Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

car of the month discussion

I read the replies in the other thread but want to keep it pics only so it's easier on the eyes to look at so you don't have to scroll through so many posts.
    There were a couple of reasons I wanted to do 1 a month. First, I kinda want it to be a big deal and showcase 1 persons car for that month. The second is the rides section really doesn't get a ton of traffic so after a few months I could see people start having to be repeat winners. I would really like to do 1 per month and you can only win once a year so that more people get to showcase their car. Like I said in the other thread. This set up will probably change more than a few times but I just wanted to get something started now and learn as I go.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Sorry I didn't read the other post more thoroughly. I think its a great idea Orion

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I hope to have fun with it and more importantly let people have fun doing it and show off their car. I'm gonna think on different ideas. I'd really like to make it as big a deal as possible. I'd like to see a car mag type of deal. 99% of the people out there will never make it into a car mag most likely ( myself included) so this is their chance to have their car and cars story showcased. On the story to go along with it I'm gonna suggest as much detail as possilbe. Everyone has a story about how they got their car and the mods that are done to it. I think it would be interesting to see that on the site.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

so, is there a way in your other thread then to include, lets say, at a minimum (or whatever you feel is necessary) for a COTM submission. such as but maybe not limited to:

Year/Make/Model
    how you aquired the car
    # of years owned
    current milage
    Mods if any done to the car
    list any track times
    (1) Money shot pic

**maybe 3-4 pics for submission of shots to show like a front 3/4 view front shot, engine bay, rear of the car, and if they can the underneath is showing possible suspension mods or how clean the underside of the car is, since you would like for it to be like a magazine spread...**

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Maybe we could get Ed to highlight the members user name, possibly with a different color to acknowledge the fact they are COTM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

My plan was to keep the submission page just a single picture but if other people think more than one would be better I would think about that.

First think about my reasoning behind just one pic on the submission page. In the rides section you can post your car up with all that info at anytime. That page is just to pick the COTM so I wanted it to be just 1 pic because out of all the pics of my car it would be tough to pick the one best picture I have. That's part of the fun of it I think. Picking out the one picture that'll win you COTM. Then the winner will be able to put all the info on the car, as many pictures as they like, video links, and things like that which will get stickied for the month.
    I would have to think on letting different makes enter the contest. This is an LS1 site so part of me wants to make it an LS1 contest only but we have a ton of active members on the site that drive vehicles other than LS1's and at some point grey areas start to develope. I mean LS1 only means no TPI cars, no LS2's, which lets in 04 GTO's but keeps 05-06 out, and no other makes. We have some ford's (zapfool comes to mind) on here that are pretty sharp looking and a nice srt neon. Both of which are active and productive members of the site.I would have to ask Ed and the other mods and get their input on what limitations there should be.

Y2k, I really like that idea. I'll talk to Ed about doing that.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    My plan was to keep the submission page just a single picture but if other people think more than one would be better I would think about that.

First think about my reasoning behind just one pic on the submission page. In the rides section you can post your car up with all that info at anytime. That page is just to pick the COTM so I wanted it to be just 1 pic because out of all the pics of my car it would be tough to pick the one best picture I have. That's part of the fun of it I think. Picking out the one picture that'll win you COTM. Then the winner will be able to put all the info on the car, as many pictures as they like, video links, and things like that which will get stickied for the month.
    I would have to think on letting different makes enter the contest. This is an LS1 site so part of me wants to make it an LS1 contest only but we have a ton of active members on the site that drive vehicles other than LS1's and at some point grey areas start to develope. I mean LS1 only means no TPI cars, no LS2's, which lets in 04 GTO's but keeps 05-06 out, and no other makes. We have some ford's (zapfool comes to mind) on here that are pretty sharp looking and a nice srt neon. Both of which are active and productive members of the site.I would have to ask Ed and the other mods and get their input on what limitations there should be.

Y2k, I really like that idea. I'll talk to Ed about doing that.
    I know Ed will already know this, but it would be fairly simple to create a new user group for COTM winners and whoever was the current COTM would be classified that way. Their user title could say COTM and their name could be highlighted in Red maybe since we don't use red for any other designation currently.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I love this idea.

I admin another board and head up the ROTM (Ride of the Month) there. I wish I could do more for each month's winner.
    Then...once I get to the end of the year, I will do one large ride of the year.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Then...once I get to the end of the year, I will do one large ride of the year.
    That's kind of the idea I also have. Car of the year at the end of the year. I forsee this first year being a little shaky trying to find out what works best but I'll get it figured out. I have a few other ideas I'm gonna try to pull off too.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Orion, sounds like you are off and running on a very well thought out plan for COTH. i guess i will just try to get that great money shot and cross my fingers that i might be selected...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm gonna put some more thought into the selection process too. I want it to be as fair as possible while still letting everyone from the site participate. Having the mods pick the 3 cars to be voted on is the best I can come up with right now. I think they would be fair and would do a good job of picking the 3 contenders and staying unbiased.
    I decided to just start it in August and make the first cotm for the month of September so I'm not rushing through this.
    Here's the timeframe I'll put in the stickied post.

Submissions until August 12th
    Mods pick top 3 by August 15th
    member voting open until August 26th
    member page created and posted on Sept 1.
    Last edited by 0rion; 07-21-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Any LSX motor or Chevy shortblock should be eligible....
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Maybe next fall, take the RIDE of the Month winners, and make a calender.

The hard part is picking out the pic.

Also, post the specific rules in your 1st post in the Sticky

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I posted links in the Camaro and Firebird forums to the COTM thread. Hopefully that will help get some more submissions.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

It might also be a good idea if one of the better photographers on the site posted up some pointers on how to achieve better pics

98T/Aformula
    Taking my BA in photo right now, there is not to much to taking good pictures the key to taking a good pic is lighting, go out when the sun is about to set or rise, so I will prolly go out aroung 7pm and 9pm anytime between 8am and 6pm is a no no and your pics will not come out as good as you would like them to in in-direct sun light. Get creative, my first thought is playing with the shutter speed, how ? I plan on taking some night pics so allowing the shutter to stay open for a good 15 + sec and while its open drive my car tword the camera so it crates a bluring effect but you can still make out the car. I have a few more ideas that im tossing around but if anyone is stuck on how to take a good pic send me a PM I can give you some good pointers and I would love to help.

Very excited, Justin

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

One word.. TRIPOD! Took some photography classes myself in college.. good lighting and a steady camera. The rest is preference and luck.. lol. Sometimes the best pics are by complete accident.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Some other keys for a good shot vs a great shot

Not in your Driveway, the house and other cars detract from the car

your car only, not in a parking lot with a bunch of other ugly cars

unless you are going artistic, get the whole car in the shot, cutting off the front bumper or rear just makes it a poor shot

It is not wrong to post a pic someone else took.

I just have to search through my photo's some are good, some are great and so many suck!

98T/Aformula
    Quote Originally Posted by joerockhead View Post
    unless you are going artistic, get the whole car in the shot, cutting off the front bumper or rear just makes it a poor shot
    Another thing on that is never put the subject/car directly in the middle of the frame, even if its a good picture it will look very boring in most cases. I always use the rule of thirds when I shoot, and another way to capture a eye catching pic is view angles...Get down on the ground and shoot up at the car/worms eye view, or get up high and shoot down on the car/birds eye view...Eye level shots are usually boring due to the fact that is how everyone sees the car anyways...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Bump

Thread Information