Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

an FYI for COTM people......

This is a discussion on an FYI for COTM people...... within the Member's Rides forums, part of the Off - Topic / Discussion forums category; Originally Posted by SandmanWs7 Llike this young guy here. VERY clean Camaro, with a nice background it would be a ...

Red
    02 SS camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanWs7 View Post
    Llike this young guy here. VERY clean Camaro, with a nice background it would be a good car for COTM. HE SHOULD NOT be scared away from posting in the COTM cause its stock.
    well thanks for the advice lol im going to go look for some places and try to get some good shots.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I ( along with others) feel that we're getting a lot of repeat winners year after year. This has nothing to do with Luos so Luos don't take this personally.....there are 3-4 people that have won almost every year. That's not what the contest is about as much as it is for everyone on the board. The repeat guys have awesome cars and there's a reason they win every year....because people vote the cars in and they have great cars.
    That being said I want to try and let more people have that feeling of winning. Starting next year I'm gonna implement a different rule as far as how often you're allowed to win. I haven't settled on a time yet so if people have any input on it then here's your place and chance to do so. I was thinking like once every 3 or 5 years. I think that would open the contest up to a lot of different cars. Thoughts....ideas???
    Finally. No offense anyone, all you that have won multiple times all have great cars and pics.
    But I've commented and pushed for this last year also. It'll be nice to see different cars and different pics win. I have a new camera now so I can't wait for this snow to melt to try it out.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    noted....and I dont' necessarily disagree with you. I also think that others have put the time in too and maybe their car isn't magazine quality but they still deserve the chance for recognition. Lets say you throw those repeat guys out of there every year....that still leaves a ton of nice looking pictures and guys that have put time into their cars. Look at this months contest alone and tell me how many nice cars there were.......a bunch. I'm not arguing with you..... I just want to see more people get the recognition and I believe any of the past winners will tell you that getting a thread every month and a spot in the calendar is pretty dang cool. Why not spread that around to other people?
    I spend a ton of time keeping my bird clean and looking nice. It's more show then go. I have also taken some pretty good pics and even gotten my car into PHR's photo contest winners twice and I get nothing here. That's actually why I quit sending a pic in for this contest. Since I had no chance in hell of winning. With my car being stock height and custom paint. up here in Alaska you either learn to be good at everything on a car, done by ones self or you'll get ripped of and a hack job. So I do all my own paint, and wrenching on my car. Yes that makes my car just as worthy as everyone elses.
    Last edited by Frozen WS6; 04-06-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    No life stories, just a lil bit of info on the car. Something unique about the car. That doesn't have to turn into a novel. Stock cars should not be excluded either or afraid of entering. COTM is not going to turn into a pissing contest of who has the most mods.
    Agree here, don't feel mods should be listed, parts under your hood .
    As said before, some people just don't take the time to display their car. A very clean car in your driveway isn't going to look as good as another put under a unique setting, its just common sense. Not saying either car is better but if i want a COTM calendar, i want the picture to look good, the car looking good alone doesn't cut it.

People should also take into consideration how a picture makes their car look. For example the car at stock height looks good, but not so much when the picture is taken down low to the ground. just food for thought.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Instead of car info or mod list. How about details of your pic. Like what camera did you use, location, and maybe a short why you chose that pic. Or something along those lines.

Red
    2001 ws6

ehh....who cares what camera but i like the idea of the location thing....like....this is at such and such a place, i kinda like that

2002 Trans Am WS6

The fact is repeat winners win for MORE than just one reason alone...an awsome car with a shitty pic wont cut it anymore than an incredible pic of a not so special car. I would think the COTM and COTY would highlight the BEST of the BEST on LS1.com. In fact the COTM thing and the way it is handled is one of the things I think this board has going for it above the others....why mess with it??? If you want to put specs and stories with the cars thats great...do you think that would change the results? Look at the COTM threads from a lot of the "non-repeat" winners...most are not very impressive (Orion couldnt even get a story from the last "winner" once he won!) I can understand the once a year rule for sure (one month per calander) but I don't think its right to exclude the better COTM canidates from entering every year just because they win. What entry that hasn't been COTM deserves it more than say Mr Luos's car....awsome car, awsome pics??? Why take the better entries out of the running so the less deserving entries can win...I am sorry but this isnt T-Ball where everybody gets to bat.

But thats just my opinion and I guess I am a little biased....
    Last edited by 97ramsst; 04-09-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 97ramsst View Post
    But thats just my opinion and I guess I am a little biased....
    maybe a little

but i agree, once per year. I think its perfect the way it is.

Maybe there should be a second cotm using only disposable cameras, that would make it even

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I understand it gets old seeing the same cars win every year but they do win multiple times for a reason. If you don't like losing try harder. Take better pictures, find a cool background,do appearance mods etc. I do however like the idea of listing mods(appearance and performance), the location and maybe what wax/polish they used.

Red
    '72 Chevy C10 SWB

+1 on adding location. And I don't think we should change it. If someone is beat out one month, try to improve on your pics and resubmit the next month. The repeat winners have great cars AND have taken some great pics. they had to build up to that point just like anyone else would have to.
    Not everyone has a nice camera, so try to get together with someone who does, then give them some credit for helping out. There are two winners in this year's calendar that were shot with the same camera, I believe on the same day at the same location (Y2K and Z28Thunder). I would like to see a variety, but I'd much rather see great shots.

We should get a sticky on photo shoots. MAybe have members post up their tips and tricks on positioning, lighting, time of day, location, etc., then compile them into one how-to?? Maybe this already exists somewhere??

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLS1 View Post
    +1 on adding location. And I don't think we should change it. If someone is beat out one month, try to improve on your pics and resubmit the next month. The repeat winners have great cars AND have taken some great pics. they had to build up to that point just like anyone else would have to.
    Not everyone has a nice camera, so try to get together with someone who does, then give them some credit for helping out. There are two winners in this year's calendar that were shot with the same camera, I believe on the same day at the same location (Y2K and Z28Thunder). I would like to see a variety, but I'd much rather see great shots.

We should get a sticky on photo shoots. MAybe have members post up their tips and tricks on positioning, lighting, time of day, location, etc., then compile them into one how-to?? Maybe this already exists somewhere??
    I agree with you. Everyone and especially people taking those kick a__ pics do need a place to give or show ideas, advice. Like post a pic and tell how you got it, (settings, ect.)

Seeing pics like Mr.Luos gives me ideas and pushes me to try for better pics. For the record even my 5 megapixle camera can take some really good shots. I just had to try the manual settings to get them. Also my pics are as taken since I don't have photoshop to clean them up or adjust them.
    Last edited by Frozen WS6; 04-11-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

My camera is a 6.3 megapixel camera.

Some of my older pics are taken on a 2.1MP camera. It can be done.
    Hopefully it is okay to link this...
    http://www.cheapshooter.com/2007/08/...r-to-discover/

And this...
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/multim...walk-thru.html
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/multim...-pictures.html

I know...I know....Tech links. But they are good if you are looking to improve your pictures.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLS1 View Post

The picture I actually won with was shot with my 4 megapixel camera and I suck at taking pictures. The picture I used for the calendar was a much better picture taken with Z28Thunders high dollar camera. I chose to use the picture Z28Thunder took in the calendar because it was just a better picture. It was never entered into voting though. Also, I have won once, not a multiple time winner, so please don't throw me into that category of non-variety.

black
    02 ws6

nvm, should have read past posts before posting
    Last edited by BLAUPLOW; 04-11-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information