Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Burnt Orange
    1996 Firebird

V6 suggestions??

Ok, just found out how much more insurance on a t/a would be as compared to the v6 and i think i am gonna stick with this car for a while. It is a v6 firebird, 1996 so kinda hard to get performance parts for it. I am looking to pull out a loan, not more than 3000 unless it is for a turbocharger. So does anyone have any legit ideas for the car. I am thinking headers for sure, anyone have any links or good suggestions for me? All help is welcome.

red
    2001 v6 camaro

just all depends on how crazy you want to go. Since its a 1996 its the 3.8. If it were me i would do the following:

Whisper lid with k&n (or some other cia) (100)
    GT2 or Abbott n/a cam w/ 105lb springs (600 for parts)
    FFF long tube headers (about 800 w/y-pipe)
    Abbott ported and polished intakes (300) or do it yourself and save
    Abbott racing heads (about 800 for the stage 1)
    Fuel pump and injectors (about 300)

that all brings you in under the 3k assuming you do all the installing yourself, and maybe shop around for some stuff used.

You can also peice together you own turbo kit for around 3000. This is assuming you make your own log manifolds and go from there.

Last option is to do the first list but forgo the heads (or slightly port and polish your own) and replace it with a nitrous kit. the 3800 loves the nitrous.

Head over to v6f-body.net and we can help you out.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

For what it's worth, I have two '99 NBM Camaro's, a z/28 and a 3.8. Believe it or not, the insurance for my z/28 is cheaper than it was for my 3.8.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
    For what it's worth, I have two '99 NBM Camaro's, a z/28 and a 3.8. Believe it or not, the insurance for my z/28 is cheaper than it was for my 3.8.
    how much? insurance is about the only thing stopping me from switching? i pay 85-90 a month for me 3.8

Black
    2000 Z-28

For 3k I'm sure you could find a decent LS1 and do an engine swap and keep your lower insurance rates.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by FreakV6 View Post
    just all depends on how crazy you want to go. Since its a 1996 its the 3.8. If it were me i would do the following:

Whisper lid with k&n (or some other cia) (100)
    GT2 or Abbott n/a cam w/ 105lb springs (600 for parts)
    FFF long tube headers (about 800 w/y-pipe)
    Abbott ported and polished intakes (300) or do it yourself and save
    Abbott racing heads (about 800 for the stage 1)
    Fuel pump and injectors (about 300)

that all brings you in under the 3k assuming you do all the installing yourself, and maybe shop around for some stuff used.

You can also peice together you own turbo kit for around 3000. This is assuming you make your own log manifolds and go from there.

Last option is to do the first list but forgo the heads (or slightly port and polish your own) and replace it with a nitrous kit. the 3800 loves the nitrous.

Head over to v6f-body.net and we can help you out.

oorrrrrrr just buy an LS1. just a thought

red
    2001 v6 camaro

damn i get so tired of hearing that. he didnt come in here and ask should he put an ls1 in it. i anwsered what he asked, it would be a quick ride as well.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

damn i get so tired of hearing that. he didnt come in here and ask should he put an ls1 in it. i anwsered what he asked, it would be a quick ride as well.
    Well i dont think you "HEARD" it. Maybe you caould say "i get so tired of READING that". Just a thought....

And i have nothing against the V-6's, but ya know what they say about polishing a turd? when your done its still a turd! I think what most people are trying to say is that by the time you spend all that money, your car may be faster than an LS1/6. Then you have to consider that your car will never be any faster, you have done everything possible (ie turbo, supercharger, N20) to "maybe" beat a V-8. I just dont like those odds. However if v-6's get you off, then stick with it. It's all about what you want.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Also just a question. What do you run in the 1/4? Just wondering, Thanks.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    how much? insurance is about the only thing stopping me from switching? i pay 85-90 a month for me 3.8
    I believe it's only $60 or so a month for my 99z, but that is just liability.

I'm also 28, and I know insurance drops after you turn 25.

Our monthly bill is $150. There are two cars on the plan, my car(99z), which has liability only, and then my girlfriends '04 Altima. Her Altima has full coverage.

Hope this helps.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    Well i dont think you "HEARD" it. Maybe you caould say "i get so tired of READING that". Just a thought....

And i have nothing against the V-6's, but ya know what they say about polishing a turd? when your done its still a turd! I think what most people are trying to say is that by the time you spend all that money, your car may be faster than an LS1/6. Then you have to consider that your car will never be any faster, you have done everything possible (ie turbo, supercharger, N20) to "maybe" beat a V-8. I just dont like those odds. However if v-6's get you off, then stick with it. It's all about what you want.
    I don't agree. On this very site there's a guy building a 500+hp 3.4L 60*v6 twin turbo. He's got some step by step photos posted. Look under "some insight to the 60*v6" thread. 500+hp v6 will probably do more than just "maybe" beat a v8! I do agree it's all about what you want though.
    I guess you'd have to weigh the over all cost of the two projects. Building a v6 is just something different and not seen everyday! Not to mention the weight difference too. I guessing he'd be saveing 200+ pounds or around that figure. Thats like kickin' out the fat girl before you run it! LOL

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I don't agree. On this very site there's a guy building a 500+hp 3.4L 60*v6 twin turbo. He's got some step by step photos posted. Look under "some insight to the 60*v6" thread. 500+hp v6 will probably do more than just "maybe" beat a v8! I do agree it's all about what you want though.
    I guess you'd have to weigh the over all cost of the two projects. Building a v6 is just something different and not seen everyday! Not to mention the weight difference too. I guessing he'd be saveing 200+ pounds or around that figure. Thats like kickin' out the fat girl before you run it! LOL
    Ok so here we are again. Lets think about it, The "guy" who is building this "500+hp v-6" is still building it. I have seen the posts and it has been a long time. who knows if it will ever be done. now let think about the fact that 500hp is not that much, your looking at a max of 450wrhp. Before my FAST 92/92, my GMMG no-cat back, and my SFC's i was making 397RWHP. now i prob right around 420WRHP. so im 30-40hp away from that v-6 with 450, and guess what im N/A. i have ported LS6 head and a 230/230 vodoo cam, lt's, ory,and a bunch of suspension crap. No turbos or superchargers. The point i was trying to make is that yes your V-6 can be fast and beat a V-8, but now that he has a turboed v-6 what else can he do? hes tapped out. ya maybe N20 but how stable would that really be? one last question, how many 1000+hp v-6's have you seen. there is a reason top fuel cars use v-8's

Now let me say this. This is in no way me trying to be an A$$, i am just trying to clarify my point. Thanks

red
    2001 v6 camaro

My 1/4th mile? a high 13 with intake, exhuast, shorty headers, cam and a tune. If you ask me thats not so bad with a v6.

Most of the time people choose the v6 just to be diffrent. Sure they could start out with a v8 like every other Tom dick and Harry. But instead they choose a lesser known platform to wipe the smirk off that v8 guys face. Their are plenty of 400+ hp v6 guys out there. And what do you mean he is tapped after the turbo. If its built right its as simple as turning up the boost. Sure your not going to usually reach the 700-1000hp number the v8's get but you sure have a nice high HP sleeper that will surprise a lot of people. Their are however some that have reached some crazy numbers...Tim King ran his twin turbo firebird to a best of 8.9xx in the quater.

If you take my setup change the shortys for longtubes and add a nice 100 shot of spray you got a nice v6 car that will put a hurting on a lot of unsuspecting v8s.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Stock LS1's run low 13's. No one's saying a v-6 can't be made fast and if that's your thing go for it. You're limiting what you can do compared to a v8 and as far as I'm concerned v-6's sound horrible. But that's just my opinion.

red
    2001 v6 camaro

Exactly, and everyone has their own opinion. As far as limiting what you can do, i disagree. With the right money you can do anything, just look at that 8.9xx quatermile v6 bird i mentioned, anything is possible.

Dont get me wrong here, ls1's are awesome and i would have one in a heartbeat if i got rid of my 6er. However what gripes me is someone jumping on a thread that asks how to get some power out of the 6 and someone chiming in "get an ls1". And then saying how there is no use in modding a v6. Its simply not true, you can get some nice numbers out of the 6er's.

Black
    2000 Z-28

All I'm saying is that for the same money vested into an LS1 you will be faster. That guy who's running 8.9x is certainly not the norm and he undoubtedly spent 10s of thousands of dollars. There's 4 cylinders that can run that as well, just not my cup of tea that's why I said whatever floats your boat.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Also you shouldn't be suprised people suggest LS1's on LS1.com....lol.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Smile

Exactly, and everyone has their own opinion. As far as limiting what you can do, i disagree. With the right money you can do anything, just look at that 8.9xx quatermile v6 bird i mentioned, anything is possible.

Dont get me wrong here, ls1's are awesome and i would have one in a heartbeat if i got rid of my 6er. However what gripes me is someone jumping on a thread that asks how to get some power out of the 6 and someone chiming in "get an ls1". And then saying how there is no use in modding a v6. Its simply not true, you can get some nice numbers out of the 6er's.
    But the thing is that the guy who asked the question about what to do is asking because of money. Sounds like he doesnt want to spend a whole lot. so yes you can make a v-6 very fast but how much do you want to spend? so he said that insurance was going to be to much. whhen i bought the car new at 18 (and yes i paid for it with out the help of my parents, except for free rent....) i was paying 2k a year for full coverage. thats not to bad. so now let think about that 3k he wants to spend, i noticed you gave him a nice list of mods. what is that going to do for him speed/power wise? his insurance would go up that much, it would prob take two years of driving an LS1 car to eat that 3k up in insurance money. By tapped out i meant that you cant do anything else, ya u can turn the boost up but how reliable will it be as far as a DD? mine is now is prob a little over 400rwhp and i drive it every day no problem. Or like someone else mentioned just take that 3k and get an LS6 (motor only) and do a swap. then you can keep your same insurance cost. HOWEVER, if what the thread starter wants is a v-6, then i suggest he go with the mods you listed as they sound to be the best bet...................
    Last edited by Dr.Crash; 02-26-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post

red
    2001 v6 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    ls1 site, in the v6 section though.

I agree with 3k you can make the ls1 alot quicker, but you need to think about the intital price of the car too. you looking at at least another 3k in cost to start out with an ls1, and even more if you want a decent car to start with. As for the ls6 swap, 3k wouldnt even begin to touch it. not only do you need the motor and tranny, but you need the k member, wiring harness, pcm, gauge cluster and a lot more. As for what the list i gave him will do for speed/power? If he goes the bolt on, cam, nitrous route he can have a 12 sec car with the right tuning and shot. With a home built turbo kit i have a friend that is currently deep into the 12's on 18 lbs. (completly stock bottom internals, only headers and fuel upgrades).

Im not trying to argue, all i was saying is the guy asked what he could do with 3k to his v6. As i said earlier i will be the first to say that the ls1 is the superior platform, however not everyone goes that direction. i guess in the end we can all agree as long as its a f-body thats all that matters.

Thread Information