Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

$5000 to spend, what to do

This is a discussion on $5000 to spend, what to do within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I can tell you my cars gas mileage has gone to shit since i installed my cam, its only gonna ...

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

I can tell you my cars gas mileage has gone to shit since i installed my cam, its only gonna get worse after i do heads and gears.

black, and black
    04 M6

try this and only 3,000 just think what else u could buy

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...3-P1625C0.aspx
    Last edited by kyemt; 06-25-2007 at 08:29 PM. Reason: wrong link

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

that thing stock is only gonn be making 350 rwhp, he's already got a low mileage ls1 so he should just work with what he has.

Quote Originally Posted by DMash1080 View Post
    I know there's a lot of talk about this, but I would like peoples specifics of what they would do with the money. I've got $5000 to spend on my bone stock 2002 Trans Am WS6. Has just 30,xxx miles. This is going to be my daily driver so keep that in mind. I want to get the most hp out of the 5 grand that I can though. Thanks alot guys!
    Why don't you just put the money towards any repairs or maintenance which is needed, then put the rest of it in the bank.

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by apache View Post
    Why don't you just put the money towards any repairs or maintenance which is needed, then put the rest of it in the bank.
    .... so maybe a set of struts and shocks, oil change, tranny flush, and brakes??
    whats the fun in having a stock ls1?

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac T/A WS-6

I would definately go forced induction. If tuned correctly it doesn't compromise durability and it doesn't kill gas mileage, provided you keep your foot off the floorboard. Most that have gone the Heads and Cam route that I have heard from say they wish they would have went FI. That's what I'm saving up to do.

Ratdaddy07
    Cannot be true that forced induction will not decrease durability, that is just physically impossible. I know people do it all the time without building the bottom end but it WILL catch up with them it depends how long you want the car and if you don't plan on keeping it forever try selling a car that people know had a turbo or supercharger. With 5K you could get nice heads and cam package, headers and probably have enough left for LCA and tires to make it hook. Gut the cats and get fake o2 sensors it is cheap and it works along with headers. One mans opinion.

Ratdaddy07
    One more thing I think everyone should know when building up a car and never gets told. The more power you get the more hidden cost. i.e. too much power now you need a better clutch, better fuel pump, rear end may not last, get it to hook and you may break that factory drive shaft. I guess what I am saying is beware of getting too radical or prepare to go over budget. .580 to .590 lift and get the thing breathing right will make good power, a good driver and wont kill every other part in the car. Just telling you what I wish someone would have told me.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by 02Hawk View Post
    didnt you get rid of your TA for a mazda or somethin? just curious to see if you still had it ash
    u dont know me well enough to know that id never get rid of my TA it was a joke, my good friends had a good laugh

ps- yes cam/heads headers catback would be a good start *good enough for a DD deff, ull be pushin good hp numbers and still street legal/fast*... there are so many different set ups that u can use personally i could use suggestions as to which cam to go with myself!!! lol...

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdaddy07 View Post
    One more thing I think everyone should know when building up a car and never gets told. The more power you get the more hidden cost. i.e. too much power now you need a better clutch, better fuel pump, rear end may not last, get it to hook and you may break that factory drive shaft. I guess what I am saying is beware of getting too radical or prepare to go over budget. .580 to .590 lift and get the thing breathing right will make good power, a good driver and wont kill every other part in the car. Just telling you what I wish someone would have told me.
    sorry for the double post..
    i just wanted to add i think this is the most true statement or the best advice that ive seen on this site yet.. people dont realize the more power u add the more money u will be spending... deff good point.

Ratdaddy07
    thanks, I certainly don't know as much as a lot of guys on this sight but that one I learned from experience and I think some of the more knowledgable guys take it for granted that everyone should know it.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

heads/cam does NOT suck that much more fuel......15-16 for me when only driving city and ive gotten up to 27 on the highway......383 stroker.....its whne guys do 410s on top of head/cam there milage goes way down........all motor buddy...forget the turbo

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Don't go FI. You'll regret it in the long run. Throw a nice sized cam and some good heads on it. Put the rest of the cash into a True Dual exhaust. All that together will put lots of hair on your chest.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Why would he regret it, i've gone full bolt ons and cam, about to do heads next and i regret going that route. I would have preferred to go with a turbo charger, i love the sound of a turbo and they produce lots of torque. But you would have to lower your compression to run enough boost to be able to hear that thing scream.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Z28

If you could pull the labour I would say heads/cam from either TSP or Speed inc, some Kooks lt headers,3-inch Y, loud-mouth exhaust, a better clutch(LS7 kit), and a new rear-end (9-inch or 12bolt).

I would say turbo it but you probably wouldn't have enough money left for drivetrain upgrades needed for all that extra power.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post
    Don't go FI. You'll regret it in the long run. Throw a nice sized cam and some good heads on it. Put the rest of the cash into a True Dual exhaust. All that together will put lots of hair on your chest.
    Guess I dont understand what you'll regret in the long run.......I love mine.....now I dont think it's a motor that's going to get 200k miles on it but I've added that into the Price of playing......and while the car is reliable enough to drive every day it just isn't very practical.......it has now turned into a weekend warrior....

Throwing a "nice sized cam" in it will not make a good daily driver, which is what I thought he wanted.......

I think someone said it best earlier.....once you start throwing things in the motor then the drivetrain becomes the weak link.......drop $5K into the motor and then sooner or later the tranny will give, the cough.....cough.....7.5" rear that GM decided to put in our cars......it will be something......it always is when you start taking a car and tinkering with it......

If you really want to spend $5K then I'd say go with a nice head and cam package........I live in Panama City also......I can get you in touch with people that can help you out with tuning and such.......pm me and we can talk......hell I'll even show you my setup....
    Last edited by cailey37; 06-26-2007 at 02:12 PM.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

8.8" rear end ?????, i believe its 7.5" what gm should have done is used something like the 8.5" that came in the GN's i've launched the car at least 100+ times with hoosier quick time pro's without any problems.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    8.8" rear end ?????, i believe its 7.5" what gm should have done is used something like the 8.5" that came in the GN's i've launched the car at least 100+ times with hoosier quick time pro's without any problems.
    Think I had Fords on the brain.......lol.....

But the rears they put on the f-bodys are crap.......I kept breaking axles and finally decided to get rid of it.......They were made for v-6 cars at best...in fact they are basically the old Vega rears........ask anyone that has some power what they have in their cars.....most have canned the stock rear and gone with a 12-bolt or 9"...............that is of course unless you just like breaking the axles.......hell I still have a couple in my garage that I used to keep as spares........

Ratdaddy07
    Yeah I think I said it here before, the very day I drove home after getting 420 to the rear wheels I broke the rear-end and that was drag radials on the street.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Well that ain good i have a new pair of Nitto DR's sitting in my garage that i have yet to put on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information