Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

1000hp

This is a discussion on 1000hp within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Yeah and that's just the engine. You can bet since they are using a tall deck block with a 4.5" ...

Yeah and that's just the engine. You can bet since they are using a tall deck block with a 4.5" crank (no mention of bore size) we are talking about at least 572 cubes or more to get this done. Likely 4.6" bore or so....My father built his 571 pontiac with a standard deck height and a 4.75" crank to get to those cubes (smaller bore).

This kind of power just can't be put in a car with a good trans and rearend either, power like this needs a full blown tube chassis car that will set you back another $100k to build, it would also need a minimum funny car style cage to certify the car for any NHRA track time because of the ET this car should be capable of. So yeah, they do drive stuff like this on the street for things like the hotrod drags where they drive around for a week and hit different tracks, but let me tell you these cars are in no way fun drive for any length of time, nor are they practical at all. That's where the whole "street car" thing comes into play. It's really a grey area for alot of people. These cars are nothing more than Pro Mod's with a license plate. Not something you take your son to school in on a daily basis or run to the grocery store with.

Red
    2002 Firehawk 6speed.

I agree FBJ. That kind of motor and set-up is way beyond most peoples budget. That much power and torque is really an expensive proposition to deal with for the rest of the car. Yea by no means theses are grocery getter cars but it can be done if you really want it. Just looked at the nelson site. there is a cool vid of a day at Nelson racing.

I have to be realistic on my 402 LS build. 600-700HP if I can get the right combo. Still want the car to be realiable and run on PG not RG.

Anyone want to try this build?

Just in case post of the 402 LSX 1080 HP motor build for someone that wants to be the first to try it.
    Check out the vids on a Day with Nelson racing. Cool stuff.

Big bucks for just a motor.

LSX Injected and Intercooled Twin Turbo
    1050 HP with 1000 TQ using pump gas and 1600 HP with 1560
    TQ using race gas at only 14 PSI. Built and designed for those
    who want to drive the hell out of their car, with brutal power
    and extreme reliability. This motor will get you in the 8ís at
    over 150 MPH in the quarter mile... on pump gas!
    At Nelson Racing Engines our slogan is "We Make Horsepower."
    How do we go about doing this? It just may have something to
    do with our reputation for building the baddest twin turbo
    beasts on the market.
    HOT ROD SERIES
    $36,000
    1.818.998.5593 9318 Oso Avenue Chatsworth, California 91311
    NRE402 CALL NOW! 1.818.998.5593
    GM LSX 6 BOLT BLOCK 9.240 DECK
    CALLIES 4340 FORGED 4.0 CRANKSHAFT
    OLIVER 4340 BILLET CONNECTING RODS 6.0
    JE FORGED PISTONS
    HELL FIRE
    CLEVITE ENGINE BEARINGS H SERIES
    HYDRAULIC ROLLER CAMSHAFT/LIFTERS
    ALL PRO 6 BOLT
    GM INTAKE 90 MM TB
    COMETIC MULTI LAYER
    ARP STUDS
    MODIFIED LS6
    BILLET CNC DAMPER
    ELECTROMOTIVE LAP TOP PROGRAMMABLE
    60-2 CRANK TRIGGER WITH 4 IGNITION COILS
    STAINLESS STEEL TUBULAR EX HEADERS
    2 72MM TURBONETICS TANG.
    TIAL 44 MM V-BAND BILLET WASTEGATES
    TIAL
    CUSTOM TO YOUR APPLICATION
    BILLET FABRICATION SHEETMETAL BILLET RAILS
    AEROMOTIVE FUEL PUMP AND FILTERS
    ENGINE SPECS
    ALL NELSON
    RACING
    ENGINES ARE
    CUSTOM BUILT
    FOR YOUR
    APPLICATION
    AND DYNO
    TESTED AND
    TUNED TO
    PERFECTION.
    BLOCK:
    CRANKSHAFT:
    CONNECTING RODS:
    PISTONS:
    RINGS:
    BEARINGS:
    VALVETRAIN:
    CYL HEADS:
    INDUCTION:
    HEAD GASKETS:
    FASTENERS:
    OIL SYSTEM:
    HARMONIC DAMPER:
    FUEL MANAGEMENT:
    IGNITION:
    EXHAUST SYSTEM:
    TURBOCHARGERS:
    WASTEGATES:
    BLOW-OFF VALVE:
    AIR TO AIR INTERCOOLER:
    VALVE COVERS:
    FUEL SYSTEM:
    2002 Red Firehawk 6 sp (no Mods)
    1970 Judge (restored)
    1970 LS6 Chevelle. (Current LS 402 Supercharged Retrofit Project)
    1696 Judge (Working On)
    1970 RA 4sp Trans Am (Needs restoration)
    1971 455 HO 4sp Trans Am ( Needs restoration)

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    No offense to you, but you're like the 10th person to post about this "1000 hp" here....and not a single person has come through.
    Where is the OP?
    It's on jackstands.

Where is the OP?
    If I had to guess, he probably took the advice given here, started looking into things, and then realized we weren't kidding

Even a 500-600HP car isn't an easy or cheap endeavor, let alone 1,000 hp.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Even a 500-600HP car isn't an easy or cheap endeavor, let alone 1,000 hp.
    You got that right!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Hey with a 300 shot of nitrous I could be close lol. I do agree with what FBJ said though once done with mine it most certainly will have not been cheap to build my car at whatever the hp ends up being. I try not to think about the money though lol.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have almost sunk into mine what I paid for it new, and that's without even touching the motor. Isn't a cheap hobby.

Black/ Silver

I have almost sunk into mine what I paid for it new, and that's without even touching the motor. Isn't a cheap hobby.
    Very true I would have to add up everything but I know I definitely have more that I paid for my car twice over at least though. I didn't buy it new though.

Black
    2012 Charger SRT8

The 1000 hp mark isnt as hard as it once was 5 years ago. And NO crazy cubic inches ISNT a must have. The Gt500 crowd get the 1k HP mark with a Supercharger swap on a 5.8L.... same will apply to the new Z06 and Hellcat. Now the bar is the 2k mark... /shrug. Or who can make 1000 HP and get 30 MPG!! (See new supercars)

Before you aim for the 'dyno queen' 1k mark: Have you driven a 700 rwhp car? 800 rwhp? 700 rwhp on the street is almost unusable without a full drag setup with slicks. My 700 rwhp Z06 would spin the tires to 100 mph with drag radials..

Only streetable 1k HP formula is Built motor plus turbo or supercharger then reenforce everthing around it. Not cheap, but nothing about cars is.

Quote Originally Posted by blaine View Post
    The 1000 hp mark isnt as hard as it once was 5 years ago. And NO crazy cubic inches ISNT a must have. The Gt500 crowd get the 1k HP mark with a Supercharger swap on a 5.8L.... same will apply to the new Z06 and Hellcat. Now the bar is the 2k mark... /shrug. Or who can make 1000 HP and get 30 MPG!! (See new supercars)

Before you aim for the 'dyno queen' 1k mark: Have you driven a 700 rwhp car? 800 rwhp? 700 rwhp on the street is almost unusable without a full drag setup with slicks. My 700 rwhp Z06 would spin the tires to 100 mph with drag radials..

Only streetable 1k HP formula is Built motor plus turbo or supercharger then reenforce everthing around it. Not cheap, but nothing about cars is.
    I think that was the whole premise that we all tried to get accross. It's not all that hard with a power adder, just very expensive. It's much harder without a power adder if you want pump gas and streetable. To accomplish it that way requires alot of cubes, and pump gas streetable won't hit the 1,000 HP mark naturally aspirated either.
    My father just went through this on his old goat. Built a pump gas 571 (no power adder) that came off the dyno at 724/760 HP/TQ with a table top torque curve that's well over 700 for most of the pull thanks to a well thought out combo. Even in a 3800 lbs. car it's a handful but so far has proven to be a very streetable engine. Time and only a small amount of money was already spent on suspension setup for optimum straight line hook years before with a previous engine, so it's working quite well actually with the drag radials in place. The full frame cars with the factory 4 link rears (like this one) already have an advantage in the hook and weight transfer department. With the instant center set up correctly, adjustable shocks and a couple of minor tricks is all that is needed for this car to carry the front wheels and run 1.5 60 foot times.

F-bodies, vettes, and alot of other new stuff out there won't have such an easy time with it since they are dealing with unibody construction and suspensions that are primarily setup to go around corners rather than a straight line....as you found out your HP is wasted in tire smoke rather than forward movement. If there are things on the market for the Z06's to make the suspension work better in a straight line it should take care of most of that tire spin issue you have. I've dealt with and own or have owned several IRS cars including a Z06 and a few others. Unfortunately they aren't the best design to "put power down" and tend to suffer in the 60 foot department and I haven't seen much out there to help the situation without spending ALOT of money.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-14-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I'm going for the magic 1,xxx HP, and the build is long and challenging. This post isn't for the OP, obvious troll. More so, for the next guy who wants to dive into this hobby, head first. You can do things on the cheap, 5.3 stock builds have been 8's over and over. To accomplish this feat, you must be well versed in tuning and be able to keep the setup perfect. Guys like me, have to build some safeties into the equation. For 1,000+ sustainable, street horsepower, you are looking at at a good chunk of change and you better bring your ambition and patience. Waiting on parts, receiving the wrongs parts, dealing with horrible business practices will all push you to your limits.

I am building my car 100% in shop. No farming out work, mainly because I can't afford to

370 - Callies H beam rods, Diamond pistons. BTR TFS as cast heads, trunnion upgrade rockers with powdered metal valve guides.

4L80E with trans brake and a bunch of billet inside. No one likes having transmission problems.

MWC fab 9". Strange S Trac. 5/8's wheel studs. Narrowed 3" per side. Double adjustable everything on the suspension.

Viking double adjustable coil overs on all four corners

Fabricated sumped fuel tank. Holley 12-1800 pump. -10 lines to and from with 160lb Holley injectors. Low impedance.

Holley Dominator EFI. This list is long and boring. Great vehicle management system, though.

Twin turbo kit. Billet dual ball bearing Precision 67/66 turbo. Rated at 935 a piece.

8 point chromoly cage. Dual swing out.

That is a good starting point for someone that wants to keep air conditioning. Turbo kit can be done easier for a build with more flexibility. I need AC, though. 1,000 HP is useless on the street. You will need/want a good boost controller for two reasons. You want to be able to dial the boost down on the street and you want to be able to ramp that boost in so it doesn't hit the tires so hard. This can be done by gear, MPH etc. You can get by with less computer and run HP Tuners or similar, but by the time you buy a two step, a good boost controller, meth controller, injector driver, you could have saved money and had these items plus a bunch more, all wrapped up neatly in one box.

In closing, if you want that big number... I wish you the best of luck. It will be a long road, and unless you're a millionaire, a stressful one. The first time you let off that trans brake and hit the 295/55/15 MT at the track with 900+ RWHP, it will be worth it!

I am close to completion of my build, it's taken 12 months to get to this point. I've come close to having it towed to my condo and just let it sit All I am waiting for is my oil scavenge pump, lines, mini starter and some air filters to get it running the road again. When it runs, I'll post some video. I'm hoping for the limits of the 4 bolt cylinder head when leaned on.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 09-28-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I'm going for the magic 1,xxx HP, and the build is long and challenging. This post isn't for the OP, obvious troll. More so, for the next guy who wants to dive into this hobby, head first. You can do things on the cheap, 5.3 stock builds have been 8's over and over. To accomplish this feat, you must be well versed in tuning and be able to keep the setup perfect. Guys like me, have to build some safeties into the equation. For 1,000+ sustainable, street horsepower, you are looking at at a good chunk of change and you better bring your ambition and patience. Waiting on parts, receiving the wrongs parts, dealing with horrible business practices will all push you to your limits.

I am building my car 100% in shop. No farming out work, mainly because I can't afford to

370 - Callies H beam rods, Diamond pistons. BTR TFS as cast heads, trunnion upgrade rockers with powdered metal valve guides.

4L80E with trans brake and a bunch of billet inside. No one likes having transmission problems.

MWC fab 9". Strange S Trac. 5/8's wheel studs. Narrowed 3" per side. Double adjustable everything on the suspension.

Viking double adjustable coil overs on all four corners

Fabricated sumped fuel tank. Holley 12-1800 pump. -10 lines to and from with 160lb Holley injectors. Low impedance.

Holley Dominator EFI. This list is long and boring. Great vehicle management system, though.

Twin turbo kit. Billet dual ball bearing Precision 67/66 turbo. Rated at 935 a piece.

8 point chromoly cage. Dual swing out.

That is a good starting point for someone that wants to keep air conditioning. Turbo kit can be done easier for a build with more flexibility. I need AC, though. 1,000 HP is useless on the street. You will need/want a good boost controller for two reasons. You want to be able to dial the boost down on the street and you want to be able to ramp that boost in so it doesn't hit the tires so hard. This can be done by gear, MPH etc. You can get by with less computer and run HP Tuners or similar, but by the time you buy a two step, a good boost controller, meth controller, injector driver, you could have saved money and had these items plus a bunch more, all wrapped up neatly in one box.

In closing, if you want that big number... I wish you the best of luck. It will be a long road, and unless you're a millionaire, a stressful one. The first time you let off that trans brake and hit the 295/55/15 MT at the track with 900+ RWHP, it will be worth it!

I am close to completion of my build, it's taken 12 months to get to this point. I've come close to having it towed to my condo and just let it sit All I am waiting for is my oil scavenge pump, lines, mini starter and some air filters to get it running the road again. When it runs, I'll post some video. I'm hoping for the limits of the 4 bolt cylinder head when leaned on.
    Similar to my dream build which I will do at some point but more displacement, a 427 or 454 with a f1A or F2 procharger.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Go turbo.

Cubic inches are completely unnecessary for boosted builds, especially turbo builds. 3xx cubic inches are good for bottom 8's high 7's. I will have a difficult time keeping this setup under 1,000 horsepower.

A corvette with the same system and turbos has put down 1476 to the wheels. Who knows what the drive train could handle at the track, though.

Small cubes, smaller camshafts, easier to tune and drive.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

A guy in a local club just hit around mid to high 700's on his single turbo. Not sure what his build is, but still impressive.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Go turbo.

Cubic inches are completely unnecessary for boosted builds, especially turbo builds. 3xx cubic inches are good for bottom 8's high 7's. I will have a difficult time keeping this setup under 1,000 horsepower.

A corvette with the same system and turbos has put down 1476 to the wheels. Who knows what the drive train could handle at the track, though.

Small cubes, smaller camshafts, easier to tune and drive.
    I have never been a fan of turbos so no I'd rather go the procharger route. That and my expensive exhaust would be a waste (Kooks headers and TDs). I also love big cubes and I already have or will have over 400 ci with my current build so I'd at least stick with in the 4xx range but maybe change a few things.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I could get 1000 hp cam only...

JOKE

I would not push much past 500 for a streetable daily car. 500 plus can be done but the cost gets crazy and true street ability go away IMO at that point.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 09-29-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post

I would not push much past 500 for a streetable daily car. 500 plus can be done but the cost gets crazy and true street ability go away IMO at that point.
    Depends on how you do it. If you want to keep a little engine with no power adders then yeah....500hp gets on the ragged edge of what some people consider streetable.

Very easy to hit 500 with just 400 cubes and no power adder and be very streetable without much cost involved, and very easy to make 700 or more without a power adder if you build something in the 540-570ci range and be very streetable while running pump gas, but now we are talking much more expense. Honestly it seems the "new" big engine size nowadays is 540 or more. Tons of 540+ street cars running around that make an easy 650-750 HP.

But much easier to make the big numbers with a smaller engine and just toss on the power adder of your choice. Now you can make 800-1,000+ HP and still keep your streetability, you just have to spend your retirement to do it

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Depends on how you do it. If you want to keep a little engine with no power adders then yeah....500hp gets on the ragged edge of what some people consider streetable.

Very easy to hit 500 with just 400 cubes and no power adder and be very streetable without much cost involved, and very easy to make 700 or more without a power adder if you build something in the 540-570ci range and be very streetable while running pump gas, but now we are talking much more expense. Honestly it seems the "new" big engine size nowadays is 540 or more. Tons of 540+ street cars running around that make an easy 650-750 HP.

But much easier to make the big numbers with a smaller engine and just toss on the power adder of your choice. Now you can make 800-1,000+ HP and still keep your streetability, you just have to spend your retirement to do it
    Aye I was just speaking of the LS1.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Aye I was just speaking of the LS1.
    Then I concur A 500HP little 346 would be a pretty high strung engine. Fun for sure, but may not be streetable for most people.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

$

If I was married when I started the turbo build, I'm sure I would be divorced by now!
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information