Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bought a lemon......

This is a discussion on Bought a lemon...... within the Member's Rides forums, part of the Off - Topic / Discussion forums category; Originally Posted by str8poolbanger Strauss Automotive told me to replace the MAF due to it having the codes thown when ...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by str8poolbanger View Post
    Strauss Automotive told me to replace the MAF due to it having the codes thown when I kept stalling out for no reason, and choking out and not starting. Then after they replaced that, it left me dead on the road again, and then it was the ignition switch and the relay so that was replaced.

Im not to concerned about the window motor as I knew that was a common issue.

Although today Mike from Rapid called and again with some bad news, the transmission mounts just fell apart when he was under it, and the wires to the coil where coraded(sp) and needed to be replaced. Another 228 bucks today, but my car should be back in my hands and then I'm taking all the parts to the dealership to show them that their inspecting mechanic is a moron.
    jesus..maybe one day your car will stop surprising you and you can finally drive it at 100% health

Cardinal Red
    1999 Trans Am

WOOOHOOO..... Well Rapid Motor Sports called and the car is DONE! New rear main seal, new trans mounts, new wires, new headers, new ORY, new air lid, CATS removed.

There is an aftermarket shift kit installed, but the bozos who played with it before had the shift points so high the car literally bucked when shifting, so thats all back to stock (for now probally). Says car sounds great and runs great. Now just to take all the parts back to the dealership to show them how shitting their guys really are! Can't wait to get her back!!!!!!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

WOOOHOOO..... Well Rapid Motor Sports called and the car is DONE! New rear main seal, new trans mounts, new wires, new headers, new ORY, new air lid, CATS removed.

There is an aftermarket shift kit installed, but the bozos who played with it before had the shift points so high the car literally bucked when shifting, so thats all back to stock (for now probally). Says car sounds great and runs great. Now just to take all the parts back to the dealership to show them how shitting their guys really are! Can't wait to get her back!!!!!!
    congrats!!!

Cardinal Red
    1999 Trans Am

Man I can't wait to get the video of the exhaust up! This thing sounds like a freaking BEAST!! I CAN NOT THANK MIKE enough. If anyone is in Eastern PA, I HIGHLY recommend Mike from Rapid Motor Sports in Birdsboro, PA. He is a stand up guy and pulls NO SHIT about what does and doesn't need fixed!!!

THANKS MIKE.

Dave

Red
    1999 WS6

Thanks for the kind comments Dave. Glad I get her all fixed up for ya.

BLACK
    2002, CAMARO Z28

Sound like a bunch of crap all going at once. One word of advice learn to fix things yourself to save big bucks. 400 for a maf install .You can get a one for 150 + 5 mins to install it yourself.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

You really need to learn how to work on that car yourself, you wouldve saved a ton of cash.

Blk
    Z06 Corvette

your being ripped off by the auto repair guys
    you'll learn in short time like some of us
    that you need to repair your own car
    Better start studying and buying tools
    start with a basic wrench & rachet set
    then get a low profile jack and some 6ton jack stands

Von

Artic White
    1997 Camaro SS

Other then the brake line, dealers won't replace those other item unless they need to. Rear seal seapage is normal on just about any engine with some miles on it and doesn't need to be replaced. Now leakage with puddles on the ground is a different story, this need to repaired. Most repair shops will make the problem sound worst than it really is. This is why you need to learn how to do some of the repairs yourself or your going to lose alot of cash. Good luck with your new toy.
    Bethlehem PA here and will be at the GM Nats this year

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

A small Idea here... Maybe your mechanic is lining his pockets replacing all this stuff. If your just writing the checks he might try and see what he can get away with.

Cardinal Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    A small Idea here... Maybe your mechanic is lining his pockets replacing all this stuff. If your just writing the checks he might try and see what he can get away with.
    Although I'm a little new here, I belive my mechanic whom is a sponsor here is not lining his pockets. The car has NEVER ran like it runs now since the day I bought it.

But long story short, car is running great and Mikey did a GREAT JOB!!!

red

Cool man, now you will have an awesome car. Its good to find a guy like mike that does the work and your happy with it. I do most of mine because there is noone around here that will mess with the fourth gen.

Cardinal Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jeffs93z28 View Post
    Cool man, now you will have an awesome car. Its good to find a guy like mike that does the work and your happy with it. I do most of mine because there is noone around here that will mess with the fourth gen.
    Make that drive from WV to here, Mikey would work on it I'm sure. I personally have never been mechanically inclined. But give me a stereo or tv and I'm a genius. I own my own home theater installation business (lol) so when it comes to home audio/tv I'm a guru...Give me a car and a wrench and im just ra-tard.

2002 Trans Am WS6

the transmission mounts just fell apart when he was under it.

Hmmm...I have owned 21 F-bodies and never had that happen like that. Good thing he was under it at the time.

the wires to the coil where coraded(sp) and needed to be replaced.
    Are you talking about spark plug wires? What wires to THE coil (there are 8 coils BTW.)

Most people on here know these cars and will agree that some of those repairs sound a little fishy, but if your happy with a $400 MAF then its all good.

I'm taking all the parts to the dealership to show them that their inspecting mechanic is a moron.
    Then they will laugh like hell and ask you if you realized it was a $6K 12 year old car. These cars are money pits if you can't do even the basic repairs to it yourself. I hate to say it but you should have bought something with a warranty.
    2002 SUNSET ORANGE METALLIC WS6 #8497
    1996 ARTIC WHITE TRANS AM WS6
    1987 BRIGHT RED FORMULA 350
    1978 Trans Am SE

Red
    2001 ws6

400 for a MAF install???? wow......when my MAF went i bought a new one for $140 and installed it myself in 15 minutes........

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'm pretty sure he knows he got ripped off. Stating it over and over is about as usefull as his old bag of hammers mechanic.

To the OP glad you got her ironed out man. Enjoy!
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I'm pretty sure he knows he got ripped off. Stating it over and over is about as usefull as his old bag of hammers mechanic.

To the OP glad you got her ironed out man. Enjoy!

I am pretty sure he doesn't know it.....

Although I'm a little new here, I belive my mechanic whom is a sponsor here is not lining his pockets. The car has NEVER ran like it runs now since the day I bought it.

But long story short, car is running great and Mikey did a GREAT JOB!!!

Make that drive from WV to here, Mikey would work on it I'm sure.

Cardinal Red
    1999 Trans Am

I am aware that the "auto" store ripped me off for my parts and installations.

But with that said, Mike from Rapid Motor Sports (who is a sponsor here) is not a rip off artist or a joke of a mechanic. He fixed what needed to be fixed in order to make my car safe and reliable. He in no way has ripped me off for parts in any way.

As for the dealership, I didn't even go back to them with the parts. I realize I bought the car as is and thats the way it is.

I will eventually learn the little things on this car and move my way up.

red

I can work on most things on my car and have rebuilt many old 350's but have never been inside an LT1. I would try it but the hard thing is to get it out. When i decide to get the cam I dont know if I will do it myself or not but like I said noone around here wants to touch a 4th gen f-body. I do know enough mechanics to get me by though.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jeffs93z28 View Post
    I can work on most things on my car and have rebuilt many old 350's but have never been inside an LT1. I would try it but the hard thing is to get it out. When i decide to get the cam I dont know if I will do it myself or not but like I said noone around here wants to touch a 4th gen f-body. I do know enough mechanics to get me by though.
    Lt1 Is'nt much different than the old SBC just gotta remember the LT1 aluminum heads and has reverse cooling..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information