Thread: V6 Mods list

Navy Blue
    2000 Firebird

V6 Mods list

Hey guys,

Ive been looking around on this site and others for sugestions concerning my 2000 firebird. Im not looking to be heavily modified, but Id like a more responsive, better handling vehicle. Its by far the best daily driver Ive ever had, but theres always room for improvement. The previous "mod tips for v6", had some good information on that subject, but it was a little scattered among other discussions.

Would someone with the knowledge take a minute and put together a solid, ground up list? Start us off with any free mods, then mods less than 200.00, less than 500.00, ect.

Feel free to use my car as an example: 2000 firebird, bone stock, automatic, 130K. My goal for the car is pretty general. Im just looking for better responce in power and handling. My plan for now is a tune up, then a lid and exhaust setup.

The WS6 forum here has a similar list geared to V8s * Basic bolt on's list and some explinations *, so how bout a list like that for us? I know different ideas have been covered a million ways in other threads, but Im the kind of guy that likes a simple 'get in, get the stuff, get out' kind of list. Thanks in advance

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I had a v6 camaro before my SS and I didn't do a lot of performance mods, but I do have a feeling its all the same. pick one that you want to start off with... intake or exhaust... find the weakest point in each one and mod accordingly... all I can remember for the intake on the 3800 would be to get a lid and kn filter. oh and there is a free ram air mod you can do to your air box... you've got to do a search on that. next you can do a cat-back exhaust... I bet that'd free up some horses for you. then look into headers.

modding isn't cheap and I've learned it takes more patience than cash. keep researching and you'll be alright

2000pontiac6
    Hold off on the tune until youre semi-satisfied with the mods youve done. You will get a much better gain if you tune after. Start off with intake (lid, filter) and a cat-back exhaust system then when you want more get some headers. Also a stall converter is always recommended for one of the automatics first mods. Next its up to you if you want to go suspension or go with a cam or something that will lay down better numbers.

black
    97 ss

HEY THERE'S A GREAT LITTLE DO DAD FROM CASPER ELECTRONICS THAT GIVES BETTER THROTTLE RESPONSE. I SWEAR IT MADE A DIFFERANCE, I EVEN NOTICED IT IN THE EXHAUST TONE.O WAIT I HAPPEN TO HAVE ONE FOR SALE . CHECK IT OUT UNDER PARTS FOR SALE..3800 V6 MOD.... I KNOW SHAMLESS AD. I BELIEVE ANYONE W/A 6 WILL LIKE IT . I ALWAYS GOT A HALF CAR LENGTH OUT OF THE HOLE ON OTHER 6's.

if u want some better handle better get a set of 1LE sway bars and a some umi lcas and phb...more throttle responce do a tune up....those can never hurt also get a intake/headers/hiflow cat/catback exhaust....u get those things ull have a good handlin/accelterating v6 fbod....i should know since i got most of those mods on my RS

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

I have 124K and my suspension was dead in the water. Install poly sway bar bushings, TQ arm bushing, and new shock all around. I also bought new springs from Suspension Technolgies to stiffen it up and lower it a bit, plus they are cheaper and stiffer by 30lbs than the V-8 Eibach Prokit.

sethta
    1. Lid and Filter
    2. Subframe Connectors
    3. Lcas and Panhard
    4. Catback and FTRA
    5. Headers
    These are a few basics, starting with the least expensive and going to the most.

Thread Information