98 Formula
    06 duramax

Oct. COTM BS thread.....

since there's so many pics in the other thread I'll start this one for you guys to vent in.
    There's a few really good pics this month and a few that were close to being great.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I think COTM should be just as much about the photo quality and location/background as the look of the car itself.

IMO a great quality pic of a freshly waxed car is ruined if the car appears to have a telephone pole/tree/road sign growing out of the roof/hood because of a badly positioned shot.

I looked at Oct. submissions, and while all of the cars look great, most of the photos leave alot to be desired in that aspect.

A good example of what I'm talking about is actually this month's COTM. Such a gorgeous Vette, and a great quality picture.....

...shot in a parking lot with a Ford Escape in the background and a telephone pole growing out the hood.

HORRIBLE pic of a gorgeous car.

IMO most parking lot and driveway pics shouldn't even be considered.

Just my .02.

People need to watch these thing a little better....take a few minutes and look at your surroundings. The car should be the man focus, not all the little distracting things around it.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I think COTM should be just as much about the photo quality and location/background as the look of the car itself.

IMO a great quality pic of a freshly waxed car is ruined if the car appears to have a telephone pole/tree/road sign growing out of the roof/hood because of a badly positioned shot.

I looked at Oct. submissions, and while all of the cars look great, most of the photos leave alot to be desired in that aspect.

A good example of what I'm talking about is actually this month's COTM. Such a gorgeous Vette, and a great quality picture.....

...shot in a parking lot with a Ford Escape in the background and a telephone pole growing out the hood.

HORRIBLE pic of a gorgeous car.

IMO most parking lot and driveway pics shouldn't even be considered.

Just my .02.

People need to watch these thing a little better....take a few minutes and look at your surroundings. The car should be the man focus, not all the little distracting things around it.
    I see where your coming from and would agree but in the end it is about the car, a good background is just a bonus.

1958 chevy pickup 283
    02 gmc z71 5.3L white

damn anytime a som car is entered, everyone else should just withdraw....

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula. View Post
    I see where your coming from and would agree but in the end it is about the car, a good background is just a bonus.
    I agree, but I can recall a few instances where the best car itself was beaten by a "lesser" car with a better picture.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, we've had this discussion a few times and my belief is people are going to vote however they're going to vote. I can't force people to vote for a certain aspect of a submission. It also takes more than 1 vote to win so typically the car that wins is the car the majority want. The reasons people vote for that car are their own.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula. View Post
    True, the car is a big part. But seriously... you take the time to detail your car, to submit for car of the month, where it will be on the main page of a website seen by thousands, and THEN possibly be part of a calendar...

...but can't take the extra few minutes to look at your photo location before shooting?

Just my .02.

Not saying I'm some great photographer or anything, but I know what I like, although maybe I'm a bit more picky than others.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

True, the car is a big part. But seriously... you take the time to detail your car, to submit for car of the month, where it will be on the main page of a website seen by thousands, and THEN possibly be part of a calendar...

...but can't take the extra few minutes to look at your photo location before shooting?

Just my .02.

Not saying I'm some great photographer or anything, but I know what I like, although maybe I'm a bit more picky than others.
    I agree with you and understand where you're coming from. At the same time I view the contest as a chance for someone that isn't a pro photographer or doesn't have thousands of dollars in photo equipment a chance to get their car out there and show it off. I almost root for the guys I see do this month to month that don't have the equipment or photo talent of some of the other guys. I would like to see some bone stock or close to it cars win. It's what this site is about and I'd really like to see some of those guys get a few minutes in the spot light. I do see your point though and choosing the correct location is probably just as important as any other aspect of the photo.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I will also add that the previous cotm winners have 7 days to get their pictures to me and if I don't have them some of those underdogs may get their day in the sun after all.

Old: 00 WS6, 02 Z06, 79TA
    11 F350 CC 6.7L

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I will also add that the previous cotm winners have 7 days to get their pictures to me and if I don't have them some of those underdogs may get their day in the sun after all.
    How are you going to pick fill-ins?

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Just my .02.

For sure, every time I have entered I have gone out of my way and went to a good location and cleaned my car right before.

Today its getting waxed and I already have a spot im going to head to, so far the best spot I have found that is like 50% of the battle.

1958 chevy pickup 283
    02 gmc z71 5.3L white

quick question... is any lsx powered car/truck able to enter???

2002 Trans Am WS6

The way I look at this is a photo contest rather than an online car show. You get to post one picture (unedited) and that one picture is what everyone is voting on. Not multiple pictures of the car to see which one is cleanest, or fastest or what ever. Just one basic "first impression" of the car...so color (go SOM!), appearence mods, tires and wheels, cleanliness, location, photo quality are all major factors and equally important factors IMO.
    2002 SUNSET ORANGE METALLIC WS6 #8497
    1996 ARTIC WHITE TRANS AM WS6
    1987 BRIGHT RED FORMULA 350
    1978 Trans Am SE

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I just think SOMEONE should vote for me lol

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jaslivers View Post
    quick question... is any lsx powered car/truck able to enter???
    yes

Thread Information