'07 Escalade 6.0 Strength

This is a discussion on '07 Escalade 6.0 Strength within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What kind of power can this motor hold? I am looking at boosting one up and want to now what ...

1966 Chevelle 300 Deluxe

Question '07 Escalade 6.0 Strength

What kind of power can this motor hold? I am looking at boosting one up and want to now what my breaking point would be. Are these engine prone to any kind of "problems" that should be addressed, it is a pull out with about 30k on it.

Thanks,

Gunnar

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

they only down side that i have heard is... if it is the iron 6.0 it is 88 pounds heavier but can hold way more boost cause of the iron block... i really don't know if it is iron or aluminum they act the same just iron can hold more hp because it is stronger... also never heard anything bad about the blocks all i heard is good things

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 66MONEY-PIT View Post
    What kind of power can this motor hold? I am looking at boosting one up and want to now what my breaking point would be. Are these engine prone to any kind of "problems" that should be addressed, it is a pull out with about 30k on it.

Thanks,

Gunnar
    I'm installing a 6.0 Lq9 out of 05 escalade with 22k as we speak. I would do a few small upgrades while you have the block out which will allow it to handle over 700 hp with stock rotating assembly. Lq9 has coated pistons from the factory and the cast iron block is strong as hell. Many have gone over 800 hp on stock block with a few upgrades.
    First I would upgrade to arp rod bolts, these will strengthen up stock bottom end alot. Next go with arp head studs with multilayer cometic head gaskets.
    Also go with melling high volume oil pump.
    Just these few upgrades will have you ready to make good power.
    Im doing these mods on mine, but also with Magic Stick 4 cam, prc double springs, tsp hardened pushrods, Cuccaro Motorsports hand ported lq9 heads (ls6 style ports), hand ported tb and Im upping my previous nos shot to 200! I'm in search of 550 at motor plus 200 of juice for a total of 750 is my goal with motor and juice together.
    If you just throw it in there with no upgrades you could hold 500-600hp without a problem its just a matter of how long. I'd definately lower compression if your boosting you could accomplish this with large chamber heads and thicker cometic head gaskets also lower compression and add strength. Would be cheaper than changing pistons unless you have budget to upgrade to low compression forged. I'd also run meth injection kit with boost it will allow you to make more safe power due to lower intake temps. I'll post pics of my setup soon.
    Jesse
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-06-2008 at 01:19 PM.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

If you can afford tubular K-member it will more than offset weight especially with the aftermarket struts. Thats if your running fbody of course, says in your profile a chevelle are you doing swap?

1966 Chevelle 300 Deluxe

Currently on the fence on whether to go with "old iron" (1969 dz302 block bored to 383) or "new iron" (6.0 ls2). I am being told that 800-900rwhp is easy obtainable with my 383, just need a half fill and to swap out for all forged gusts. To much time to consider my opinions has got me wanting to go 2 directions now. If the 6.0 would easily hold then I was switching but now they are kinda about the same, with good qualities either way.

Thanks for the info,

Gunnar

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 66MONEY-PIT View Post
    Currently on the fence on whether to go with "old iron" (1969 dz302 block bored to 383) or "new iron" (6.0 ls2). I am being told that 800-900rwhp is easy obtainable with my 383, just need a half fill and to swap out for all forged gusts. To much time to consider my opinions has got me wanting to go 2 directions now. If the 6.0 would easily hold then I was switching but now they are kinda about the same, with good qualities either way.

Thanks for the info,

Gunnar

Yes good luck, just to put in two cents on that old block will handle power grout filled and forged but 6.0 will actually handle good power but will also make more power easily because of gen 111 head design and engine benefits. Plus you wont necesarily have to go all forged to handle good power they have 6 bolt mains and deep skirt block that ties into main caps. Which means you could make more power for maybe less money. Dont get me wrong I started with sbc and love em but love the gen 111 power and driveability. Just for example when my ls1 was stock internals with some bolt ons it would run with my 83 camaro with comp 276, ported vortec heads, intake and carbed 355 sbc no problem. In other words I had mild heads and flat tappet hydraulic cam and full bolt ons with that sbc just to barely outrun my stock engined bolt on ls1!

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I personally would go with the Gen3. For that power level you cannot beat the head flow numbers for the price and that is where a great deal of your power will be made. For instance, 100% stock L92 heads outflow BBC heads. A 1200$ set of CNC'd L92's will blow most aftermarket SBC heads out of the water. The chambers are a much more efficient design. The 15 degree heads of newer Gen 3 engines were exotic stuff reserved for Stuff like NASCAR. I started with SBC's but after much research and modding myself you can make much more power with better driveability with Gen 3 stuff. My Cam only bolt on Z28 would go toe to toe and possibly beat (never raced them one or the other was always down) my partners Nova with a 406 SBC with almost the same lift/duration cam, aftermarket heads, full roller drivetrain etc. Yet I could drive mine with the AC on at a stoplight his was "streetable" but we dared not drive it any distance especially with 4.88's. He used to be old school only and resisted with a passion my LS influence until the first time he drove my car after the cam install and tune. He will gladly admit he was wrong.

Thread Information