is controlled? Can you make adjustments, say I want 5lbs while running around and then when at the track turn it up?
    Go turbo.

Boost controller with wastegate. You can wastegate a supercharger but then you will have to spin that blower at full speed, all the time. Otherwise, to get a boost change with a blower you must change the physical pulley.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I would like too at some point, but for now I just wish I could get mine running.

I'm not serious into track racing more of a just for fun. I plan on modding mine up to a point, I still want to drive on road trips.

Procharger has a boost controllable head unit at the flick of a switch. Been out for a while now. Several boost settings can be run with pump gas in mind and/or race gas. Simply turn up the wick on the fly now.

Prochargers have come a long way and are no longer behind the curve ball anymore. Efficiency doesn't play a roll like it once did. A great place to watch the turbo vs procharger vs nitrous wars are events like the NMRA and NMCA in the Outlaw and 275 radial classes. More and more Procharged cars are in the winners circle now and doing it breaking records. Quickest 275 radial car, as well street outlaw and true 10.5 record holders are all procharged cars.

The simplicity of the system and ease of installation is what makes it attractive to most people.

I also like turbos and have had a couple turbo cars, but the extra clutter makes things fun to work on to say the least.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-01-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

It's been out for awhile now, have you heard much about it? Dealing with the Fbody, there is no bolt on kit that I am aware of. It's a great design, but packaging may limit its application. Limited to 900 flywheel horsepower as well.

F1X is straight nasty and what I would build with a good lottery ticket... to race with my turbo car

Been looking into my options. Alot of reading on it and some emails back and forth with Procharger, but would like to talk to people first hand. From what I understand it's all built into the head unit and is electronic. I'd bet with time they will adapt it to all kits including the 4th gen kits. For me I'm looking at a much simpler blow through kit to install on a crate 502 I have sitting here to toss in my chevelle. Since it's all forged with low compression it will like boost, so I may go straight to an F series unit cranked up and skip the "on the fly" adjustability. Depends alot on my packaging options more than ultimate output.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed View Post
    ProCharger is not planning on offering the i-1 for the older vehicles, at least not as the present time. As a vehicle gets older, sales of ProChargers dwindles for them, and these systems are very expensive to create specific model kits for. I'm not sure there would be room in a 4th gen f body to locate the added size of the i-1's head unit. Thanks. Bob
    -- Straight from Bob at Brute Speed.

Sadly, these cars are old and lost profitability for new and exciting things.

I don't think anything below an F series blowers would enjoy being on that many CI. 502 cubes and an F1X would be big dawg status!

Edit: that post is from 2013, but I don't see it happening.

A helical gear set D1 would be great for the street on say... 390-402 CI. I don't think I could DD an F series blower based on the noise alone.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 10-01-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

The Chevelle has a bunch of room, though... I'm sure. Does Procharger think one of their i-1 kits will adapt to your situation? Did they think the 502 CI would work well with it?

Well that kills the Fbody option, but won't affect me. Seems the 4th gens get kicked to the side since everyone seems to want the latest and greatest

The noise won't bother me, it's already loud as it is, in decibals and in paint , and it's not a daily ride anyway and definately never was a car I could sneak up on anyone .

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well that kills the Fbody option, but won't affect me. Seems the 4th gens get kicked to the side since everyone seems to want the latest and greatest

The noise won't bother me, it's already loud as it is, in decibals and in paint , and it's not a daily ride anyway and definately never was a car I could sneak up on anyone .
    I dare ask, what color paint is it? For a fun car, the noise wouldn't faze me either. Track car same thing. I would love to build a gear drive F1X. I'm surprised those blowers are still allowed in some classes!
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Orange with black stripes.....I call it a safety color

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I had envisioned some bright yellow, maybe red flames around the edges as if the entire bottom half of the car were catching fire.

That's a relief. Sounds like a great ride. You ole timers love your big CI and 2-3 speeds Some kind of build thread around here for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I had envisioned some bright yellow, maybe red flames around the edges as if the entire bottom half of the car were catching fire.

That's a relief. Sounds like a great ride. You ole timers love your big CI and 2-3 speeds Some kind of build thread around here for it?
    Ha, not that bad Yeah been a fan of big CI for years. Dad has just built himself a 571 for his old car, currently driving it. Dyno'd 724/760 HP/TQ. Now my little 454 with 640hp won't keep up (it's an old rivalry) I've built the car a few times, had it for about 28 years, even the current engine is probably 12 years old now. So no current build threads. But could start a build thread I guess when this 502 goes in but doubt much interest in a 42 year old car on here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information