Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

an FYI for COTM people......

This is a discussion on an FYI for COTM people...... within the Member's Rides forums, part of the Off - Topic / Discussion forums category; I ( along with others) feel that we're getting a lot of repeat winners year after year. This has nothing ...

  1. #1
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    an FYI for COTM people......

    I ( along with others) feel that we're getting a lot of repeat winners year after year. This has nothing to do with Luos so Luos don't take this personally.....there are 3-4 people that have won almost every year. That's not what the contest is about as much as it is for everyone on the board. The repeat guys have awesome cars and there's a reason they win every year....because people vote the cars in and they have great cars.
    That being said I want to try and let more people have that feeling of winning. Starting next year I'm gonna implement a different rule as far as how often you're allowed to win. I haven't settled on a time yet so if people have any input on it then here's your place and chance to do so. I was thinking like once every 3 or 5 years. I think that would open the contest up to a lot of different cars. Thoughts....ideas???

  2. #2
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    i dont think thats fair. I think the reason the same people are winning is because they take the time to get nice pictures for people to vote on. No offense to some people but some of the submissions ive seen for COTM have been embarrsing and people such as luos deserve the credit of winning every year because there the ones that take the time out to get such nice pics for us and keep their cars looking top notch

  3. #3
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    i dont think thats fair. I think the reason the same people are winning is because they take the time to get nice pictures for people to vote on. No offense to some people but some of the submissions ive seen for COTM have been embarrsing and people such as luos deserve the credit of winning every year because there the ones that take the time out to get such nice pics for us and keep their cars looking top notch
    noted....and I dont' necessarily disagree with you. I also think that others have put the time in too and maybe their car isn't magazine quality but they still deserve the chance for recognition. Lets say you throw those repeat guys out of there every year....that still leaves a ton of nice looking pictures and guys that have put time into their cars. Look at this months contest alone and tell me how many nice cars there were.......a bunch. I'm not arguing with you..... I just want to see more people get the recognition and I believe any of the past winners will tell you that getting a thread every month and a spot in the calendar is pretty dang cool. Why not spread that around to other people?
    Last edited by 0rion; 04-05-2010 at 06:46 PM.

  4. #4
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    I agree people who take the time to take great photos should not be penalized maybe just you can only win once a year if that isn't already in affect. I also saw the z28 guy won he just wasn't on the ball so it went to Luos.

  5. #5
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I agree people who take the time to take great photos should not be penalized maybe just you can only win once a year if that isn't already in affect. I also saw the z28 guy won he just wasn't on the ball so it went to Luos.
    it's once a year now and I want to keep emphasizing that it's not to penalize the repeat guys....if anything it's a compliment. I just want others to have the opportunity for the recognition and when you have 3 or 4 of the 11 spots taken already that doesn't leave a lot when you factor in the number of entries we have every year. We have a bunch of quality pictures every month. It has to also get kinda old for the people that win all the time. I think it would even be better for those guys in the long run if it were a little more rare for them to win.

  6. #6
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    maybe have the top 2 every month win? keep the contest the same, but one person will be on the page from the 1st-15th and the other from the 16th-31st? instead of 12 winning theres now 24.......

  7. #7
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Why not have a picture of the month contest with no rule for repeating as winner and also have a COTM contest with stipulations about how often you can win. COTM to me, is about the car, not the picture.

  8. #8
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    maybe have the top 2 every month win? keep the contest the same, but one person will be on the page from the 1st-15th and the other from the 16th-31st? instead of 12 winning theres now 24.......
    Nice idea, but good luck making a calendar out of that.

  9. #9
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Why not have a picture of the month contest with no rule for repeating as winner and also have a COTM contest with stipulations about how often you can win. COTM to me, is about the car, not the picture.
    you volunteering to run that one???

  10. #10
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you volunteering to run that one???
    Sure, I could handle it, you handle COTM, should alleviate a lot of problems.

  11. #11
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    The last thing y2k needs is more power

  12. #12
    Junior Member lookngoodSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    dayton
    Posts
    28

    Red
    02 SS camaro

    but i dont want to look at COTM and see the same cars every year? i agree with the mod. sorry guys

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    After viewing over a year's worth of COTM, I agree that it is tough to compete with some of the photographs -- not necessarily the cars. A lot of times, the background and effects/filters utilized in some of the pics just make the car stand out so much more than the competition.

    I think those that submit simply need to put their best foot forward and take the time to set up a nice shot of their car. Snapping a quick pic in the driveway with the house in the background just can't measure up. I realize the car is supposed to be the focus of COTM, but that's not how the eye works.

    Simple things like how the car is framed, the angle of the shot, the direction the front wheels are turned, the break line in the reflection, and such can really make the picture. On this basis, I think it would be great if someone would put together a "Tips and tricks to photographing your car" thread so we can sticky it for all to use. Example pics could also be included to demonstrate what makes a picture good and what makes it bad.

  14. #14
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Simple things like how the car is framed, the angle of the shot, the direction the front wheels are turned, the break line in the reflection, and such can really make the picture. On this basis, I think it would be great if someone would put together a "Tips and tricks to photographing your car" thread so we can sticky it for all to use. Example pics could also be included to demonstrate what makes a picture good and what makes it bad.
    I agree with Jeff about someone who is better than average with picture taking make a sticky. I hope you assume that not everyone has a DSLR camera with fancy stuff. But im sure with a "normal" digital camera and some better direction others could stack up to the quality of others.

  15. #15
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    COTM to me, is about the car, not the picture.
    but when your voting for COTM you arent voting for the story because you dont know it yet, so people vote based on the picture

  16. #16
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Nice idea, but good luck making a calendar out of that.
    y? just split the page in half, 2 cars per page?

  17. #17
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    yo, so i assume that the cotm has to have Ls engine?

  18. #18
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    I agree Orion. I don't necessarily think it should be 3-5 years though. That seems like a long period of time to me. Maybe every other year?

    I also agree with our NY rep here about the quality of some of the photographs being entered. If you want your car to even have a chance in hell to be even considered, at least take a picture that is CLEAR. It doesn't take a novice or high-end SLR camera to get a clear picture.

    As far as a sticky for tips and tricks to photography, I think that's a good idea.

    Lastly, it does seem to me that the background does play a lot into this COTM competition. I mean it is called CAR of the month. Not all of us live in the mountains and by lakes to where we can drive our cars a few miles and get a glamor shot with a kick ass background. With that being said, at the same time I think a house or drive way with a wash bucket in the background isn't the best either.

  19. #19
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    y? just split the page in half, 2 cars per page?
    I really don't see that happening.

  20. #20
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    but when your voting for COTM you arent voting for the story because you dont know it yet, so people vote based on the picture

    Picture of the month, contest for the best picture.


    COTM could be revised a little to include a short story prior to voting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Corvette People -VS- Camaro People
    By BigFrog in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 03:11 AM
  2. Why do black people have more kids then white people?
    By MarylandMan23 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 11:23 PM
  3. people to people loans. bwaahaha
    By Modulistic in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 09:43 AM
  4. Old people hate young people
    By myk02k in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-14-2006, 06:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •