Thread: Glad to be here

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Glad to be here

Hello,

Due to another driver's fault, I had my Thunderbird totalled and I happened to see a 1999 Z28, LS1,6 speed, for sale near my home. It has 66K miles, but was in a wreck and purchased by an insurance adjuster as a salvage, and he repaired it. I've looked it over closely and did not see anything of significance to be fixed. The man is nice enough to let me drive it for a few days and I am taking it to an auction arbitrator/mechanic friend of mine to check the emissions (NC has emissions standards for annual testing of 96+ models) and give it a thorough once-over.

The car runs great, no clutch slippage/jerking, smooth shifting, good firm, but not bumpy ride.

Only problems:

Headliner is loose (will replace)

Missing right fog light

Left turn signal inoperative (I'm sure it's just a bulb). Haven't checked it yet, just found out when I was driving and the indicator didn't blink, it just stayed lit on the instrument panel.

Driver's door and to a lesser extent the passenger's door, leaked in a high pressure car wash. The leak was where the side glass, windshield, and t-top meet. I suspect it is a weatherstripping flaw, but I would sure appreciate any suggestions from others who may know if this is common on these cars. It has been sitting outside and we had some significant storms lately and it did NOT leak then, so maybe the angle of the nozzle assisted in the leak (a couple of ounces driver's side, just a few drops on the passenger side in the car wash).

My T-bird (4.6) had a few mods and got about 17 mpg city and up to 30mpg on a highway trip. Can I expect something close to 17mpg in the Z28, if I restrain my right foot?

The car is hugger orange with white stripes, chrome wheels/good tires (16). The clear coat is coming off in a few spots, but I have already determined that with a little diligence I can get rid of most of that and minimize the effects. No dents, just a few rock chips, etc. Overall, it is a nice-looking car, with all the interior leather, carpet, buttons in great shape. It was a smoker's car though- apparently, by looking at the lighter and ash tray. No smell though. Just that bad headliner (it does not leak around the t-tops, BTW).

The car will be less than $7000, still haggling a bit. I think this is going to be a good value if it gets decent mileage. The salvage doesn't bother me. I did the same thing with the T-bird which will be sold

I would certainly appreciate any advice/warnings you could give me. I still have to discuss the previous damage with the owner, but I want to look at it first

I hope to join the Z28 ranks soon,

John
    Last edited by jad628; 04-28-2006 at 04:53 AM.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Let me try the pics again
    Last edited by jad628; 09-27-2006 at 03:40 AM.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I love that color and welcome aboard.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

This was/is the T-bird, prior to the wreck. Needs a new bumper, right fender, header panel, some hood work.

It ran good, but the Z28 is definitely faster. I had another engine and tranny I had purchased from a NC SHP car that I was going to work up with PI heads, different TB, injectors, headers, exhaust, etc., and eventually an Allen supercharger, but all that would only get about 375hp at the flywheel. It would also cost about $7000 to do it, and on a 121K car to boot. The LSI Z28 seems like the way to go to me. All the go for a lot less dough. I only plan a few bolt-ons for the Camaro like an airbox lid, etc. It already has aftermarket exhaust.

Does that sound reasonable for you folks who can even consider FORDS?

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by John Dixon
    My T-bird (4.6) had a few mods and got about 17 mpg city and up to 30mpg on a highway trip. Can I expect something close to 17mpg in the Z28, if I restrain my right foot?
    My auto/3.23 WS6 gets (on average) 20mpg per tank. Depending on how much highway and how much throttle I give it, I've seen it as low as 18mpg and as high as 24mpg or so.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
    My auto/3.23 WS6 gets (on average) 20mpg per tank. Depending on how much highway and how much throttle I give it, I've seen it as low as 18mpg and as high as 24mpg or so.
    Thanks for the info. It is the only real sticking point in the deal. He's letting me drive it for a few days and I am doing nothing but my standard driving which is about 65% highway for workdays ( 0630 in the morning and 1530 in the afternoon so there are usually no real snags). Everything else should be a fairly easy fix. The emissions SHOULD be okay, and I am buying it knowing that some paint work will eventually have to take place.

It will be a daily driver. I'm hoping that a change from a black car to a "here I am don't hit me" color like the Z28 will keep me from having another wreck!!! Two (almost) in one month where the other driver didn't see me going straight and turn/merge into my lane. "Scares" are numerous. I mean, I know some people can't drive but .....geez.

Thanks a lot for your time. It is appreciated.

John
    Last edited by jad628; 04-28-2006 at 05:20 AM.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Well, it's official. I bought it yesterday.

On the rack, it only looks like a high-pressure hose on the power steering pump and the pinion seal on the diff. need replacing. Gonna replace the belts too. The Monsoon front left speaker is rattling (blown I think), aren't they 2ohms? Need a replacement for that, the headliner is toast, the passenger seat belt retainer on the top seat is broken, and a few screws are missing here and there. Not anything of real significance to do to get it up to 100% mechanical, and then I'll start trying to clean up the clear coat. This weekend, I found out that my nephew is dating a girl whose father's family owns several businesses that specialize in Camaros and F-bodies. Am I lucky or what?!

For ALSOWA, here's the stripes on the back.

I look forward to getting a lot of good info and conversation on this site.

John

1966 Corvette Coupe

nice one man... hope you enjoy it... and welcome to the world of the ls1...

Welcome aboard.

99FRC,00TA,98Formula
    91Firebird,88FieroGT

welcome to the forum!

Red
    2002 Chevrolet

nice ride man

Thread Information