Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

05 GTO- L92 heads and Cam swap. Pix

Ok we are on day one of the new swap. The GTO is amazing to work on compared to an F Body. My heads and cam swap took me forever but this one is a damned breeze. We already have the cam swapped and are ready for reassembly

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

SWEEETTT!!! Definitely looks like there is alot more room to move around under there. Any numbers yet?
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    SWEEETTT!!! Definitely looks like there is alot more room to move around under there. Any numbers yet?
    nope, we are actually on hold til tuesday to finish putting her back together. Everything is done now except the heads and up. We just finished putting in the tranny cooler and front portion of the engine a lil bit ago. Now we have an interior to put back in a mustang and hopeuflly get that running again and then my TA will be back on the road monday and our little car club will be operational again lol

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

so why is she reassembled in the pics if you still have to do the heads? im confused...

anyway, what cc are those l92 heads, ive read alittle about them and they are supposed to be BAD ASS! and out of curiosity what mm is the ls2 tb? 90?

looks damn good, what are the cam specs?

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    so why is she reassembled in the pics if you still have to do the heads? im confused...

anyway, what cc are those l92 heads, ive read alittle about them and they are supposed to be BAD ASS! and out of curiosity what mm is the ls2 tb? 90?

looks damn good, what are the cam specs?
    , the pics arent really in chronological order. actually if you start at the bottom and go upwards its more accurate.

yes the ls2 throttle body is 90mm and the L76 intake we are putting on is 90mm. The L92 heads are a 70cc chamber with a 2.16 intake valve and 1.59 exhaust valve and are supposed to flow 330CFM right out of the box with NO machine work at all. Maybe one day when the roommate has some spare money I will pull his heads back off and we can take them to be machined. That and I wanna push him to do a bigger cam in the near future anyways after we see how this one performs and he gets a stall converter.

The cam specs are 224-228 duration 585-595 lift on a 114lsa. She should be a beast!

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    , the pics arent really in chronological order. actually if you start at the bottom and go upwards its more accurate.

yes the ls2 throttle body is 90mm and the L76 intake we are putting on is 90mm. The L92 heads are a 70cc chamber with a 2.16 intake valve and 1.59 exhaust valve and are supposed to flow 330CFM right out of the box with NO machine work at all. Maybe one day when the roommate has some spare money I will pull his heads back off and we can take them to be machined. That and I wanna push him to do a bigger cam in the near future anyways after we see how this one performs and he gets a stall converter.

The cam specs are 224-228 duration 585-595 lift on a 114lsa. She should be a beast!
    thats awesome. god dang those heads are bitchin!!! theyre fairly cheap from what ive seen and that flow is damn good. getting em milled would always be a good thing too as you said.

whats the flow rate for the intake?? do you know by chance? trying to get a visual here because im weird like that.

good work though. the goats=more fucking room!!!

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

sorry I do not now the flow rate for the intake. I do know the setup is supposed to be good for a very substantial increase in power

98 Formula
    06 duramax

looking good. I too am wondering what kinda gains he'll see from those heads. That should be a nice cam for that car. Should make decent torque to push that fat pig around. WTF happened to that pushrod?? I would hang that one on the garage wall.
    I would be tempted to do heads/cam on my gto if I decide to keep it but I've been having the itch for a camaro when they come back out if I can fit a couple kids in the back seat.
    I assume you got yours finished then. How did that tool work out for you? I wasn't sure if you knew how to use it or not but just assumed you did.
    ps
    Tell him to clean that engine bay.
    Last edited by 0rion; 08-04-2007 at 04:15 PM.

At least you were smart and didnt over cam that thing. L92s are pretty sensitive to IVC points and total overlap. Make sure you check the PTV clearance really carefully. Without flycutting, with those big intake valves she may be close.
    PS I believe the L76 intake flows just under 300 CFM. I think it was 298.
    I was part of a collective effort build on a 403/L92/L76 that got a bunch of attention on the other forum, and CF. Richard at West Coast Cylinder Heads flowed a L76 manifold during that build. He also supplied the CNCed heads we used. They were one of the first few sets in the country.
    Hope the Mods dont mind me posting this....
    Last edited by edcmat-l1; 08-04-2007 at 08:03 PM.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    looking good. I too am wondering what kinda gains he'll see from those heads. That should be a nice cam for that car. Should make decent torque to push that fat pig around. WTF happened to that pushrod?? I would hang that one on the garage wall.
    I would be tempted to do heads/cam on my gto if I decide to keep it but I've been having the itch for a camaro when they come back out if I can fit a couple kids in the back seat.
    I assume you got yours finished then. How did that tool work out for you? I wasn't sure if you knew how to use it or not but just assumed you did.
    ps
    Tell him to clean that engine bay.

yup I got mine running very well and its not leaking anymore. it is still a little rough because its not fully tuned yet but she pulls like a train. I guess you didnt see my threads about snapping my torque arm already

about that pushrod.. we had used my stock pushrods for our pulley puller to get off the harmonic balancer since the ones in the kit where to short and uh this one just didnt do the trick to say the least. That tool has worked out GREAT 3 times now man, I really appreciate it. It would have been such a pain in the ass to do that balancer in the car without it so I really owe you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    yup I got mine running very well and its not leaking anymore. it is still a little rough because its not fully tuned yet but she pulls like a train. I guess you didnt see my threads about snapping my torque arm already

about that pushrod.. we had used my stock pushrods for our pulley puller to get off the harmonic balancer since the ones in the kit where to short and uh this one just didnt do the trick to say the least. That tool has worked out GREAT 3 times now man, I really appreciate it. It would have been such a pain in the ass to do that balancer in the car without it so I really owe you.
    I used that tool to get the balancer off. Just ran it down and put the center of the puller on it. Pushrod would be a good choice unless your puller starts to squirm on you. I made a pretzel out of my father-in-laws puller when it started squirming and I just kept cranking.
    I have a stocker torque arm out in the shed if you want it. I would recommend an aftermarket one though.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I used that tool to get the balancer off. Just ran it down and put the center of the puller on it. Pushrod would be a good choice unless your puller starts to squirm on you. I made a pretzel out of my father-in-laws puller when it started squirming and I just kept cranking.
    I have a stocker torque arm out in the shed if you want it. I would recommend an aftermarket one though.
    We finally got used to the puller from autozone so we just wanted to do everything how we figured out it was best on my car. This swap cant take as long as the last one

I can still use my torque arm, I just have to wait til tomorrow when my new bracket should be in. I have a Spohn Adj. TA so the rear mounting bracket comes off and I am replacing just that piece. I really didnt want to have to get rid of that one because it is crossmember mounted and keeps the stress off my tranny

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I thought those ports looked a little odd to be L92's. Aren't the L92 intake ports more square and not cathedral port like the LS heads? Nice work BTW bte its going to scream.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    I thought those ports looked a little odd to be L92's. Aren't the L92 intake ports more square and not cathedral port like the LS heads? Nice work BTW bte its going to scream.
    Yes they are, that is the reason you need to use the L76 intake manifold with it.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

SHE IS ALIVE!! only 2 full days of work for the entire swap (waited on parts) here is an idle vid.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...83258350&hl=en

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds good. Now just need to get to the track for some times. I'm taking mine sept 16th to see what I can get out of it. I'm thinking I have something going on with mine. Something just isn't right there. I don't know if I have a shotty lifter or something but I just feel like something ain't quite right with it. I'm having all kinds of KR issues that I don't feel I should be having. I'm gonna have someone else take a look at it and see what they think. Could just be my tune is still way off but I really don't think that's what it is. I mean I had to turn my misfires completely off instead of just turning them off at low rpms because it was unlocking the convertor on a regular basis. I do think the passenger side has more noise to it than the drivers side but that could be my imagination also. I just need to get a good second opinion and then go from there. I'm gonna run it at the track either way though.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

mine isnt acting right at all either but mine hasnt had any tuning except what I could do with the predator. I dont really know what you think. She pulls like crazy at WOT but anything other than WOT and she hesitates and stutters and gets misfire codes. The codes wouldnt bother me but they werent there the first week that I ran it..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you just need a tune. misfire codes come with a cam but normally you can desensitize them down in the idle and off idle regions and keep them at wot. I would pull a couple plugs and see what they look like. I wonder if you've fouled a couple driving it around while it's so rich. Might be something to look at if you think it's not running right. I would say yours is 99.9% tune.

Thread Information