Thread: v6 more power?

silver
    2000 camaro

v6 more power?

i have already installed a cold air intake,
    what are some more inexpensive ways to give my v6 more power?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by drjcamaro View Post
    i have already installed a cold air intake,
    what are some more inexpensive ways to give my v6 more power?
    Headers, exhaust, tune. Blower (oops)... You won't see big gains without getting into the motor tho..
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-10-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Oh and welcome to the site. Next time try posting in the V6 section. Keeps the Mods happy if they don't have to move stuff.. Nice to add a v6 guy to the clan too.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Moved

Smittro is our board V6 expert! Listen to what he says and take it in... lets just say... he's something of a guru!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

benoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Headers, exhaust, tune. Blower (oops)... You won't see big gains without getting into the motor tho..
    ^ ditto. long tubes will give you the best result but you're limited on the one or two companies that make long tubes for our v6s and they are quite expensive.

a good tune up also frees up some lost hp. spark plugs, spark plug wires, clean out your throttle body, oxygen sensors, fuel filter, etc. will help out too.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Now with that said. For not much money just some time you could get a set of FWD series-I valve springs (VIN-L) and an l67 roller set. They'er much more performance oriented and a stronger spring set up and the roller would be from an sc FWD. That in addition to a set of tubes and so forth. Then go get a good tune raise the limiter a little and you'll have a more efficient use of the power and the gains from the above. 250+ crank hp is atainable relatively cheaply with the n/a 3800-II.. Throw a set of gears @ it and you're in LT1 territory.. Thanks to the Buick guys the after market for our cars is growing and growing. I'd wager that the Fiero guys got their hands in there somewhere too. But I doubt they have the influence the Buick guys have.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-10-2010 at 11:54 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Moved

Smittro is our board V6 expert! Listen to what he says and take it in... lets just say... he's something of a guru!

Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

Would it be possible to swap in an L67? I know you'd have to change a few things since it comes from a FWD car, but that seems like it would be a cheap way to make some power. Otherwise you could put a Gen 5 blower on your motor with a bit of work.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Nero.Jacinth View Post
    Would it be possible to swap in an L67? I know you'd have to change a few things since it comes from a FWD car, but that seems like it would be a cheap way to make some power. Otherwise you could put a Gen 5 blower on your motor with a bit of work.
    You could, however there's really no need to yank the motor for the eton 90sc. The entire top end off the l67 will bolt right on your engine. You'll just have to figure out how to get the TB around towards the front.

Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

Now that would be a sexy upgrade for a V6 Fbody, 250 horse with basically one upgrade. Put some headers and exhaust, and throw a 3.4" pulley on it, mmmmm mmmmmm.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Nero.Jacinth View Post
    Now that would be a sexy upgrade for a V6 Fbody, 250 horse with basically one upgrade. Put some headers and exhaust, and throw a 3.4" pulley on it, mmmmm mmmmmm.
    You can tune for the higher CR you'd see from your stock pistons too. Now that I've got your attention. They also make complete forged bottom ends and stroker sets for us now too. hehehehe
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-11-2010 at 03:22 AM.

silver
    2000 camaro

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Oh and welcome to the site. Next time try posting in the V6 section. Keeps the Mods happy if they don't have to move stuff.. Nice to add a v6 guy to the clan too.
    ha ok, and thanks

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'm gonna bust a myth while I'm @ it for you guys. This is a head from my new set of heads for my l36.

The castings for the l67 and l36 are indentical with the exception of the 3 holes for the l67 injectors and a set of slightly heavier valve springs. The l36 even has the spots where the holes would be drilled for the l67 application. They would go where the "lumps" are above each intake port.

Same valve dia and all as the l67 heads.
    (Myth) Some say the l67 has better flow than the l36. I find it doubtfull. Notice the closeness of the water jacket to the intake port. The inside wall seperation is around 3/16" or less. Unless they changed the castings, which they did not, there's not much refinement happening here.

However you can remove a good amount of matterial from the exhaust ports seeing as how (imho) they were made far too small and quite a bit from the top of the intake ports on the n/a heads only... The exhaust are smaller than the ports on your/our factory manifolds which are perfectly round to boot, notice the head ports are'nt even close to being round.

Blocks are the same as well, and internals are semiforged for both. The only real difference is the cam, valve springs, and piston type, and 6 holes in the heads. Same stroke same bore same mains..
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-12-2010 at 02:11 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

To be honest I never really cared for the 3.8 3800-I-II-III. That is untill I started digging into its history. Aspects of this engine go way back, can you say "Wildcat"?! How about Buick 350? All are cusins to what's under our hoods today. Some specs still match to this day across the years. The engine holds awards in almost every catagory from racing, right on to the family grocery getter which it recieved awards in longjevity(sp) and reliablity.. In my honest oppinion, you can't go wrong building one of these.. Sorry for the thread jack...
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-12-2010 at 02:33 AM.

Yellow
    1997 Camaro

just let it eat that's all you have to do, I seen these go 12.48 NA and some vender cars 8.6@150 with a turbo (or 2)....... and one is a FWD GTP LOL.
    Last edited by Turbo V6 Camaro; 05-21-2010 at 10:26 AM.
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod at least that i can find that's street legal)
    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty
    Click for full size

Thread Information