Thread: v6 ?s

bright red
    1998 formula

v6 ?s

My brother in law pick up a 98 camero rs v6 with 77.000 miles on it he wants to know what exhaust & air intake that gives him the most performance.I know if you don't pick the right exhaust on a v6 it sounds like crap.if any one knows any free mods that will help performance drop in & reply.

thank you carfreak

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Just drop in an LS1 and be done with it.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

You can do the free ram air mod...google LS1 ram air mod "works on the v6 too" and you'll find it. Other than that, that's really all you can do with the exception of new plugs and wires which gives you very minimum gains...you could add a good lid as well, but your still only looking at like 10 added HP if that. SLP lid will fit it...the V6's have the same stock lid as an LS1.

Flowmasters are the only exhaust that sound even remotely ok but once you get over 2500rpms everybody around the car will know it's a v6 because it gets really raspy and high pitched really quick. Doesn't sound like a honda, but doesn't sound like a v8 either.

I used to own a v6 back in the day so feel free to ask any questions you have. I know them from front to back...

My 3800 used to give 4.6 liters a scare lol was a lot of fun to watch them freak out when I could keep up with them...they are good fun cars, just not as fun as the LS1's.

Almost forgot because this always comes up...no, the supercharger from the Pontiac Grand Prix's 3800 will not fit without some work...
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 10-21-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Nice...............

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    not helpful to the OP's question.....

OP -

TS&P has some cat backs & ORY that fit V6's form both Hooker & Magnaflow, personally I would go with Magnaflow (it's what I had on my 96 FB).

I also had Pacesetter Headers, Summit sells them.

Free air mod like will stated works as well. Can't remember if the SLP air lid will fit on the V6 air lid tray but you might want to look at it. I've also seen ppl fit a single cone and fab up a brace for the radiator.

If you start having misfire's, blown plug wires, runs like crap, etc - you need to start looking at the coil pack base plate that the coil packs sit on. Every 70,000 miles it should be switched out. That damn piece cause a yr of trouble shooting the problem before GM finally put out a TSB on it.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    My 3800 used to give 4.6 liters a scare lol was a lot of fun to watch them freak out when I could keep up with them...they are good fun cars, just not as fun as the LS1's.

I won a lot of "gas money" with mine. So many pissed off Mustang owners at Ft Hood

I miss mine, she was a good car. Only reason I traded it in was because we needed a new car that could handle the baby seat, etc with a new born.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Those 3800-II motors will last indefinitely. I had a 1996 3.8L Camaro as my first Camaro and bought it with only 21,000 miles on it in 1999. After owning the car for over a decade, I finally departed with it and she had 209,XXX miles on her. Still ran good with little to no maintenance over that time frame.

I had a Flowmaster exhaust with 3" tailpipes and stock manifolds. Sounded pretty decent for a V6 until you got high up into the RPM range.

If you're considering wheels at some point, I really liked the Eagle G077's. Not sure if they still make them, but it made the car look really sharp.

Navy Blue Metallic

Here was mine

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

This is the only picture I have of mine. She was a great car.

Navy Blue Metallic

Those 3800's love turbos too..

Thread Information