Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V6 Potential?

Red
    1997 RS Camaro

V6 Potential?

My question is if a V6 has any potential, or if it should be left stock and i should just put away for a new camaro in several years.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

need to put a lot of money into a v-6 to make it hang with a v-8. Up to you but superchargeing, turbochargeing or nitrous is always an option.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

diffently has potential....depends if you like the extra space between the motor and side walls of the engine compartment..lol...and how much you like the sleeper look

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

swap a gnx motor in their then it will be fast lol

Red
    1997 RS Camaro

ive bene thinking about investing in a new motor, but what would fit in. people have recommended a zz383, but would it be best to find someone parting out a z28 or a ss?

black
    2002 WS6

power for power numbers the LS1 will hands down, there is no doubt, but as a learner motor I would suggest the V6, if I am not mistaken they are semi realated to the orginal small block and do have perfirmance parts available through GM High Perforance. Also if you blow it up you won't be out the larger money that replacing and or fixing a LS1 could be. Its up to you really, but as a starter get a 6 they are cheap and plentyfull.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by slowgtp View Post
    3800 has potential SC or turbo but I wouldn't waste money on a 3.4 or NA 3.8.
    I would have to agree, the 3.8 with a power adder has alot of potential. If your willing to put in the time and money. Although the cheapest way out is to find a Ls1 and go from there.
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have just "tweaked" a 97 Camaro V6's for a local kid. They really respond well to a couple of cost efficient mods. His Dad asked I do some "work" on it for his sons birthday and he is a good kid. So we studied up and had a budget of $900 bucks.....
    Any internal combustion engine will respond to extra air...so that was the first place I went......got this for $300.....
    http://www.planetmagnaflow.com/shop/...-15694-13.html
    I don't remember where we got it....kid Googled a bunch and bought this exact exhaust from somewhere ...I dunno....bolted right on no problems.....2ndly we got some air in....He bought a KN CAI for like $225.....No chips or hand held programmers...I flushed the engine with Amsoil Engine Flush and changed all the fluids....rear end was like molasses...I suspect it was the original fluid.....popped the pancake and used brake cleaner to clean the gears.....Trannie fluid and filter....and of course engine oil and filter....all amsoil front to back.....We went ahead and flushed and filled the coolant also......We came in under $900 bucks and kid just is having a blast....really woke that V6 up...car runs like silk and he kills ricers in town now.....so it can be done pretty cheap and you can have a nice little V6 that actually runs strong.....

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

The 200HP 3.8 V6 is pretty decent, but I wouldn't throw a ton of money at it. I think a CAI, headers, cut-out and a 100HP dry-shot would be fun and pretty cheap. Car would look/act stock until you activate the cut-out and nitrous...
    2000 Z28 382/nitrous...sold and missed.
    2004 Z06 CE Z16...still looks stock.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

also, with the 3.8 liters you have plenty of torque compared to ricers or european cars with comparable horsepower plus a wide powerband.
    i've driven that engine in different cars and really liked it.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

spray it

98 Formula
    06 duramax

moving to the v6 section

CO Fastest V6 FBody Teufel Hunden's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Camaro

Tons of potential.

Mine has 469rwhp, and 586rwtq. GT40R Turbo @ 17.5psi, w/ methanol injection. Completely stock internal engine.. right down to the stock valve cover gaskets.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden View Post
    Tons of potential.

Mine has 469rwhp, and 586rwtq. GT40R Turbo @ 17.5psi, w/ methanol injection. Completely stock internal engine.. right down to the stock valve cover gaskets.
    Are you serious?? The stock bottom end of the 3800 can take 17.5 PSI and 469WHP?? Thats damn impressive, especially because they don't come with a forged bottom end as far as I know.

I just bought a Grand Prix GTP with the 3800 Series II Supercharged, never thought the engine had the ability to hold that kind of power on stock internals.

CO Fastest V6 FBody Teufel Hunden's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Are you serious?? The stock bottom end of the 3800 can take 17.5 PSI and 469WHP?? Thats damn impressive, especially because they don't come with a forged bottom end as far as I know.

I just bought a Grand Prix GTP with the 3800 Series II Supercharged, never thought the engine had the ability to hold that kind of power on stock internals.

They're actually very stout engines. IIRC, there's a stock bottom end GTP in the deep 9s right now. No one has ever blown an L36 (the Camaro and N/A Grand Prix engine) from power production alone.... but right now i'm making the most power with the stock internals anyway. The Methanol and a relatively safe tune keep my engine safe, in additon.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm not sure where Tim from Intense ended up with his bonnie but he's known to have some smoking 3800's.
    There's a link I posted of him going 8's in a v6 f-body.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

if ya'll want vids, i can post them of a guy local to me that runs 8's in his FI v6 firebird.

3.4l's of sex.....

green
    93' Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchFun View Post
    if ya'll want vids, i can post them of a guy local to me that runs 8's in his FI v6 firebird.
    who are we to deny your sharing??? go for it brother.

Torch Red
    1999 Camaro Z28

I have always felt that the 3800 runs pretty damn strong for only a v6. Ofcoarse that is assuming it's kept in good running order.
    And with gas prices the way they are these days , we may just see more of a market for modded / built v6's.

Any motor can be built to run fast , it's really what you plan to invest in it.

Simple , more air , more fuel , less restriction = power... Plant it to the ground = fast !

The rest is to figure out how to go about doing that. Turbo ?? Supercharged ?? ect...thats the fun of building your car is all the creative ideas out there to apply and use. Maybe even make better !
    Smoking Tires won't cause cancer

1999 Camaro Z28 Torch Red 318 RWH / 330 Torque

1996 Camaro RS Polo Green

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    need to put a lot of money into a v-6 to make it hang with a v-8. Up to you but superchargeing, turbochargeing or nitrous is always an option.
    My 3.4 with 3500 heads in a 3rdgen Firebird should be able to smoke stock LT1's. Expecting over 250 to the wheels. That's more than my iron head 3.1 did with a turbo. Then boost is getting added again after N/A testing

Thread Information