Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

03 C5 Z06 w/ Magnacharger/Nitrous--- Camshaft/Heads Choices?

Well I did some research on my 3 forums ls1, ls1tech, z06vette and and all say to add the info for camshaft/heads suggestions. Here it goes...

1.LS6, Stock

2. Stock heads for now.

3. I'm looking for a happy medium here. I like high end power but also low end torque. So the I dont want the powerband to sacrifice much on either end of the camshaft spectrum.

4. I dont care about a choppy idle, i want the car to perform its best. Sound is unimportant.

5. The car will see the strip occasionly.

6. intake, long tubes, Magnacharger, has wet shot of nitrous but not being used right now

7.With the Maggie i obviously already have injectors and such. I am willing to spend what it takes to do the job right. Preferably dont want to spend $3K on heads tho.

9.M6 Transmission

10. I could go for a custom ground cam. Anyone have any experience with Delta Camshaft The reason I am asking on here tho is i wouldnt know what duration, LSA, lift, to request. Wait i think i read something that LSA cant be changed.

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

GM factory LS9 ZR1 211/230 .558/.552 122 LSA cam
    Texas Speed 224/228 .581/.588 114 LSA cam
    Lingenfelter GT2-3 207/220 .571/.578 w 1.7 rocker 118.5 CL

these are the suggestions that have been offered so far

Black
    2003 Silverado SS

I would go with the ls9 cam. Its a good cam for boost aplications and i think i would give you great low end torque and great high end power. Thats only my idea.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Ls9 cam will not work an 03 is still gen 3. You could however get a custom on grinded to similar specs. I would contact Texas speed or somewhere similar and tell them your needs. They should be able to set you up.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black
    2003 Silverado SS

Im sorry but i have seen a ls9 cam in a ls1. I think its not just direct swap, but you need to do some modifications, however. Dont exactly know what modifications need to be done. However, i dont see why it wouldn't work.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

As his engine stands now it will not work. Yes you can make it work but it isn't worth it in my opinion unless you like wasting money.

Gen 4s cam don't have the cam sensor reluctor at the back of the cam so the only way to make it work is to swap in a gen 4 cam sprocket,front cover with cam sensor in it and lengthen the wiring harness for the sensor.

By the time you buy all the stuff you would need to make it work you might as well have just bought a custom grind that is a direct swap in.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

This is my take on this...

The Magnacharger will only move a finite amount of air. What I mean is, it doesn't as much matter WHAT you put under it, once the blower is close to being done, X amount of air moved is going to make (close to) X amount of HP. I have many 03-04 C5Z customers who have pushed their forced induction setups pretty far on the stock engine. The stock LS6 is somewhat boost friendly as-is. I don't mean the pistons, I mean the OEM heads/cam/intake. The power adder will mostly define the power curve on it's own as well. The Vette on the front of my website from a few years ago has been making 675-ish RWHP and has (to this day) still never had a valve cover off of it. He has a D1SC, Alkycontrol methanol, nice LTs and exhaust, and about 12psi. No-doubt that is past the point of safety, but his and others have lived there for years. A more conservative ceiling would be 550rwhp or 600rwhp with a close eye on the timing side of your tuning.

Focus on the power adder you already have and how you can make it work better... Make sure your exhaust is doing work. You can make as much power on the stock LS6 setup with that blower as anything else, so start with more boost. Do work on the heat exchanger, and anything you can do to help the intercooler... Think about methanol nozzles into the base of the blower to spray the discharge port. This is more affordable, can make the same power, and maintains stock driveability. Maybe even think about eBaying that maggie in favor of an ATI D1 kit

Thread Information