Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 131415161718 LastLast

TT halted ugh but yay.....

This is a discussion on TT halted ugh but yay..... within the V6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; If it's there it will be easy to spot. Truth be told I have only touched one fwd auto transmission ...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If it's there it will be easy to spot. Truth be told I have only touched one fwd auto transmission and that was to swap in some busted parts for another class. What era were these used in? Most of the stuff in the shop isn't much older than the late 90's.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    If it's there it will be easy to spot. Truth be told I have only touched one fwd auto transmission and that was to swap in some busted parts for another class. What era were these used in? Most of the stuff in the shop isn't much older than the late 90's.
    90-98ish.. then the 4t65e 4t65eHD (more junk lol).. and a few others before all were scrapped for more modern designs..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    90-98ish.. then the 4t65e 4t65eHD (more junk lol).. and a few others before all were scrapped for more modern designs..
    Very common in obd1 cars.. from j body to mini van..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The 4T60-E (and similar 4T65-E) is a series of automatic transmissions from General Motors. Designed for transverse engine configurations, the series includes 4 forward gears. The 4Txx family is an evolution of the original Turbo-Hydramatic 125 transverse automatic introduced in the late 1970s.
    The "-E" transmission is electronically controlled and features an automatic overdrive transaxle with an electronically controlled torque converter clutch.
    The 4T65 is built at Warren Transmission in Warren, Michigan

The 4T60 was the transitional model from the old Hydramatic (formerly called the 440-T4 aka 4T60) to the new electronically-controlled transverse family. Introduced in 1984 on the 1985 C-bodies, it was enhanced with electronic controls to become the 4T60-E in 1991. By the mid-1990s, the 4T60-E was the transmission of choice in nearly every front-wheel drive GM vehicle. A heavy-duty 4T60-E HD was produced only in 1996 for the supercharged GM 3800 engine. The 4T60-E was phased out in favor of the 4T65 beginning in 1997.
    The 4T60-E featured a 245mm torque converter with varying stall speed and gear ratios. Stall speed is the rpm(revolutions per minute) that the converter reaches maximum efficiency and is correlated with the engine and vehicle weight for the best combination of power and efficiency for the vehicle. (For example a '95 Beretta features a 1650rpm stall converter as opposed to '99 Century converter with a stall of 2095rpm.) Gear ratios are remarkable in the 4T60 family in that there are two points in which the transmission can have different gearing (the drive-chain sprockets and the differential, or Final Drive) resulting in up to 12 different available gear ratios. The combined gearing of the two is called the Overall Axle Ratio, and the different ratios allow the use of the transmission in multiple applications based on the engine and vehicle. Please note then that there are up to 12 different versions of the 4T60-E, and they should not be mixed as undesired operation would occur.
    Gear ratios:

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The 4T60-E (and similar 4T65-E) is a series of automatic transmissions from General Motors. Designed for transverse engine configurations, the series includes 4 forward gears. The 4Txx family is an evolution of the original Turbo-Hydramatic 125 transverse automatic introduced in the late 1970s.
    The "-E" transmission is electronically controlled and features an automatic overdrive transaxle with an electronically controlled torque converter clutch.
    The 4T65 is built at Warren Transmission in Warren, Michigan

The 4T60 was the transitional model from the old Hydramatic (formerly called the 440-T4 aka 4T60) to the new electronically-controlled transverse family. Introduced in 1984 on the 1985 C-bodies, it was enhanced with electronic controls to become the 4T60-E in 1991. By the mid-1990s, the 4T60-E was the transmission of choice in nearly every front-wheel drive GM vehicle. A heavy-duty 4T60-E HD was produced only in 1996 for the supercharged GM 3800 engine. The 4T60-E was phased out in favor of the 4T65 beginning in 1997.
    The 4T60-E featured a 245mm torque converter with varying stall speed and gear ratios. Stall speed is the rpm(revolutions per minute) that the converter reaches maximum efficiency and is correlated with the engine and vehicle weight for the best combination of power and efficiency for the vehicle. (For example a '95 Beretta features a 1650rpm stall converter as opposed to '99 Century converter with a stall of 2095rpm.) Gear ratios are remarkable in the 4T60 family in that there are two points in which the transmission can have different gearing (the drive-chain sprockets and the differential, or Final Drive) resulting in up to 12 different available gear ratios. The combined gearing of the two is called the Overall Axle Ratio, and the different ratios allow the use of the transmission in multiple applications based on the engine and vehicle. Please note then that there are up to 12 different versions of the 4T60-E, and they should not be mixed as undesired operation would occur.
    Gear ratios:
    Great explanation of a huge POS!..

Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

I honestly don't know how fast it will be except way faster than stock lol ( mid-high 14 low 15's)... I guess I might get high 13's with 350hp or so to the the road being my goal.. But we'll see. I'm shaving weight where I can but have to add some of it back for extra strength to mounts and a power train craddle.. Traction will be my biggest issue if going for ET's..
    I went mid 13s with 100 less hp in my heavier 2nd Gen W.....

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I went mid 13s with 100 less hp in my heavier 2nd Gen W.....
    I honestly don't know how it would do.. 13's would be ok.. Faster would be better but I'm not sure how much drag racing I'll do.. Prolly just a few times to see how it does.. Like test and tune stuff.. I can't tune so I'm having a friend whom knows how do the tunning. I figure that's when it will see the most track time.. Then of course to be sure, get her on a dyno..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Gray/ White

Not gonna have Ben do the tuning?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Question

Not gonna have Ben do the tuning?
    If you're talking about Ben from 60*v6?

Does he do stand alone units with touch screen interface? In SD? I never even thought about askin'..Duh

My buddy tunes (diesel trucks and gas) on the side.. I'll get a free tune and free lessons.. Cuz what I know is very limited but enough to be dangerous..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-21-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What is the closest track to you?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    What is the closest track to you?
    Keystone, or now called Pittsburgh international raceway.
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-21-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Gray/ White

If you're talking about Ben from 60*v6?

Does he do stand alone units with touch screen interface? In SD? I never even thought about askin'..Duh

My buddy tunes (diesel trucks and gas) on the side.. I'll get a free tune and free lessons.. Cuz what I know is very limited but enough to be dangerous..
    Just remember he was burning chips years ago when I had my 94. But yes that Ben

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Just remember he was burning chips years ago when I had my 94. But yes that Ben
    Yep he still burns chips iirc.. He's a great help..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-21-2010 at 10:56 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Bell does'nt match.. The hunt continues...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Bell does'nt match.. The hunt continues...

Sounds like time for a custom adapter plate.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Oh man Jeff I tell you what, this transmission build up has been one headache after another.. Your idea has crossed my mind.. 4 out of 6 holes line up perfectly 2 others miss and it will put the starter in a odd possion.. What a nightmare... The shop knew what engine I planned as well and said nothing about it being the wrong bell.. If I had caught it earlier I could have swapped front cases before sending it to the shop.. Now I have to locate a case half and then send it back to the shop again.. eff me sideways...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Ordered 6 cases and 4 transmissions (used) After I get everything in I'll send them all to a shop for a custom trans build from (definetly) a different shop.. Then I'll build a few more myself in my spare time for spare units.. I should have caught this myself but what's done is done now.. It happens I guess.. I can either sell it or send it along with the parts and have the bell/case changed. I'm worried about the trany build now tho so we'll see what the shop says about the parts used in the 282 with the wrong bell..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-22-2010 at 05:19 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up Change of course

This! I've desided since it's a 50/50ish match to go ahead and make an adaptor.. Everything checks out internally. I can't bring myself to using a used case half on a virgin trany.. Like I was sayin' 4 holes line up. Also it just so happens to be the important holes.. I think I can modify the current bell so I can mount the starter as well.. The LQ1 starter is block mounted. Where as the quad motors starter is mounted @ 2 o'clock so I'll be needing to mod the current bell for a block mounted starter.. It's a one off anyway so what the hell eh?

So onward and upward..

More to come! Headers!
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-31-2010 at 02:56 AM.

Red
    '98 Z28 M6

so if the project has been discontinued here, are you continuing on another site?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Discontinued.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 131415161718 LastLast

Thread Information