2 2.50%

0 0%

9 11.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June COTM Poll

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

June COTM Poll

Last edited by KahanaReef; 06-04-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Last edited by KahanaReef; 06-02-2011 at 10:30 PM.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

glad to see someone kept this going!!!
    Last edited by REVNORR82; 06-03-2011 at 02:43 AM. Reason: woops!!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Picture number 3 FTW!!!!

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Dang this was a hard one to pick

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

There are about 5 that I think are worthy... this will be a tough call

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Great cars!!!

But I think we really need to get an updated "How to photograph a Car" sticky in here.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Great cars!!!

But I think we really need to get an updated "How to photograph a Car" sticky in here.
    Write one up

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

voted for 4, good shot

2002 SOM Camaro SS SLP build #8670 Not Stock
    2007 SOM Cobalt SS Supercharged 2.7 pulley and more-SOLD
    2005 Evo VIII GSR SSL Boltons+272 Cam 26psi

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Write one up
    I will see what I can do.
    Been pretty freaking busy lately....

Quote Originally Posted by SSickLS1 View Post
    voted for 4, good shot
    Kinda my point.
    Great looking car....terrible shot. There are TWO poles growing out of the car. That would be Rule #1....trees (and the like) grow from the ground....not a car.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Great cars!!!

Having a focal point helps a lot (a specific feature or element in the photo that pulls the viewer's attention in). Usually it's something that contrasts with the majority of the rest of the photo. A headlight, a hood ornament, a decal, a wheel, etc.

Perspective plays a very significant role in the quality of the shot, as well. If the perspective is boring, then the content must be especially impressive or otherwise engaging/intriguing. For instance, photographing a car from a 90 degree angle with nothing but a cloudless sky in the background is kinda boring. But if the viewer looks closely, he will find a detailed reflection of city lights in the paint of the car. If the perspective in interesting, the content may be boring but the image will still be engaging. Look at some car ads or just check out any manufacturer's website. They make even the Corollas, Neons, Cobalts look interesting using an engaging perspective.

Lighting. This can be hard to control for outdoor shots. Gotta take opportunities as they randomly appear. Mr. Luos's photo is a good example of opportunism... and perspective.

Colors are important because they help direct the viewer's attention throughout the image. They are crucial to establishing a focal point (if image is black and white, the viewer relies on contrast to determine the focal point). In most cases, the car should be of contrasting color to the rest of the photo. However, if a particular PART of the car is meant to be the primary object of interest, it can be effective to subdue the rest of the car by allowing it to blend into the background. Note that a viewer will still recognize the car right away with no problem. It's just the contrast that will allow certain features to stand out more.

Motion can make a photo very interesting. However, a photograph of a car in motion will not always deliver a sense of movement or speed. On the other hand, even a photo of a parked car can suggest motion depending upon the perspective from which it is shot.

There's my $0.09 to get things started... Maybe someone with skill behind a camera can chime in on the specifics of photography techniques.

Most of an artist's skill is developed through experimentation and trial and error. Even in art school, you have to forge your own path to a masterpiece. Learned techniques just help you get there with a little less frustration and agony (but it's a good frustration and agony... a labor of love).
    Last edited by Naaman; 06-05-2011 at 07:43 AM.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

You guys need to remember this is for FUN. Not everyone has a big dollar camera or do semi professional photography, or is a hobbiest.

Tips to help are always a good thing and I'm all for that info. Mr Luos definately knows alot in that department. I have a tips list somewhere too that I use and look back at to refresh my memory.
    2001 WS6 TA Red. Stock, 6 spd, LS7 clutch, Catback, Harris Nitrous Kit, Custom Painted Flames, Wolfe 6 point rollbar.
    1998 TA Black. 408, t350, nitro daves plate w/dedicated fuel cell, mini tubbed, 30" dr's. 9.75 @136mph on a small shot. Fastest LSX in Alaska, Pump gas, never trailered street car.
    2007 TBSS. Silver, Factory Stock

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

What I am most concerned with, is having shots that are too tight to fit the calendar template.

But it's those that are not professional photographers that would benefit the most from a few helpful hints to get the best shots possible. It is for fun, but, it is also a contest.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    What I am most concerned with, is having shots that are too tight to fit the calendar template.

But it's those that are not professional photographers that would benefit the most from a few helpful hints to get the best shots possible. It is for fun, but, it is also a contest.
    True. Like I said before I'm all for tips and tricks. I do think that would be a great idea.
    But this is car of the month. Not pic of the month. There has been a few threads posted before about this contest being about the cars not the pics.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Without debating this too much....as it takes away from the point of the COTM....
    Most of the cars themselves are worthy. The picture is what sells me on voting for a particular vehicle.
    Even a lower cost point/shoot can take great pictures. Just gotta pay attention to background and lighting.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

My camera sucks, I suck as a photographer, but I don't give a crap either. Its an online contest and I know what my car is. I am not going to go out and buy some high dollar fancy smancy camera to try and get better pics. Someone said this contest is for fun, and it truly is, but yet some people go to great lengths to try and win by unethical tactics. Just try to do the best you can, if you don't win, enter again next month, simple as that.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    My camera sucks, I suck as a photographer, but I don't give a crap either. Its an online contest and I know what my car is. I am not going to go out and buy some high dollar fancy smancy camera to try and get better pics. Someone said this contest is for fun, and it truly is, but yet some people go to great lengths to try and win by unethical tactics. Just try to do the best you can, if you don't win, enter again next month, simple as that.
    I agree 1000 %... The COTM contest is meant to be fun. You're not trying to get into Hot Rod magazine here..

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Now lets get back to voting!

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

my 3MP camera on my phone hasnt let me down yet it doesnt necessarily take a great camera to take a great picture, its the other elements that all add up to something that is pleasing to the eye.
    Last edited by nichoLaS1; 06-06-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen WS6 View Post
    True. Like I said before I'm all for tips and tricks. I do think that would be a great idea.
    But this is car of the month. Not pic of the month. There has been a few threads posted before about this contest being about the cars not the pics.
    I think it's hard not to make it pic of the month, since that pic is going into the calendar. When it's hanging on my wall, I won't care what's under the hood as long as the picture looks nice.

Tips and tricks? Take 'em or leave 'em, although if we did have a tips and tricks sticky, I suppose people could submit their photos and receive critiques from members on the forum to help them to take a better picture, prior to entry into the contest.

Thread Information