Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Pump

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Water Pump

So I'm pretty sure my water pump is going out on my 95 3.8. my mechanic wants $330 to fix it. Can i do it myself? i've got basic skills in working on cars, mostly my own stuff, I do all my own oil changes, ive serviced the rear diff. Just simple unbolt, drop the part, reverse procedure.

red
    2001 v6 camaro

it is easy as hell man. the pump is a two part, all you will replace is the top part that is held on by 6 or 7 bolts i believe. took me all of an hour to replace it my first time.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

sweet, anything special i should know? my mechanic mentioned needing to drop most accessories as well, P/S, A/C, maybe alternator

red
    2001 v6 camaro

Didnt have to take any other accessory off. I went from the top. removed the air intake (just for room), remove the belt, remove the water pump pulley, then the pump. its literally that simple. (aside from draining the coolant of course, speaking of this is a good time for a flush and refill of that.)

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I went and had it pressure tested, they said everything was looking ok to them, so im just gonna keep an eye on it

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

ok so yesterday i had puddle again, so i topped the radiator off, no more problems

today, no puddle, but once i cranked it, it started streaming pretty good, got underneath, i traced it up as high as i can, and from what i can see the leak id on the right side up the block, above and behind the A/C compressor

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    ok so yesterday i had puddle again, so i topped the radiator off, no more problems

today, no puddle, but once i cranked it, it started streaming pretty good, got underneath, i traced it up as high as i can, and from what i can see the leak id on the right side up the block, above and behind the A/C compressor
    heater hose?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by astyles View Post
    heater hose?
    thats kind of what i was thinking

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Im going to say its probably either leaking around the flow restrictor on the heater hose, or its the plastic elbows that go from the tensioner to the block.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

x2 on the elbow

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i will def check that out

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Im kinda scared though cuz Ive got 2 fairly lengthy road trips this weekend, ones 130 miles round trip, the other is about 240. knowin my luck somethings gonna blow while Im away from home. But its just a small leak, and it doesnt do it all the time. i have to replace maybe 2 cups a week. It should be ok till i get back

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    Im kinda scared though cuz Ive got 2 fairly lengthy road trips this weekend, ones 130 miles round trip, the other is about 240. knowin my luck somethings gonna blow while Im away from home. But its just a small leak, and it doesnt do it all the time. i have to replace maybe 2 cups a week. It should be ok till i get back
    Take some coolant and grab some of the same type of hose you think maybe leakin'. A few tools too that way if it pops you can pull over quick and fix it. (after it cools down some). Just tryin' to help. I even keep an extra serp belt in mine too.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

good idea

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Ok so i took it to the shop yesterday, they pressure tested it, he didnt say if it leaked or not, but i assume so cuz he said he had 3 guys looking and couldnt find the source.

But anyway, he thinks my intake gasket is leaking, and the only reall way to tell is to pull the alternator. he knows im broke so he showed me how, i went home and did it....theres oil around there, but no sign of a leak.

Later that night I went to see a friend, car got way hot. I normally get worried at 200, it was at 250. I was almost there so I ran redlights and parked it at her house till it cooled. Same thing on the way home, i could tell the thermo was cycling cuz it kept going back and forth between 210 and 240. itd creep up, then drop real quick.

Went out this morning, and the coolant was way low, to i drained the radiator. really funky stuff came out, I just kept water flowing in the top and the car idling until the fluid coming out the bottom was clear. It cycled a few times and got funky again, but im sure i got it all out. then i slowly worked in a gallon of dexcool.

Took it out for a spin, never got over 185, running like it used too, now i just gotta watch for leaks again.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Find a friend witha cooling system pressure tester and pop off that alternator. Look close where the intake and heads meet especially. The funk that came out was it nasty looking crap or a bit like a milk shake?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

It looked like mud at first, then was just brown fluid. Sounds weird but it smelled kind of like pecans?

Anyway, drove back home yesterday, about 60 miles, got a little warm on the way there, had to add some fluid, figured it was just replacing air, but coming back tonight it got rather warm, once i got here it was almost a gallon low.

I put a factory thermo in it, and remove that air bleed screw, ran it for awhile, adding water when it was low.

Im taking it to the shop tomorrow, and not getting back in it till they figure wtf is wrong

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

So im at my mechanics now, they dont like to disassemble stuff to find problems unless they think they know whats wrong. But I'm pissed off and told them to keep it till its fixed.

So they started pulling stuff off, and they think they found it, its the gasket between the intake and the top of the block..in the front corner where it meets the heads. Its about 5 hours labor, plus the gasket kit. So its gonna run my close to $500....FUUUU

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Ok so i finally got it figured out, intake manifold gasket. both of them, where the manifold connects to the block, and where the plenum connects to the manifold, i also need some connects. Took between 5 and 6 hours to swap, you gotta pull most of the stuff off the top of the motor, my mechanic charged me 4 hours of labor though. total with parts came out to $548...FML

Thread Information